What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Only got back from work a couple of hours ago, so didn't have very much time to eat.

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. A small skirt steak. About 100g of cauli rice with chicken broth, onion and eggplant. Fried mushrooms with onion, creme fraiche and chives.

Snack at work: Two babybel cheeses and one square of 95 percent chocolate.

Late meal at home: A package of chicken cracklings. A small piece of Rambol walnut cheese (about 30g). About 60g of chicken liver pate and 50g of Northsea shrimp. A glass and a half of red wine.

Altogether around 13g of carbs.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did a new deal on selling this house and buying one needing some work. I'll know in 6 months to a year if I took the right path. Grandson approves - 30 seconds in the car from his house - he was with his dad when they drove past to take a look. Talk on the road not taken played while I was on the exercise bike - so apt. Hope you folk had good days.

@ianpspurs -- Great that you are moving closer to your family. Hope renovation will procede without a hitch and you will feel at home soon.

Reactions: maglil55

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And breathe. I've finally caught up. Welcome back @shelley262 Glad you had a wonderful break. @ziggy_w, I used to do a dish with soft boiled quail eggs that involved a rocket and pea shoot salad, mini tomatoes, pigeon breast and the soft boiled quail eggs with a lemon and agave dressing. As you say they really are awful to peel. I'd plunge them into icy water but eventually I'd delegate the peeling to Hubby.
Today has been a kind of good day. I have heat and hot water again! New boiler is installed and has an IQ system which speaks to British Gas so in theory they should know before we do if anything goes wrong. It is very, very quiet.
Not so good the left headlight on my car is going on and off and the dealership says they can't fix it. So back to Motability. I guess my next car won't be a Ford.
B. TAG with ADOC and one of these M&S mini muffins. Gas installer was there early so that was it.
L. Nothing
D. Last 4 thin cut lamb chops with mint and the remains of the halloumi wrapped in Parma ham all air fried. Small pot of strawberries with cream and 2 bits G&B mint.
Glad the boiler is now fixed and heating plus hot water restored. Loving the sound of the pigeon breast combo. I'm sure I could prevail upon the good offices of the food fairy to create something similar. I'm in credit with her for swallowing my opposition to holidays (basically I like the gym and spa at this hotel) and agreeing to trot off to Pathos in November. Should be pigeons locally then as well.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All!

Yesterday was
B: Mattersons sausage scramble with chilli, garlic and herbs - that kept me full until
D: Chicken shashlik and saag aloo. Actually ordered saag paneer, but they brought aloo, and it was delicious. Ate the potato AND 2 poppadoms, and felt somewhat uneasy at the carbs. Then I came home and looked up carb contents - 3.5g/pop (I had 2) and 20g in 100g of new potatoes (I had way less than that!). So that made me feel much better. haha! Oh, and it was all delicious!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad the boiler is now fixed and heating plus hot water restored. Loving the sound of the pigeon breast combo. I'm sure I could prevail upon the good offices of the food fairy to create something similar. I'm in credit with her for swallowing my opposition to holidays (basically I like the gym and spa at this hotel) and agreeing to trot off to Pathos in November. Should be pigeons locally then as well.
It's a very tasty dish. The dressing was a mix of olive oil, lemon juice and originally honey with seasoning to taste. Combination was half the amount of lemon juice to olive oil. Not a lot of honey but I used agave nectar which is a lower GI. Dead easy - I have a shaker from Lakeland for dressings - bung everything in and shake! Only downside is peeling these flaming mini eggs.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Tea until about 11.30 then hot chocolate/cocoa (almond milk, cream, Lidl or Aldi coca powder); mackerel and avocado salad for lunch (bg dropped .8 at 2 hrs - quite unusual). Evening was celagne (slivers of celeriac - 3 layers, with ragu, no cheese sauce faff just slices of mozzarella and grated mozzarella on top). Liked the food and overall the day was very much The Road Not taken day. Did a new deal on selling this house and buying one needing some work. I'll know in 6 months to a year if I took the right path. Grandson approves - 30 seconds in the car from his house - he was with his dad when they drove past to take a look. Talk on the road not taken played while I was on the exercise bike - so apt. Hope you folk had good days.
Good luck in your new adventure

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Got up at 7.30am and had 2 boiled eggs 1/2 avocado and streaky bacon for breakfast washed down with black coffee and water.

