What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 and @maglil55 -- as to the quail eggs, I did google the time for soft boiled eggs before. It said 2 minutes and 15 second after putting them into boiling water. I left them 15 seconds longer just to be sure, worked out perfectly. Just peeling them was a pain in the ... -- really not worth it imo.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All todays intake:
Breakfast: slice LivLife toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch: egg mayo, little gem leaves. 2 teasp peanut butter (no excuse to offer)
Supper will be mushrooms fried in butter, sirloin steak.
Just poured a G&ST.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 and @maglil55 -- as to the quail eggs, I did google the time for soft boiled eggs before. It said 2 minutes and 15 second after putting them into boiling water. I left them 15 seconds longer just to be sure, worked out perfectly. Just peeling them was a pain in the ... -- really not worth it imo.

Hi Ziggy - Don't you have a good old egg cooker? I still have mine from when I lived in Germany - fun, convenient thing.

Reactions: DJC3 and ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ziggy - Don't you have a good old egg cooker? I still have mine from when I lived in Germany - fun, convenient thing.

Hi @DCUKMod. How funny that you own one of these things! I remember my mother used to own one, but didn't really get used a lot. (My mother wasn't really much into cooking at all).

Unfortunately, I don't have one myself. My husband wanted to buy one, but we have a very, very small kitchen, so I try to edit the appliances we do own -- a blender, a handheld mixer, a food processor, a toaster, a coffee grinder and a huge espresso machine (which in my mind is a "can't do without appliance", even though it takes up a extraordinary amount of space).

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was rather hungry today after the small amount of food I had yesterday so I had a few slivers of cheese this morning along with several cups of tea. I just used my air fryer to do some chicken wings. I was looking forward to it all day but I was so disappointed. The flavour was lovely but the skins were not at all crispy. I had them in the fryer at 200C for 25 minutes and they were certainly cooked so I had to take them out. I'd have been better using my oven.

Maybe something not right with the air fryer. I'll try again but be ready to put things in the oven if it doesn't work very well. Pork belly in the freezer, so that seems like a good idea.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Yesterday Breakfast was leftover pancakes with black coffee dinner I made chicken tandoori thighs and wings had them with green beans broccoli and garlic yogurt with cucumbers. I found some popudoms and nuked them and a small peice of sweet potato that I baked with the tandoori sauce and some eggplant pickles I ate so much was hungry for change mmm maybe the steoroids. After eating cleaned up and cravings started again I'm sure my cravings is from comfort eating so had some chocolate need to stop this... Anyway Its 4.30am got up to use the BR so I am going back to sleep hopefully to get 2 more hours before getting up to get ready to go into Sydney to catch up with an old work friend.
20191016_180328.jpeg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tea until about 11.30 then hot chocolate/cocoa (almond milk, cream, Lidl or Aldi coca powder); mackerel and avocado salad for lunch (bg dropped .8 at 2 hrs - quite unusual). Evening was celagne (slivers of celeriac - 3 layers, with ragu, no cheese sauce faff just slices of mozzarella and grated mozzarella on top). Liked the food and overall the day was very much The Road Not taken day. Did a new deal on selling this house and buying one needing some work. I'll know in 6 months to a year if I took the right path. Grandson approves - 30 seconds in the car from his house - he was with his dad when they drove past to take a look. Talk on the road not taken played while I was on the exercise bike - so apt. Hope you folk had good days.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Baking update. Cakes successfully trialled using a scaled down version of the recipe from @SueJB (thank you) to make 4 large muffins. A few adjustments need to be made: add slightly more zest to the cake, frosting a bit too runny (maybe because I added extra lemon juice - will add to the cake mix next time and also add some butter to the mix; not quite enough orange colouring for a garish Halloween look. Of course there will also be Halloween themed chocolates on top of the frosting.

Tasted pretty good and very filling too.

