Worry for 2nd HbA1c

sweetierufus

Since been diagnosed in June my eating habits have improved and lost 1.5 stone. However, I feel I may have undone all my hard work over the last three weeks. I went on two self-catering caravan hols and fell off the band wagon. Had sugary treats and more alcohol than usual. Its hasn’t helped that I brought back a cold with me so feeling run down. I’m now trying to go back to lower carbs but it is a struggle when you’ve fallen off it.

Feel guilty as know how bad sugar is for me and eating too much of it got me into this trouble in first place! I'm not beating myself up too much as I was on holiday and we all need a break, however since been back it’s been hard to regain focus. Found I’m craving sweets again. I’ve struggled for years with binge-eating and fall back into it every now and then.:bag:

My second HbA1c due and need to book it but worried the last 3 weeks I been careless with my eating. I’m concerned the result will be awful.

I guess I will have to just face the consequences.:nailbiting:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Treat it all as part of your education and climb back on the wagon.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried pieces of cheese or nuts etc to snack on and reduce the carb craving?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your HbA1c gives you an average for the last three months, so if you were good for the rest of that time, it may not be quite as bad as you think - and you can blame your cold for a little bit of any increase involved...

Robbity

Reactions: jjraak and EllieM

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since been diagnosed in June my eating habits have improved and lost 1.5 stone. However, I feel I may have undone all my hard work over the last three weeks. I went on two self-catering caravan hols and fell off the band wagon. Had sugary treats and more alcohol than usual. Its hasn’t helped that I brought back a cold with me so feeling run down. I’m now trying to go back to lower carbs but it is a struggle when you’ve fallen off it.

Feel guilty as know how bad sugar is for me and eating too much of it got me into this trouble in first place! I'm not beating myself up too much as I was on holiday and we all need a break, however since been back it’s been hard to regain focus. Found I’m craving sweets again. I’ve struggled for years with binge-eating and fall back into it every now and then.:bag:

My second HbA1c due and need to book it but worried the last 3 weeks I been careless with my eating. I’m concerned the result will be awful.

I try never to avoid the tests; even if I think I could have done better for whatever reason.

Thing is, if it's not too bad at all, you learn from that, and if it is disappointing it demonstrates to you what eating and drinking a bit more did for you, at that time.

This is a long game, so please don't become obsessed with a couple of weeks. We will all have times we're very happy with out results and others when we might think,......... "Ouch".

Reactions: sweetierufus

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi there, what consequences? Do you mean the perceived 'displeasure' of your Doctor or medical staff? I doubt very much whether they care that much. The only person who should care is yourself and you already know why (if indeed it actually does) go up. I never quite understand why a person would try to manipulate such a test by holding it off for another few weeks or whatever, have your test, see the results and if you are unhappy then try to improve it, if anything it reminds you that what you eat impacts your results. Even if you do wait a few weeks and it shows a result you are happy with, how does that change what you ate for your three weeks on holiday? Don't beat yourself up or try to 'justify' it because of a holiday, in my view that will only make you feel guilty. The main thing is that YOU know what your challenges are and are clearly still fighting the good fight. That is what matters too. x

Bluecarnation

I’m glad you enjoyed your holidays!
Hba1c is an average of 3 months so it’s not just the last few weeks , each day is a new day so don’t beat yourself up. Snack on nuts, try low carb high fat, it’s quite satisfying, not too much fat if you need to lose weight.
I’ve had a second test yesterday after my Hba1c went from 41 last year to 50 after metformin was reduced! Back on 500 twice a day!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

@sweetierufus try not to worry - when I saw my GP in December last year he took some blood and then announced that he would also test my hba1c as it hadn’t been done for a while. I was a little apprehensive to see the results because 4 weeks before I had come back from an 11 day cruise and it was just after Christmas as well - both periods when I ate more carbs than usual however my Hba1c was 36 - 1 point lower than my previous test. Have your test you may be pleasantly surprised and if it’s higher than usual put it down to experience.

mouseee

If you have made positive changes then it will probably show a decrease even if it's smaller than you hoped.

A decrease is decrease which will give you more motivation.

Don't avoid it as you may be pleasantly surprised.

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had similar worries last time I had an HBA1C test due, but decided to go ahead anyway. The result was 1 figure lower than on my previous test - which, overall, felt like not much of a result for having been so vigilant most of the time! However, on reflection, I decided it was good it had reduced a little, rather than going up!

I also really worried that I’d put on weight after a recent holiday, because the hotel made the most amazing chocolate desserts and I couldn’t resist trying some of them every night! But, despite a 10 night holiday, when I weighed myself on return I’d gained no weight at all! All that worry for nothing :)

Good luck with your result.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good News! It has reduced to 49 mmol/mol from 88! Very happy with this . :happy:

This has cheered me up after yesterdays rubbish work day.

BRILLIANT..
and after all that worry too..;)
what are we like, hey.:rolleyes:

I too stepped oFf the pedal on holidays,
why go and not enjoy..?
i tested the foreign foods just to re-assure myself, but not obsessively
and i also over indulged in the essential lubricants of fun, dancing & laughter
to whit beers, vodkas etc

My scores too, were good.:)

i just see it as 52 weeks a year i eat well, if that drops to 51/50 etc
as long as the majority of the year i eat LCHF then i'm doing much better then i would have done without this way of eating.

we should concern ourselves with what we eat etc, but if that takes all the joy out of life, ....:sorry:

Live long, eat well (most days ) and prosper,
to paraphrase Dr Spock.:D

Last edited:

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Good News! It has reduced to 49 mmol/mol from 88! Very happy with this . :happy:

This has cheered me up after yesterdays rubbish work day.

Great result!!

We are all pretty pleased for you, I hope your doc is too. That's some drop, keep it up. I bet it was a tremendous relief to see that 49 pop up.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is great news- hopefully the boost you needed to get back to eating the way you need to.

Congratulations.