BG reading dropped after meal

Rocklobster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a newbie I'm just wondering if this is normal. I'm eating LCHF closer to Keto. I've also been extending my fasting from 16hrs to between 20-24hrs some days. Not having breakfast most days but only doing the longer fasts every few days.

Today for example I broke my fast for dinner, so pretty much 24hrs, with a meal containing 11 grams of carbs mostly from green veg. Before dinner reading was 6.8 and 2hrs after it's dropped to 5.9. Confused by this as I was under the impression the after meal reading would usually go up, I didn't know if it was related to fasting?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes fasting raises levels a little (liver dumping). I’m not much of a faster so others might be able to explain it better. But a good low carb meal to break even a shorter fast can give a lower figure and it’s not a problem.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's my understanding that eating something triggers the production of insulin so that may well be what happened to you. :)

Reactions: Rocklobster

Rocklobster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks HSSS and Energize, that makes about insulin levels going up after eating bringing the number down. I'd read about levels not necessarily being low while fasting but when I looked up levels dropping after meals the only things coming up were about hypos! Which is really not something I need to worry about when my lowest ever reading has been 4.8!