Type 2 into remission

Ria

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed as type 2 nearly 6 years ago. Through regular testing I found what I could eat ok. I reduced sugar and carbs -no bread, pasta, white rice and absolutely no soft drinks, not even fruit juice. The 5:2 diet helped me to lose 2.5 stone down to 11.5 stone. My HBA1C quite quickly went down to 43. It has been 42-47 for 5 years now. Today I was officially classed as no longer being a diabetic. So to all if you a diagnosis of diabetes does not need to be for life. It is possible to go into remission even without drastic diets or a stomach reduction operation. Find out what you can eat without spiking your sugar too much. If you are overweight find a diet that works for you. I find it quite easy to just eat a lot less on 1-2 days a week. If you can use an app such as MyNetDiary to monitor exactly what you eat. It really does help by showing you exactly how many calories you eat. But don’t be ruled by it. It’s ok to enjoy a treat or have a diet free day a few times a month. Eat when you are hungry and eat slowly. I also found that all I needed for breakfast was a satsuma or orange. This kept me going until 12:30-13. If I ate more I would be hungry at 10:30-11.
Try to do some daily exercises such as yoga or HIit. Again I use apps for this: daily yoga, 8fit
With a bit of will power and research into what works for you, you too can go into remission.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done, @Ria. Glad that you found a way for your unique circumstances. We all need to do that.

Are you saying your HbA1c is now in pre-diabetic levels? Who has classed you as being no longer diabetic? Sorry for all the questions, but will this mean you no longer have annual retinopathy tests?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I was diagnosed as type 2 nearly 6 years ago. Through regular testing I found what I could eat ok. I reduced sugar and carbs -no bread, pasta, white rice and absolutely no soft drinks, not even fruit juice. The 5:2 diet helped me to lose 2.5 stone down to 11.5 stone. My HBA1C quite quickly went down to 43. It has been 42-47 for 5 years now. Today I was officially classed as no longer being a diabetic. So to all if you a diagnosis of diabetes does not need to be for life. It is possible to go into remission even without drastic diets or a stomach reduction operation. Find out what you can eat without spiking your sugar too much. If you are overweight find a diet that works for you. I find it quite easy to just eat a lot less on 1-2 days a week. If you can use an app such as MyNetDiary to monitor exactly what you eat. It really does help by showing you exactly how many calories you eat. But don’t be ruled by it. It’s ok to enjoy a treat or have a diet free day a few times a month. Eat when you are hungry and eat slowly. I also found that all I needed for breakfast was a satsuma or orange. This kept me going until 12:30-13. If I ate more I would be hungry at 10:30-11.
Try to do some daily exercises such as yoga or HIit. Again I use apps for this: daily yoga, 8fit
With a bit of will power and research into what works for you, you too can go into remission.
Well done @Ria :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @Ria You found the best way for you, and now the hard work starts to maintain it!

You will still get the annual retinal screening. That will continue for life following any diabetes diagnosis. You may find your blood tests reduce to annual though.

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations. Very encouraging indeed and thanks also for the useful tips in attaining your goal.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm half way there @Ria . Just stopped my basal and using bolus for corrections, only. Metformin is helping with testosterone levels from PCOS.
I'm looking forward to my next Hba1c in 3mths. :) :) :)

Reactions: NaijaChick

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are lucky to be able to eat citrus fruit for breakfast - but at least I don't need to bother with calorie counting, and on my mostly protein and fat breakfast I don't need to eat anything until evening - we are all so very different in what we can eat, yet we are told we don't need to test - totally bonkers.

Ria

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, @Ria. Glad that you found a way for your unique circumstances. We all need to do that.

Are you saying your HbA1c is now in pre-diabetic levels? Who has classed you as being no longer diabetic? Sorry for all the questions, but will this mean you no longer have annual retinopathy tests?

@Pipp I saw my doctor today. She told me that, as I my Hba1c had been below 48 for more that a year I was now officially no longer diabetic. I will no longer need 6 monthly blood tests nor yearly clinic appointments to check feet etc. I am not sure about the retinopathy check. I will still have yearly blood tests to keep an eye on my sugar hba1c. Only if they are above 48 will they call be in for feet test etc.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for reply, @Ria.
I have been in a similar situation in the past. I argued with GP to still allow the annual retinopathy, Even though I got HbA1c levels below the pre-diabetes level of 42.
Not wishing to take anything from your achievement, but would,in your circumstances, be cautious as the levels are still in pre-diabetes range. I would use BG meter to keep monitoring BG myself , and request annual retinopathy.

