Unavoidable Stress . lots of lows

Simply

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Stressful family situation , unavoidable , having a terrific amount of lows , what damage could this be doing . Twenty years type 2 on tresiba

Simply

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you simply over medicated?
Managed quite well when changed to Tresiba 8 months ago . Husband recently diagnosed with advanced cancer ,( also family problems) and had a terrific amount of lows in last three months. all times of day and night. Starting to really worry me in case lows are causing damage . Have tried adjusting insulin down and works fine for a few days , then lows begin again .

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello are you on any fast acting insulin? Tresiba is a basal insulin, it’s not used for/ with food, it is just simply an one injection flat line basal profile type of insulin. Obviously if it is too much, it can drag on hypos. A change in dose with tresiba takes around 4 days to adjust. So if you decide to adjust it again, give it 4 days before another change. A basal test where you fast after dinner, do one test at midnight and do one test at 3am will help you determine if it is the correct amount. If you hypo, stop, treat it and do it again another time. Have you also been getting any help for your stressful family situation? Have you been in contact with your doctor or nurse to help you minimise hypos?

Reactions: ziggy_w

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you discussed this with your prescriber?
Have you been tested to check how much insulin you are making yourself?

Reactions: Simply

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

I'm sorry you are having such a stressful time. Stress plays havoc with our bodies including our blood sugar levels. I suggest you see your doctor. You need to take care of yourself or you will not be able to take care of others- easy advice to give I know and hard to follow.

Apart from seeing your doctor- do you do anything just for yourself. I know that can be really hard but it doesn't have to be big, time consuming or expensive. One of my real luxuries is a lovely hot shower- I live rurally in Australia so water is a big deal but I can't have carbs anymore so am using an additional one a week shower as a treat- no one talks to me in the shower so that is also a bonus. My point is that you need something just for you.

Hugs while you are undergoing all this stress.

Reactions: Simply and ziggy_w