BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Marscapone 44% fat
Cheddar 35% fat
Ricotta 7% fat
If that is useful, interesting or significant I have no idea, I just eat them.
And you are okay for that? Presumably yes? :D

I like Philadelphia too. And Brie.

Last edited:

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And you are okay for that? Presumably yes? :D

I like Philadelphia too. And Brie.

I’m sort of struggling to see why you’re asking because you are very knowledgeable about this WOE and cream cheese isn’t that far away from butter and double cream. If it doesn’t affect your BS levels and isn't making you fat then eat it. We know that sat fat doesn’t cause bad cholesterol levels, carbs and PUFA’s can though.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will wait and see what they say in their own good time.

I will probably go down the route suggested by Tipetoo and have a cholesterol test done at the local pharmacist.
It is my understanding the cholesterol testing done by pharmacists is purely total cholesterol, as opposed to the components.

Should you care to have something more detailed, away from your doctor supported test routine, there are a number of labs and sites doing them these days for a modest amount.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m sort of struggling to see why you’re asking because you are very knowledgeable about this WOE and cream cheese isn’t that far away from butter and double cream. If it doesn’t affect your BS levels and isn't making you fat then eat it. We know that sat fat doesn’t cause bad cholesterol levels, carbs and PUFA’s can though.
I am eating a lot of the stuff and am really trying to see what the consensus of opinion is on doing that. I kind of think I might well be on safe ground doing that but not totally convinced. I am eating fat in quantities that I havent done for many many years so for me it is uncharted territory. Also as a reminder, I have no gall bladder.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is my understanding the cholesterol testing done by pharmacists is purely total cholesterol, as opposed to the components.
Okay. Thats a shame. I had my HbA1c done a couple of weeks ago but no other test related info is available. Just the HbA1c result. I might just ask reception if they did other tests at the same time.

I note Lloyds Pharmacy do a test. I shall check with them to see how comprehensive it is. I think there is a fee all the same.

At the end of the day, if my weight is continuing to drop steadily and my BP is coming down then they are probably a good indicator that all is well. I actually feel fine and digestion hasnt been a problem.

Last edited:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Marscapone. As an alternative to Greek yogurt and or double cream. I enjoy this stuff, but is it likely to “clog our arteries up” etc?

3.5g / 100 carbs

45g / 100 fat
My advice would be not to over-think too much. Just avoid anything that's both high in carbs and high in fats. Mascapone definitely isn't!

Like Mr Pot I just eat fatty cheeses as I do butter and cream - and there's few enough carbs in any of them not to make very much difference as far as my cholesterol levels are concerned. If you were on a very tight low carb diet you might want to bother about cheesy carbs, but you're not are you! o_O

Robbity

Reactions: Listlad

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we should all know that when you eat Fat on something like a pizza, whilst it may or may not have an affect on your BG overall it is unhealthy and will probably make you gain weight.

Mascarpone on its own isn’t likely to be an issue, but if you make a Victoria sponge and use mascarpone as the filling it will not do you a lot of good.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Mascarpone on its own isn’t likely to be an issue, but if you make a Victoria sponge and use mascarpone as the filling it will not do you a lot of good.

I prefer butter cream in a Victoria sponge.

And used to like the Mascarpone sauce with pasta but no more so I may try the Mascarpone on it's own.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Should you care to have something more detailed, away from your doctor supported test routine, there are a number of labs and sites doing them these days for a modest amount.
Lloyd’s do one for £15 and give both sets of figures, so they say.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

That's good to hear.

I've just looked on their website and am a bit confused though. They seem to do a total cholesterol check for £14.99: http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/selfcheck-cholesterol-test and a further one with the breakdowns for £69. http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/lets-get-checked-heart-test

If you're going to do it, I guess the devil's in the detail.

I'll be interested to hear your outcome.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's good to hear.

I've just looked on their website and am a bit confused though. They seem to do a total cholesterol check for £14.99: http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/selfcheck-cholesterol-test and a further one with the breakdowns for £69. http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/lets-get-checked-heart-test

If you're going to do it, I guess the devil's in the detail.

I'll be interested to hear your outcome.
I phoned them last week and am going on what I was told. I will see how it goes. Maybe give them a second call to double check.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I phoned them last week and am going on what I was told. I will see how it goes. Maybe give them a second call to double check.

I have no concerns either way. I'd just not like anyone to buy something that wasn't as they thought.

Edited for typos. Stooopid iPad

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I prefer butter cream in a Victoria sponge.

And used to like the Mascarpone sauce with pasta but no more so I may try the Mascarpone on it's own.
I have been buying 250gram tubs and eating half a tub at a time with either stewed rhubarb or frozen berries. I don’t sweeten the marscarpone but use sweeteners on stewed rhubarb.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you were on a very tight low carb diet you might want to bother about cheesy carbs, but you're not are you! o_O

Exactly. I am not trying to eliminate every single carb out of my diet so at 3.5grams of carbs per 100 then a 100 gram portion is well within reasonable bounds.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Will be heading for Lloyds in the next few days. Thanks Listad

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.