Quickly had a shower and dressed then drive to the station to catch train to Sydney. An hour in the trip notice some one spelt water on the train foor I was so annoyed as my backpack got wet and had my notebook in there. Luckily my notebook didn't get wet so the rest of my journey I had the backpack sitting up sort of on my lap so I don't get wet.

Got to Sydney and waited for my friend to show up. We went to try Spanish restaurant but I can't eat onions or shallots and the waiter could not help with the order so we left my friend suggested a greek restaurant. So we ordered slavolki chicken and lamb came with tzatziki greek salad and pitta bread and a gin and tonic. then had a coffee and that came with Turkish delight yep I ate one. The food was nice but I've had better. Went for a walk after and walked around Sydney but I was exhausted.

Said our farewells and home bound 2 hours got home and was hungry again had left over tandoori chicken wings and beans and broccoli for dinner. I'm now dosing of in front of the TV as I need to get up early again tomorrow. Good night all.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today as follows:
Breakfast: slice LivLife toast, butter, tea x3 (early start!)
Lunch: Slice LL toast with egg mayo on top. Water.
Supper: tenderstem broccoli with large spoon chilli on top.
Maybe a G&ST if I feel so inclined. Possibly also 6 walnut halves.;)

Off to hospital crack of dawn tomo to start next course of eye injections so a day of gritty eye and sofa listening to radio.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lovely to see you back @shelley262 I missed posting yesterday and there are a few pages to look back on already, I don’t think I’d contemplate 4 weeks worth!
Good news about the house move @ianpspurs and about the boiler @maglil55 . I’ve finally got round to sending your chicken crackling btw.
Got back from our spa break a short while ago and feeling very rested. Lovely to see little Den looking much perkier that when I left, although one of his meds has given him diarrhoea which is not a good look on a cream carpet.

Yesterday’s food was scrambled egg and 1/2 avocado at home for breakfast.
Lunch at the hotel a very nice antipasto plate
Dinner was stunning. Olives with a G&S in the bar first.
Appetiser of smoked salmon on a wasabi crispy thing. Glass of champagne.
Amuse bouche of onion veloute with a cheese croquet ( breadcrumb coating but it was tiny so I threw caution to the wind)
Starter of a huge Orkney scallop and I can’t remember what all the fancy bits and bobs around it were but they all tasted wonderful.
Main was turbot (cooked in sous vide) on celeriac with another scallop and champagne sauce.
Shared a cheeseboard for pud. Each cheese came with its own little square of matched jelly ( quince, fig etc) which I didn’t have. Also matched bread and crackers also sadly left on the plate. Each course with a glass of wine chosen to compliment it.
We were highly amused by the pretentious chap on the next table talking loudly to the waiter about the turbot which he pronounced turbOH

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
16-10-19
Breakfast: one slice pain kapnor and peanut butter. Tea
Lunch. 2 slices of pain kapnor with pâté
Tea. Or was.it coffee
Few, or lot of walnuts, depending on perspective.
Tea
Wine
MrSlim opened bottle.of Cremamt de Loire
Dinner fish on breadcrumbs. Beans. Peas. Few potato rösti. More Cremant.

I can relate to the ‘few or a lot depending on perspective’ it made me laugh. I kid myself a handful of nuts is a few but actually I can grab a surprisingly large quantity.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can relate to the ‘few or a lot depending on perspective’ it made me laugh. I kid myself a handful of nuts is a few but actually I can grab a surprisingly large quantity.
I am helpless with nuts. I buy 150g walnut halves each major shop and now have to count out 6 as a portion. If I am on my second gin I sometimes have another 6 ;)
Your dinner sounded right up my street, love TurbOT and scallops! Not a big fan of smoked salmon its the texture thing for me a bit like it is with avocado but do have both occasionally

