Advice Needed

Rkp92

Hi all.

I was diagnosed with Type 1 earlier this year. In a recent visit to the doctors, I have been advised to speak to my employer about flexible working options due to certain complications. Occupational Health have advised that I trial a work from home scheme once a week and if it helps manage my condition better then to make this permanent. My manager is not being very supportive with this and always poses excuses as to why they can't adhere to my working adjustment requests - i.e. there is nobody to answer calls or that the role is office based only (I work for a large government organisation and my sub team has around 10 other individuals with access to the same resources as me). It has come to my attention that other colleagues have had their requests approved when mine was rejected. My manager has now gone back to occupational health to ask if theres any other suggestions apart from wfh. I am often left alone in the office and sometimes don't get to take a lunch break. This often gets bypassed when I bring it up despite my many attempts to avoid it happening. It feels like my diabetes is not fully understood here and it can get really fustrating. My job is very measureable and can be done remotely.. I just wanted to see if anyone has been in a simular position and possibly provide some advice around this? Thank you.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi all.

I was diagnosed with Type 1 earlier this year. In a recent visit to the doctors, I have been advised to speak to my employer about flexible working options due to certain complications. Occupational Health have advised that I trial a work from home scheme once a week and if it helps manage my condition better then to make this permanent. My manager is not being very supportive with this and always poses excuses as to why they can't adhere to my working adjustment requests - i.e. there is nobody to answer calls or that the role is office based only (I work for a large government organisation and my sub team has around 10 other individuals with access to the same resources as me). It has come to my attention that other colleagues have had their requests approved when mine was rejected. My manager has now gone back to occupational health to ask if theres any other suggestions apart from wfh. I am often left alone in the office and sometimes don't get to take a lunch break. This often gets bypassed when I bring it up despite my many attempts to avoid it happening. It feels like my diabetes is not fully understood here and it can get really fustrating. My job is very measureable and can be done remotely.. I just wanted to see if anyone has been in a simular position and possibly provide some advice around this? Thank you.
Hi @Rkp92 and welcome to the forum. Is your doctor saying you have complications or are they talking about possible complications? I am wondering why flexible working options have been advised. I started work in 1982 and was Type 1 from 1959 - 2013 (pancreas/kidney transplant). I still don't have flexi hours!

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Speak to your doctor, ask for occupational health to show you your report and how they arrived at their decision. No one should make decisions over your head about your health. It’s your condition and you are trusted (with support) to be able to manage 365 days of the year. I’d also speak to your union and keep a record of everything whether it’s letters, e mails, conversations or just observations. You should not be missing lunch breaks, the company are compelled by law to make ‘reasonable adjustments’ to accommodate you or could be held up for violating several health/working acts. Sorry if that sounds a bit abrupt but take control and you’ll feel better. I’m speaking from experience and had to involve the union. Employers don’t have to know about diabetes ( I know it’s dead frustrating ) but they do have a duty of care to keep you safe. Ask what the ‘certain complications’ are? Then have a list of suitable replies handy as to why they’re not complications, they just need some imaginative thinking! I’ve worked in large government places, there’s not a lot of flexible thinking! Be brave and let me know how you get on. Shout ‘disability discrimination’ worked for me! X