38CA4D41-37F3-4D7C-AA11-279DF487E7C2.jpeg
A5CA9BE4-FC91-45AB-A305-E4549676C7FB.jpeg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Think it’s almost four weeks since I last recorded my food and can’t even attempt today to catch up on everyone’s posts.once I get time I will attempt a read as sure I’ve missed lots of news. So can’t list my last few weeks just give my absence note! My holiday in Dubrovnik was out of this world and terrific much needed time out, no bg checking, lots of floating in the sea, lots of hiking and exploring and relatively low carb. Since then lots of caring responsibilities and crises and as most recent one now temporarily sorted I need to get back on track. Stress puts up my bgs big time so need to be careful. Today’s food:
Breakfast bacon and egg and one slice of livlife toast
Dinner salmon in lemon butter, cauliflower cheese and green beans with glass dry white wine followed by sf jelly and yoghurt.
Hope all well and will make serious effort to do my homework and catch up!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Think it’s almost four weeks since I last recorded my food and can’t even attempt today to catch up on everyone’s posts.once I get time I will attempt a read as sure I’ve missed lots of news. So can’t list my last few weeks just give my absence note! My holiday in Dubrovnik was out of this world and terrific much needed time out, no bg checking, lots of floating in the sea, lots of hiking and exploring and relatively low carb. Since then lots of caring responsibilities and crises and as most recent one now temporarily sorted I need to get back on track. Stress puts up my bgs big time so need to be careful. Today’s food:
Dinner salmon in lemon butter, cauliflower cheese and green beans with glass dry white wine followed by sf jelly and yoghurt.

Welcome back @shelley262 lovely to see you here again.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to see you back. Glad you enjoyed the holiday and certain you will be back on track if you actually ever went off track.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
O/T anyone watching eat well for less? Absolutely shocking

I just switched it off. Couldn’t bear to watch and was dreading what was to come masquerading as a healthy diet for type 2. I need to de-stress at this time of day, not start throwing things at the TV :banghead:

Reactions: DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just switched it off. Couldn’t bear to watch and was dreading what was to come masquerading as a healthy diet for type 2. I need to de-stress at this time of day, not start throwing things at the TV :banghead:
I just found the complete lack of mention of carbs disturbing. This programme just feeds the view people have of T2 as inevitably progressive and self inflicted. Now the focus is on calories and the nutritionist's ideas are definitely not lc. No mention of carbohydrate.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just found the complete lack of mention of carbs disturbing. This programme just feeds the view people have of T2 as inevitably progressive and self inflicted. Now the focus is on calories and the nutritionist's ideas are definitely not lc.

Judging by what I’m hearing on Facebook and Twitter, I’d wager that some of the ‘healthy’ substitutions are higher carb than the original. Truly shocking.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: left over liver and bacon and mixed veggies followed by Greek yoghurt, raspberries and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: keralan chicken curry with cauliflower rice followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And breathe. I've finally caught up. Welcome back @shelley262 Glad you had a wonderful break. @ziggy_w, I used to do a dish with soft boiled quail eggs that involved a rocket and pea shoot salad, mini tomatoes, pigeon breast and the soft boiled quail eggs with a lemon and agave dressing. As you say they really are awful to peel. I'd plunge them into icy water but eventually I'd delegate the peeling to Hubby.
Today has been a kind of good day. I have heat and hot water again! New boiler is installed and has an IQ system which speaks to British Gas so in theory they should know before we do if anything goes wrong. It is very, very quiet.
Not so good the left headlight on my car is going on and off and the dealership says they can't fix it. So back to Motability. I guess my next car won't be a Ford.
B. TAG with ADOC and one of these M&S mini muffins. Gas installer was there early so that was it.
L. Nothing
D. Last 4 thin cut lamb chops with mint and the remains of the halloumi wrapped in Parma ham all air fried. Small pot of strawberries with cream and 2 bits G&B mint.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
16-10-19
Breakfast: one slice pain kapnor and peanut butter. Tea
Lunch. 2 slices of pain kapnor with pâté
Tea. Or was.it coffee
Few, or lot of walnuts, depending on perspective.
Tea
Wine
MrSlim opened bottle.of Cremamt de Loire
Dinner fish on breadcrumbs. Beans. Peas. Few potato rösti. More Cremant.