I've stopped keto because of stomach problems

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I have had to stop the keto diet because i was getting pain in mt stomach and feeling nauseous all the time because of the high fat content. I have always been iffy with double cream and for a while i did tolerate the diet, but I noticed since May this year I was feeling nauseous all the time and it ruined my summer as even days out were spoiled by me feeling nauseous .

So a few weeks back I was really ill I had a very heavy cold virus and then I got a stomach bug and was horrendously ill to the point that I collapsed in the bathroom .

I decided the next day that I would drop the keto diet and start on medium carbs and cut out a lot of the fat , I've been doing this for a week now and I have lost 8lbs in weight and the nausea has completely gone , I can honestly say i feel very well once again . I am also seeing the lowest numbers ever upon waking , the numbers were dropping once I came off keto and yesterday and this morning i woke to 5.5 i was really shocked as I have never been that low in the morning .

I am not slating keto because it did bring my Hba1c down from 105 to 59 in just 11 weeks, but i just don't feel well on the diet , so this is what i've done and it seems to be working . I must say i am very surprised by the low blood numbers , but of course I am very happy too :) .

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had to stop the keto diet because i was getting pain in mt stomach and feeling nauseous all the time because of the high fat content. I have always been iffy with double cream and for a while i did tolerate the diet, but I noticed since May this year I was feeling nauseous all the time and it ruined my summer as even days out were spoiled by me feeling nauseous .

So a few weeks back I was really ill I had a very heavy cold virus and then I got a stomach bug and was horrendously ill to the point that I collapsed in the bathroom .

I decided the next day that I would drop the keto diet and start on medium carbs and cut out a lot of the fat , I've been doing this for a week now and I have lost 8lbs in weight and the nausea has completely gone , I can honestly say i feel very well once again . I am also seeing the lowest numbers ever upon waking , the numbers were dropping once I came off keto and yesterday and this morning i woke to 5.5 i was really shocked as I have never been that low in the morning .

I am not slating keto because it did bring my Hba1c down from 105 to 59 in just 11 weeks, but i just don't feel well on the diet , so this is what i've done and it seems to be working . I must say i am very surprised by the low blood numbers , but of course I am very happy too :) .
The fat's mainly there to help you feel full, don't eat it if you can't stomach it! (Besides giving you nutrients, but hey, you can get those from protein too! And if push comes to shove, there's always supplements.). If fats are not working out for you, then a change really is the way to go. We're all different, and what works for one person doesn't work for another. I'm very happy for you that you're feeling better, because you've certainly been through quite the wringer!

Reactions: lessci
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

You have now found something that works better for you, so I hope you continue to feel better, take care.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s great you’ve found something that works for you. I hope it continues to work well.

Some people do find the high fat part of keto is more than they need and moderate is just fine for them. Most advocates do say only eat enough fat to feel satiety and have energy (as opposed to a fixed macro goal no matter how you feel).

You obviously didn’t need/want/appreciate the amounts you were eating. Sadly there are a few groups that insist on eating fat fat fat and that keto doesn’t work if you don’t eat loads. As you’ve discovered that approach doesn’t work well for some either in terms of wellbeing or weight loss.

Perhaps if the numbers don’t stay where you want them drop the carbs a little without raising the fat so much next time.

M

Member496333

Glad you’ve found something that works better for you. Although it does seem a little like your diet wasn’t quite right for you, rather than it necessarily being ketogenic. If you’ve lost weight since restarting carbohydrate then you were almost certainly putting away far too much fat!

But anyway onwards and upwards. Whatever works :smug:

Reactions: WackyJacky64

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Thanks guys, I have my diabetic check up November 22 blood test etc, so I will report back .
Just feeling so much better , feeling nauseous all the time isn't pleasant so I am glad I have changed my diet . I am even able to walk on an evening again without feeling ill .
As Jim Lahey says Onwards and Upwards :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So glad you’ve found a solution to your nausea and managed to maintain or even improve your blood sugars. I wonder if the feeling unwell and stressed made your numbers higher than they might have been on keto. I’ve never gone super low on carbs and only eaten enough fat to feel full, not everyone has to go keto for non diabetic HbA1cs. Good luck for next months bloods and let us know how you get on.

