Antibiotics, gut flora and blood sugar

Sapien

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My fasting blood sugar started to rise about a week before I was diagnosed with a bacterial infection. I hadn't changed anything with diet or exercise so I didn't understand why my fasting readings were rising. Then I woke up in the night with fever and chills and that morning my blood sugar was way higher than typical and that day my post-meal blood sugar was also very elevated. I went to the doctor and sure enough tests confirmed a bacterial infection. I was put on an antibiotic (levofloxacin) and after a day my fasting blood sugar started to come down some. The course of antibiotics is for four weeks. My blood sugars have been behaving atypically with fasting blood sugars erratic but mostly higher then normal, but most after meal reading have been surprisingly lower than I would have expected.

What experience have you had after the taking antibiotics? Do blood sugars quickly return to normal? Is it helpful to take pro-biotic and pre-biotic supplements to restore a healthy gut flora?

Reactions: SueO246

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I experience the same. My theory is that my body and immune system recognizes i will need extra glucose to fight the infection and goes into overdrive. I hope you will be well soon.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
My fasting blood sugar started to rise about a week before I was diagnosed with a bacterial infection. I hadn't changed anything with diet or exercise so I didn't understand why my fasting readings were rising. Then I woke up in the night with fever and chills and that morning my blood sugar was way higher than typical and that day my post-meal blood sugar was also very elevated. I went to the doctor and sure enough tests confirmed a bacterial infection. I was put on an antibiotic (levofloxacin) and after a day my fasting blood sugar started to come down some. The course of antibiotics is for four weeks. My blood sugars have been behaving atypically with fasting blood sugars erratic but mostly higher then normal, but most after meal reading have been surprisingly lower than I would have expected.

What experience have you had after the taking antibiotics? Do blood sugars quickly return to normal? Is it helpful to take pro-biotic and pre-biotic supplements to restore a healthy gut flora?

I was prescribed Macrobid and I fell into a coma for the 7 regimen days. Previously-a year or two- I was given very mild antibiotics by a smart nurse. I wrote to the Drugs.com and with others made a complaint. You might take a look.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
In my experience of a bacteria in the gut called heliocobacter pylori, my body changed the way I digested food.
I have read about the gut brain trigger, (not universally accepted!) The hormone response to food is critical in deciding how much of each hormone response will be needed for the glucose derived. Cortisol is important in the insulin response and of course glucagon, glycogen and how the alpha and beta cells react to that response.

The bacterial balance in your gut is so important to your health. Having a good gut bacteria will improve your health. Having an imbalance in your hormonal response because of bad gut bacteria will increasingly make you ill.

It can be a prelude to most endocrine system conditions including some types of diabetes and metabolic syndrome and disorders.

The medical profession is just as confused about gut biotic as it is about T2 diabetes and how to treat it!