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Only lasted out until 1 pm today before eating. Neil had taken me shopping (rather than wait until tomorrow and the weekend rush) although I don't get my pension until tomorrow, so I couldn't buy much. Anyway, by the time we got home, I was starving and made myself 2 slices of black pudding, 2 pork sausages (the best I can get here are only 75% meat, unfortunately) and 2 fried eggs. Sadly, I'm still hungry but I will try to last out until tomorrow just on tea. Carbs and calories must both be higher than usual in that meal. Ah well...just too bad, I've eaten it now.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs just read about your chemo and wanted to say that I’m sorry you are having to go through this - sounds difficult and uncomfortable. Good though to hear about your upcoming holiday and house move but would imagine both the negative and positive stresses will be having an impact on your bgs - take it steady and take care.
Lunch cheese omelette
Mid afternoon two squares of absolut black with cup of tea
Dinner pork chop with buttered red cabbage and glass dry white. Having a sf jelly with yoghurt and cream in a few mins.
Another complex day tomorrow as youngest son has fallen off a climbing wall and torn multiple ligaments so going to help with cooper dog etc, then eldest son visit plus a long planned meal at ours with friends. I’ve tried to do as much prep as possible today!
@DJC3 think I need the name of your spa! Sounds like a wonderful experience shame about Dennis’s post op stuff but good he’s getting more back to his normal self. You’ll need good carpet shampoo.....

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Usual tea for breakfast. Earlier than usual hot chocolate/cocoa mid morning. Lunch was some of yesterday's celagne and reduced carb tommy k - 1 rise today as opposed to 0 yesterday. Evening meal soon to be mushroom and cheese omelette. Nothing wrong with food or rises after eating starting point higher than most days so post meal out of kilter. @shelley262 thanks for your concern and hugs for your stresses. Chemo seems nothing like other types, move is acknowledgement of my mortality and all about getting Julie close to the boys. Holiday is for Julie really I almost dislike them - certainly 50/50 on benefit versus harmful overall.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: Babybels with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt, blueberries and LC Chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon at Nero’s: coconut cappuccino with a raspberry PhD bar.
Dinner: chilli, ginger and lime chicken with Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, coconut chia pudding and coconut and macadamia keto granola.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am helpless with nuts. I buy 150g walnut halves each major shop and now have to count out 6 as a portion. If I am on my second gin I sometimes have another 6 ;)
Your dinner sounded right up my street, love TurbOT and scallops! Not a big fan of smoked salmon its the texture thing for me a bit like it is with avocado but do have both occasionally

That’s a good idea, I tend to buy walnut pieces as they are cheaper but as they aren’t a standard size I wouldn’t be able to count out a number to make a portion. I think I’ll switch to halves and do the same as you. That second gin has a lot to answer for doesn’t it!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs just read about your chemo and wanted to say that I’m sorry you are having to go through this - sounds difficult and uncomfortable. Good though to hear about your upcoming holiday and house move but would imagine both the negative and positive stresses will be having an impact on your bgs - take it steady and take care.
Lunch cheese omelette
Mid afternoon two squares of absolut black with cup of tea
Dinner pork chop with buttered red cabbage and glass dry white. Having a sf jelly with yoghurt and cream in a few mins.
Another complex day tomorrow as youngest son has fallen off a climbing wall and torn multiple ligaments so going to help with cooper dog etc, then eldest son visit plus a long planned meal at ours with friends. I’ve tried to do as much prep as possible today!
@DJC3 think I need the name of your spa! Sounds like a wonderful experience shame about Dennis’s post op stuff but good he’s getting more back to his normal self. You’ll need good carpet shampoo.....

I did actually think of you when I was there, and how it would really help destressing. The hot stone massage was unbelievable.
So sorry to hear about your son’s fall, but hopefully Cooper will cheer everyone up.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today’s food-
Breakfast was poached egg, bacon mushrooms and about 1/4 tomato.
Lunch chicken Caesar salad in the spa
Dinner back at home a chicken Cordon Bleu portion left in the fridge from before I went away. There were a few large pizza boxes on the kitchen counter when I got in, which explains why none of the food Id left for them had got eaten!
We’ve got the granddaughters here tomorrow - they have an inset day - so an early start for us all and an early night for me so I’ve got enough energy.

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Snags and salad.
Dinner: All the daggy bits of meat from out of one of the freezers fried up, cauliflower and broccoli, pan juice gravy.
Breakfast: Usual c&m omelette, bacon, tomatoes.

Drinks: Black coffee / tea, no sugary stuff, water.

Got a earlier delivery window for our online grocery shopping again, the drive must be on a promise...