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
So glad you’ve found a solution to your nausea and managed to maintain or even improve your blood sugars. I wonder if the feeling unwell and stressed made your numbers higher than they might have been on keto. I’ve never gone super low on carbs and only eaten enough fat to feel full, not everyone has to go keto for non diabetic HbA1cs. Good luck for next months bloods and let us know how you get on.

Thanks, I did have a problem with to much fat before I was diagnosed type 2 , but i gave it a go and its been 11 months so i did try and feeling well is a must to achieve any kind of diet . I've had low numbers all day and have been testing before and after meals not been above 7 , I'm happy with this so far .

Robin233

BANNED
The ketogenic diet is perhaps one of the options for diabetes to control blood sugar, but it is definitely not suitable for most people. If you have taken diabetes medication or insulin therapy, don't use this method. Once you have severe hypoglycemia, it can be life-threatening.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just how much fat were you eating? If it was enough to stop weightloss you might have been simply eating too much fat.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
We are all different- the important thing is that what you are doing is working. I don't think it is every a bad idea to review what you are doing and make changes if it is needed. Congratulations on finding something that works for you Let us kn ow how it goes- you might be just the person someone needs to hear in a years time.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The ketogenic diet is perhaps one of the options for diabetes to control blood sugar, but it is definitely not suitable for most people. If you have taken diabetes medication or insulin therapy, don't use this method. Once you have severe hypoglycemia, it can be life-threatening.

@Robin233 I’d be interested to see the evidence on which you base this opinion. The ketogenic diet is being used very successfully by many on this forum, including some members using insulin or other diabetes related medication.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@WackyJacky64,

So happy for you that you found a way of eating that works for your tummy and your blood sugars. Congrats on your wonderful results. (Also like that you keep on monitoring your blood sugars.)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Have you had a look at the VirtaHealth results, @Robin233? The outcome of the study suggests that low carb/keto is a powerful method to get blood sugars back to normal, even after an average of 8.4 years of diabetes and on multiple medications including insulin.

I agree with @Goonergal, lots of T2s on this site have embarked on this woe and have been able to get blood sugars back to below prediabetic levels while getting off all medication. So, while it may not work for all, it works for a considerable number of us.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
...Which is why people are always told here not to mix keto with certain medications and insulin if they're not assisted/supported by their team and have no glucose meter. And to have hypo treatment on hand.

...Keto's working fine for me, but then, I haven't been on metformin and gliclazide for 3 years. (Because of the low carb way of eating....)

Reactions: Chris26111980

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Well for the past 3 mornings ,my blood sugar has been 5.8 . I am in no way slating the keto diet because it got my numbers down from 105 to 58 in 11 weeks, when I first started i was careful with the amount of fat I ate because of my sensitive stomach to too much fat , my son and my mum have the same condition .

I have been doing it for 11 months and I am due to have my diabetic blood test next month.

We are all different and I know people use keto on here and it is very successful so wouldn't slate it at all.

Like I said further up I have lost 8lbs since coming off keto and eat moderate carbs and have cut lots of fat out even my osteoarthritis has got better .

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
not suitable for most people.
Interesting response.. the ketogenic diet is the way that mankind ate for millennia before highly processed foods came along and ruined our health. What justification do you have for your statement?

M

Member496333

@WackyJacky64 just be sure to continue periodic glucose testing. The effects of carbohydrate are cumulative. What's good today may be slightly less good next week. This is how we all become diabetic in the first place. If it can happen once it can happen again :nurse:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Why is it not suitable for most people?

If you are on medication you do need to have it assessed, monitored and reviewed to ensure the medication is adjusted to prevent hypos, as you will require less medication as you eat fewer carbs. Kind of the point of doing it really. Sometimes this will mean reducing the meds on the start of the diet, other times it will be close monitoring and adjusting as you go whilst be prepared for hypo prevention.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
and have cut lots of fat
Probably this is why weight loss has restarted, rather than the additional carbs. It does sound like you were previously having more fat than you needed.

Feeling well will help bgl, as opposed to feeling ill and stressed. Possibly you also were reducing carbs more than was essential for you, which is why the increase hasn’t hurt your numbers.

still all told you’ve found your balance for now and that’s great. It’s all a bit of experimenting isn’t it to find individual solutions?