Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I think I need a gold star!
Had to go into Tesco to get more celeriac and arrow root! Sweets sweets sweets

Very nearly gave in thinking blow it just get it over with, eat them now then start again.

But I managed not to. In slightly bad mood now but hey. No sweets.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I need a gold star!
Had to go into Tesco to get more celeriac and arrow root! Sweets sweets sweets

Very nearly gave in thinking blow it just get it over with, eat them now then start again.

But I managed not to. In slightly bad mood now but hey. No sweets.

Hi,

Thus also saving a couple of quid?
You could put the monetary value of any "craving" resisted into a pot?
You may find the cash saved over a longer period of time could fund something you realy want like an item of clothing, something regarding a hobbie, or a book?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Hi,

Thus also saving a couple of quid?
You could put the monetary value of any "craving" resisted into a pot?
You may find the cash saved over a longer period of time could fund something you realy want like an item of clothing, something regarding a hobbie, or a book?
That is a really good idea!

Although showing just where my brain is my first thought was oooh I could buy a cake!!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is a really good idea!

Although showing just where my brain is my first thought was oooh I could buy a cake!!

Thanks, I don't get many of them.
Think of it like the classic "swear box?" :)

Lol, did make me chuckle.. Now you take that price of cake & throw it in the positive jar. :D;)

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Thanks, I don't get many of them.
Think of it like the classic "swear box?" :)

Lol, did make me chuckle.. Now you take that price of cake & throw it in the positive jar. :D;)

I think I need to throw myself in the hat or somewhere!

Since I resisted yesterday I have been in the foulest mood!

Do other people find that?
Maybe my brain is so determined it will make me somehow give in!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Now mine are so much better than they used to be. I eat so much less good in general since going Uber low carb.

But in the last few days my cravings are back.
Yesterday took all my strength not to buy a cake when I bought a tea from pret. And I mean huge strength. My brain was telling me that just one won’t hurt. I didn’t.
But then last night I wasn’t hungry but I just wanted to eat. I ended up with one of my safe hot chocolates. But this needing to eat and eat cakes is back. And I don’t like it.
Will there ever be a time when I never ever experience cravings again? Or will they always raise their ugly heads once in a while as if to test you?
The generous liver for you.
It dumps glucose which can act like carb snack. Next time block its dump with a fatty protein.
Prevention is even better.
Some need a protein snack in such regular occurances.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Since I resisted yesterday I have been in the foulest mood!

Do other people find that?

Maybe my brain is so determined it will make me somehow give in!
I don’t.

I did post about my trip to the doughnut shop at the weekend but it was removed. What I was saying in the post is that it doesn’t affect me unduly if I resist the temptation to say no to something like that.

I do agree with an earlier post that the more you do resist temptation the easier it gets.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I only get cravings now and then.
I note that when I am hungry (and/or stressed) I crave carbohydrates not protein and fat so that may be something which doesn't go away.
Eating something sensible usually cancels the cravings.

Good sourdough bread is one of my great weaknesses. Very much of the "well, one slice won't hurt" territory.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So apparently I’ve now lost all my appetite. I ate breakfast at 9 which is late for me but by 4.30 I realised I hadn’t eaten and sugars were fine at 6.7 ish.
Started to feel hungry but was teaching so didn’t bother. Then ate my half mattessons sausage and 2 low carb sausages and it all shot up to 9.something.

So apparently cravings have gone but I’m it’s place is the mood swings. Crazy mood swings. Been bursting into tears all day and thinking everyone hates me so then I cry again text them feel like an idiot and rinse and repeat.

Not sure what’s worse, the mood swings or the cravings. At least cravings I don’t affect anyone else and don’t look like a complete crazy person.

Even at rock choir tonight someone who I’ve become really good friends with looked st me nicely and I burst into tears!!

If it isn’t one thing it’s another. A part of me is thinking I should get my bloods done a month early and get on meds a month early. Just to see if my behaviour calms down. Before I lose everyone including work colleagues.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
No, I would say more but am not allowed to even now I may have said too much.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
No, I would say more but am not allowed to even now I may have said too much.
We. Experienced dieters will have findings which others don't want to hear.
I had to try lchf to evaluate whether FOR ME. I know for you too, you did the same. We are all here to pass on our experience to help those struggling.
I wish i had a me NOW to have told me how things can turn out. The pitfalls etc.
The poster has asked for our experience in helping the difficulty dealing with cravings. We are all qualified. Right?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes experience counts for a lot we all have to deal with cravings if we have them and if you have been dealing with the problem for an extensive period as just about every one here has how we are affected and how we deal with it can provide valuable insight for those just starting out I have been here for some time and I still have cravings for the things I used to enjoy but are bad for me those cravings have triggers and some times those can arise from the most mundane of situations like just a walk to the shop if possible you should avoid those triggers if you can't then you must hope that you can withstand them one way that can help I have found is to be aware of what you may have to face in any ordinary day there are times that I feel I am almost at war with my self there is a part of me that knows I must not give in to those cravings but also a part that says go on just once won't hurt but it will.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Anybody seen this test before?