Best wishes for your continued success and good health.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Ria well done. My Hba1c has been in non diabetic levels for approx 6 years but I have been told that I am still diabetic albeit well controlled! I saw my DN last week and she still wants me to have my hba1c checked and a review every 6 months - although they’ve been a little erratic over the last year or so due to the practices’ lack of diabetic nurses. I’m beginning to wonder if they get funding for diabetics so, as I’m fairly cheap to run, they keep me on the diabetic register.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP insists I am no longer diabetic, but has coded me as "hyperglycemic, non diabetic". In other words, I am off the diabetes register but still have 6 monthly blood tests with an annual review with the nurse. I no longer get foot checks, but do have the annual eye screening.

Dark Horse

I am not sure about the retinopathy check.
The current official guidance is that if you have ever had an official diagnosis of diabetes (barring temporary diabetes due to steroids or gestational diabetes), you should be screened at least annually for diabetic retinopathy for life:-
https://phescreening.blog.gov.uk/20...dont-slip-through-diabetic-eye-screening-net/

Edited to add: you can show your GP this link if they are in any doubt:-
https://assets.publishing.service.g...87/DES_07_GP_information_sheet_March_2016.pdf

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
<snip>

I applaud your success. :)

However I must respectfully point out that just because it worked for you it may not work for everyone.
So you should, perhaps, be saying that you may be able to go into remission.
Not everyone can, despite weight loss, diet, Yoga and other exercise.

I'm sure that this isn't your intention, but saying that if you just try hard you can go into remission is almost blaming anyone who does but can't.

We are all different.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am still registered as Prediabetic. I am having 6 monthly HBA1c tests now. I am classified as such so that they can keep an eye on me.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
@Pipp I saw my doctor today. She told me that, as I my Hba1c had been below 48 for more that a year I was now officially no longer diabetic. I will no longer need 6 monthly blood tests nor yearly clinic appointments to check feet etc. I am not sure about the retinopathy check. I will still have yearly blood tests to keep an eye on my sugar hba1c. Only if they are above 48 will they call be in for feet test etc.
Hi @Ria, very well done, you have achieved the equivalent of getting into the national football team. Diabetes is like the young upstart looking to take your place in said team, so it pays to continue to work hard to maintain your place.

I have fought to keep 6 monthly tests. It is a technical right of yours to have either 6 months or a year for diabetes checks. The foot check should be annual and as stated above eye tests are annual also. I'd you have any further medical concerns such as liver and kidney function, you can ask for these but should have good rationale for these (I am able to sometimes get a full blood count); I pay privately for fasting insulin, hs-CRP, fructosamine and a comparative HbA1c.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm doing to insist on yearly feet and eye check. If I get there.

Ria

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I applaud your success. :)

However I must respectfully point out that just because it worked for you it may not work for everyone.
So you should, perhaps, be saying that you may be able to go into remission.
Not everyone can, despite weight loss, diet, Yoga and other exercise.

I'm sure that this isn't your intention, but saying that if you just try hard you can go into remission is almost blaming anyone who does but can't.

We are all different.

Sorry. You are right. Meant to say you too may go into remission. I was hoping to get across that we are all different and if possible to test bs with a wide variety of foods and perhaps change of food times, to see what works and what doesn’t.

D

Deleted member 308541

I saw my doctor today. She told me that, as I my Hba1c had been below 48 for more that a year I was now officially no longer diabetic. I will no longer need 6 monthly blood tests nor yearly clinic appointments to check feet etc. I am not sure about the retinopathy check. I will still have yearly blood tests to keep an eye on my sugar hba1c. Only if they are above 48 will they call be in for feet test etc.
I have been in the middle 30's mmol/mol for the last eight hba1c blood tests, I am termed under excellent control as both my GP and CDE state there is no in remission / reversed for T2 label in Australia.

I still get three free monthly blood tests for hba1c, cholesterol / lipids etc. ✓
I get five free visits a year to a podiatrist for my feet check etc. ✓
I get a free complete diabetic eye checkup once a year from my optometrist. ✓

bXkGdsh.jpg

Ria

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant result @Tipetoo. Here in UK they now do accept that if you manage to stay below 48 without medication for at least a year you can be classed as being in remission.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brilliant result @Tipetoo. Here in UK they now do accept that if you manage to stay below 48 without medication for at least a year you can be classed as being in remission.

My DN told me it was under 42 (pre diabetic levels).

Reactions: ickihun