Village diabetes group

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Commissioning Group for Rushcliffe decided that all villages should have a diabetes group. First one was today. We all had to give our story, when diagnosed etc. I told my story - when diagnosed at A1c of 97 - paused - and said it's now 36 and LCHF there was a combined 'WOW' One man said that he was doing that as well but didn't get to talk to him about it. One lady whispered to me and asked if I could help her. Tea & coffee provided with semi skimmed milk and two plates of 'sugar free' biscuits with 50g carbs per 100g. One man told me that high fat will block my arteries, told him what I thought about that but he was unconvinced. Lady leading the meeting said that there were other ways of lowering blood glucose and I replied what about those biscuits.

There will be another meeting in November so I will get more questions then.

Unfortunately I had to leave early as it was my tai chi group

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Commissioning Group for Rushcliffe decided that all villages should have a diabetes group. First one was today. We all had to give our story, when diagnosed etc. I told my story - when diagnosed at A1c of 97 - paused - and said it's now 36 and LCHF there was a combined 'WOW' One man said that he was doing that as well but didn't get to talk to him about it. One lady whispered to me and asked if I could help her. Tea & coffee provided with semi skimmed milk and two plates of 'sugar free' biscuits with 50g carbs per 100g. One man told me that high fat will block my arteries, told him what I thought about that but he was unconvinced. Lady leading the meeting said that there were other ways of lowering blood glucose and I replied what about those biscuits.

There will be another meeting in November so I will get more questions then.

Unfortunately I had to leave early as it was my tai chi group
Our local Diabetes UK group used to organise discussion days together with the NHS which were pretty hopeless and normal biscuits were served with sugar for the tea! I think you may struggle to dislodge standard mantra about fat etc as many will just follow what they have been told and won't do their own research. The food industry wins again....

Colin Crowhurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Recent hospital stay, "goodies" trolley came round with "Diabetic Sweets" 85g per 100 g carbs......

Showed the guy and explained it was completely wrong for Diabetes.......

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They are lethal. Sweets and chocolate with sorbitol act like a laxative

Reactions: jjraak

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@carol43 - this was wonderful reading - I cannot help but think that this is the way of the diabetes education future. Grass roots. Face to face meetings (and encouragement to join this forum and forums such as this, at least in the English speaking world), getting the message out there etc etc.

And yes - too too sad that you can use evidence of added sugar and carby food making us sick and the avoidance of it making us better - right in front of you. The biscuits! Too too sad. People are going to get way sicker with diabetes before we can, hopefully, turn this trend around with great food and nutrition, and people like you. Like us! Getting the message out there.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The next meeting is 6th Nov and guess what...................DiabetesUK are visiting to talk about their organisation. I wish I was confident to shout them down.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The next meeting is 6th Nov and guess what...................DiabetesUK are visiting to talk about their organisation. I wish I was confident to shout them down.
It is worth sitting in to see what they have to say at the very least.

Reactions: jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@carol43 Diabetes UK do much much more than recommend a diet you disagree with.
Perhaps it would be worthwhile joining the session to learning about their help desk, advocacy services, research, lobbying and more. Unlike DDM (the owner of this site), they do all this as a charity and not to make money.
they may well do, Kim

but i am in agreement with @lucylocket61 100%

the advise is just plain wrong.