Easy & Fast low carb meals you can cook once and store in a fridge for 1 week?

kaup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ey,

What are easy & Fast low carb meals you can cook once and store in a fridge for 1 week?

As a single person, I rather cook up a meal which I can store in lunchboxes for a week than buy daily. Any tips?

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
One of the meals I cook is a base of mince, chopped onion, garlic and tomatoes then I mix half with basil and mushrooms and the other half with chilli and chopped peppers.
500g minced turkey plus 200-250g minced pork (or any mix of beef, pork and turkey)
2 medium onions
1 tin tomatoes
3-4 cloves of garlic
black pepper

Fry the meat, remove from pan and lightly fry the onions in the meat fat, add the garlic for about 30s.
Stir in the mince and tomatoes with a little water and some black pepper and simmer for 20 mins.
Divide the meat into two bowls.
Fry some sliced mushrooms, stir into one bowl with some basil or oregano
Fry the sliced or chopped green (bell) pepper, add some chilli powder and fry for a few seconds, stir into the second bowl.

Optional extras - celery in either, a few kidney beans in the chilli.

I eat the spaghetti style mince heated and spooned over green beans with a little cheese, and the chilli with cauliflower rice, I make up a few days of cauli rice and store in the fridge or freeze portions. Just grate, stir in a little oil and bake at 180C for about 14 mins. Reheat in the microwave or fry.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Frittata? Make a large one, or several smaller portions in a tray. Great for lunch. Lots of variety possible too - if you use a tray or cup cake cases you can use the same base mix and then add different toppings so that there’s a bit of variety from day to day.

Or just make a bit more dinner than you need each day and have the leftovers for lunch - assuming you have access to a microwave at lunchtime.

Or tuna melts - https://butterisnotacarb.com/mini-tuna-melts/

Fathead pizza freezes or keeps in the fridge too.

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Restaurant-style of meal prep:

"Generic" Raw Meats
I thinly slice a big batch of boneless chicken breast or pork sirloin chops, marinate in mixture of lots of lemon juice, salt and garlic powder (optional). I make the marinade very simple so it can be versatile in any dish. Wash hands before mixing. Stir it well by hand to distribute evenly. Cover. Label the date it was made.
Place in the coolest part of your fridge.

Proper food handling will keep it safe to eat for a week.

These will be good for quick-frying, or to add in sauté's or stir fry.

I cook a good portion of it (pan-frying) with sliced onions, and eat it with sour cream, and a dish of leafy salads. Left-over from this cooked portion can be divided into your lunch boxes, also stays about a week in the fridge (if handled properly).

You can also prep ahead food items that you use regularly in cooking (like washing and slicing onions, tomatoes, celery etc.,). You have them available for straight cooking!

Celery sticks make a good low-carb addition to a meal. I love it with home-made spinach dip made with chopped up frozen spinach (thawed and squeezed dry), softened cream cheese, sour cream and onion soup powder. This can also last for a week in the fridge.
I wash and prep it right away, cutting in desired lengths, and store them in a freezer bag in the fridge.

I use a heavy-duty freezer bag with double lock (I find it more sturdy for multiple use).
This freezer bag can be re-used. Label it and just wash it. I don't even dry it - stick it in the freezer and let the droplets of water freeze. I just shake those droplets of frozen water out when I'm ready to re-use it.
Use it only for vegetables - don't cross-contaminate with meats, or anything with oil!

Last edited:
Reactions: ianf0ster

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bento lunch box-style of meal prepping is excellent too! The trick is to plan ahead and get everything ready.

Some things I can think of to put in the bento box:

Deviled or hard-boiled egg
Left-over meat slices from roasts
nuts and seeds
crudites (celery, raddish, broccoli, asparagus....)
Strawberries
salmon salad or chicken salad, etc..,
Avocado slices (rubbed with lemon so they will retain their color)

Just to give you an idea what I'm on about....

https://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/easy-keto-bento-box-lunch-ideas

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For a week in a fridge?
As a food technologist, I don't think I'd want to do that myself - so many meals are so quick and easy it seems unnecessary to go to such lengths to avoid a few minutes daily to have fresh cooked foods.
I do have cooking devices with temperature controls and timers, so I just set them off and wait for the signal they are done - they are very handy.

Reactions: streem26

streem26

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I love making chicken salad/egg salad/ or tuna salad ( all 3 are super easy with a little prep the night before.
Last week I hard boiled a dozen eggs at once and split them into ziploc tupperware containers and then the morning of work just mixed it up with mayo and mustard, took a little bit of shredded cheese on top and then filled the rest with fresh spinach (one day I even added some crumbled bacon).
If I don't want to do eggs, I'll shred 5-6 chicken breasts in the crock pot on Sunday and portion that out per meal with mayo, spices, and some romaine lettuce.
Or checkout keto 6 day meal plan for a good example.

Last edited: