A bit of a rant - sorry

Murphymycat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The word is getting out but it is patchy. Best thing is to do your own thing and when you get fabulous numbers, just hope they ask you how you did it.
I started a low carb diet a few years ago. It was made easier as my husband, who is not diabetic but is very overweight, joined me. I lost 4 stone and was taken off a lot of my meds. My GP said “I don’t know what you’re doing but carry on doing it”

Unfortunately I “fell off the wagon” and the weight crept back. I really struggled with it. When we moved house we got a new GP who is a great fan of low carb (yeahhhh, welcome to the 21st Century) and I have now got a new diabetes nurse. She is amazing. She has taken me off gliclazide and put me on Trulicity. I was apprehensive as I’m not good with needles but as it turned out it was a “piece of cake”.

Yesterday was my 5th jab and I have lost 15lbs by low carbing.

Oh the joys of haveung the medical profession in your side

Reactions: Guzzler

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My friend has been attending the new weekly 2 hours sessions (forget what’s it’s called - Carbs R Us springs to mind) for newly diagnosed pre and T2 diabetics and they are still pushing the eatwell plate. Despite me suggesting that she reduce her carbs she still eats the ‘healthy’ whole meal bread, rice and pasta, jacket potatoes and low fat fruit yoghurts etc as directed by her course tutor. She did say though that neither she or her fellow students have lost any weight despite being on the ‘diet’ for 6 weeks! I wonder why!!
Worth remembering that the NHS follows PHE diet advice and PHE are advised by a sub group called SACN. They produced the (in)famous Eatwell Plate/Guide. SACN use 'research' from several UK universities and if you dig down you will find that most of the funders of that 'research' are food companies that want us to eat carbs as they are very cheap and addictive. The Eatwell Guide was apparently signed off at a meeting comprised virtually 100% food companies representatives and that very few or no NHS health experts attended. As @sno0opy says there may be no long-term evidence to say there is no harm from a LCHF diet but I think we all know that there is stacks of evidence that our current Western HC diet IS harmful. On the balance of risks LCHF is therefore a sensible option.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
We don't have the course in Australia as far as I'm aware but my doctor recommend the equivalent of the eat well plate. I'm very very overweight- though now 11 kgs lighter than in July. I really think the doctors believe that all overweight type 2s have been eating **** for years whereas my experience is that many of us have followed man y diets. The problem with most diets is the carbs so we don't lose weight but the medical professionals assume that we are not following the diets but cheating. This is the first time I've lost weight without counting calories.

Hopefully we will eventually convince more and more doctors so more and more type 2s can get the real information and change their lives.

PamJHS

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I really think the doctors believe that all overweight type 2s have been eating **** for years whereas my experience is that many of us have followed man y diets. The problem with most diets is the carbs so we don't lose weight but the medical professionals assume that we are not following the diets but cheating. This is the first time I've lost weight without counting calories.

This is my experience as well. My gradual weight gain is quite clearly related to illnesses that have affected my mobility - such as recurrent cellulitis, and arthritis. Yet these - like almost every other illness you care to mention - are part of the great 'losing weight will help' category of illnesses. Yes, it may do - but that doesn't mean that being overweight has caused them in the first place! I've only just got treatment for the oedema in my leg, which a GP told me was probably causing the cellulitis, after 15 years! As it is, the swelling in my foot and ankle, and the pain from my hip, make it very difficult to get most shoes on, which is another factor in my lack of exercise. I've pointed this out every time a GP has mentioned weight loss to me, but to little effect, because I MUST be binge eating chocolate and buns!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Same old same old - we know better, you have to be lying about what you have been eating, either that or you are delusional.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did point out to my DN that if i was eating rubbish, how come my HbA1c level is OK? and How come I havent put on any weight in the last few years, since I ditched the Eatwell Plate?

Yes, I am still morbidly obese and YES she now recognises that my antidepressants messed up my liver to cause the massive weight gain in a short time, weight which i cannot seem to lose.

I still shudder to think that i was recommended by a GP, 10 years ago, before even diagnosed as pre-diabetic, to eat a whole tin of rice pudding and a banana for breakfast to give me more energy.

PamJHS

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for all your replies, really helpful to know that I'm not the only one who gets fed up with this kind of 'education'.

I'm off on the first session of the Healthy Living group tomorrow - more of the same, I imagine. A diabetic friend told me they give away quite a lot of resources, including a tape measure ... I'm looking forward to that!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@PamJHS you can never have too many tape measures!