The marshmallow test is one of the most famous pieces of social-science research: Put a marshmallow in front of a child, tell her that she can have a second one if she can go 15 minutes without eating the first one, and then leave the room. Whether she’s patient enough to double her payout is supposedly indicative of a willpower that will pay dividends down the line, at school and eventually at work. Passing the test is, to many, a promising signal of future success.”
I just got a Diabetes.co.uk email that alludes to this video.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes experience counts for a lot we all have to deal with cravings if we have them and if you have been dealing with the problem for an extensive period as just about every one here has how we are affected and how we deal with it can provide valuable insight for those just starting out I have been here for some time and I still have cravings for the things I used to enjoy but are bad for me those cravings have triggers and some times those can arise from the most mundane of situations like just a walk to the shop if possible you should avoid those triggers if you can't then you must hope that you can withstand them one way that can help I have found is to be aware of what you may have to face in any ordinary day there are times that I feel I am almost at war with my self there is a part of me that knows I must not give in to those cravings but also a part that says go on just once won't hurt but it will.
When you say cravings John, do you find yourself almost salivating like Pavlov’s Dog or are those cravings at a much lower level?

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
Well, people who bring in freshly made glaze donuts to work are evil .........Seriously you have to cheat a little time to time but you need to balance it out with other things like increasing excerise, Portion size is also important like when I have to have pizzia I get a slice and not an entire pie......... I just do want have the stuff lying around my refrigerator tempting me.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
When you say cravings John, do you find yourself almost salivating like Pavlov’s Dog or are those cravings at a much lower level?
Well I didn't hear any bells reading and as I have virtually no parotid glands I no longer produce saliva but my tail was wagging I think.:)

It's the the aromas wafting from the take a ways and the bread shops and deli that get me I find it very difficult to not rush in and say give me one of those right now usually I resist the urge but it's hard.

The guy in the deli does these fantastic pork pies baked in the shop with Stilton topping and his home made cheese cakes are literally to die for. stop it stop it John, now I'm going to have to walk the long way round tomorrow to avoid it.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't smoked a cigarette since 01 June 2007 (I like starting or ending things on specific days) but still get an urge sometimes when catching a whiff.. freshly baked bread still exercises a slight pull too so I just have to say "thats' poison" in my head to myself to avoid it. It's been 4 years since I ate any bread.
However it certainly does get easier over time. I'd also agree with @Jim Lahey that "replacements" are a slippery slope so I now avoid anything with a slightly bread like texture (even if keto). I appear to have no "off" switch with such things.

I have similar conversations with myself in my head, but when I stopped smoking (decades ago), I also stopped going anywhere there were people smoking, and with high-carb foods, that's not possible. If I'm offered something high carb now, rather than starting by saying I have T2 diabetes, I start off saying I have a metabolic condition which means I can't process the carbs. I also have hyperuricemia, and so have to be ready to explain about purine levels, and people get used to it. But I'm now in my 70s and most people I know who are older have some sort of diet they follow to help a wide range of medical things.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had the 'replacements' occasionally. I don't have them every day but knowing I can have something at least slightly sweet helps me when there are biscuits etc at work The replacements are okay but they don't give me the same hit so I don't have any more cravings- its funny if actual carbs were like them I wouldn't have any problem with moderation. They don't give me the same lift but help a little feel less deprived. The best thing they do is help me resist real carbs

AliciaWarren

I think it's very useful to notice when cravings for sweet or starchy food occur and don't occur. For instance hardly ever happen after a really good dinner with plenty of fatty meat and vegetables. Often happen when sleep deprived or stressed over days. Happen when fail to make good meals because of being stressed or tired. Happen when did it yesterday. I find I need to consciously push the reset button by having a good dinner and an early night, and then plan the week's meals, and generally add disciple and routine back into my life once I am no longer tired.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it's very useful to notice when cravings for sweet or starchy food occur and don't occur. For instance hardly ever happen after a really good dinner with plenty of fatty meat and vegetables. Often happen when sleep deprived or stressed over days. Happen when fail to make good meals because of being stressed or tired. Happen when did it yesterday. I find I need to consciously push the reset button by having a good dinner and an early night, and then plan the week's meals, and generally add disciple and routine back into my life once I am no longer tired.

absolutely.