Kaleido Pump

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is anyone else using this new (ish) pump yet ? any thoughts ?

From first impressions it looks like it would be good, its tiny, got a 200ml reservoir, takes any short acting, can be body mount patched or pocketed either with cannula. Does not do stacked bolus's like the Insight but other than this it looks pretty good.

Robin233

BANNED
My friend uses this new pump. The use of this insulin pump not only allows for better control of glucose metabolism, but also greatly reduces the incidence of hypoglycemia, and the need for insulin is greatly reduced. It can also make her life more free.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
With experience of two different pumps (not Kaleido), I would find the inability to stack bolus to be a problem. What do you do when you are eating a long meal?

Hi Kim - I may be taking part in a trial so will let you know. The company came back to me a few days ago and confirmed that stacked boluses are not supported. But from experience other pumps and older pumps do not do stacked bolusing, for these you need to look at the pump on what it left for your bolus - cancel it - input a new one and add what was left of the old one. This was common practice for me before I got the Insight, not sure if the bolus wizard works though in this case or if its all manual. You might be able to bolus wizard then add the missed bolus on top before you apply it. But to be fair I only use stacked bolus's maybe once a month or less so for me I could live with it.

You cannot work the pump without the remote, it has no manual control except through the handset (but that's why its so tiny).

It does not support extended or stepped bolus timed doses in less than 30 min blocks, so you can only set 30 - 60 - 90mins etc. The Insight supports 15 min blocks 15 - 30 - 45 - 60mins etc.

Reactions: Struma

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks hopefully this might also help @Sibyl :)

As your new @Sibyl if needed let me know and I can seperately explain what a stacked bolus is if needed ;-)

Hi there! Just popped in and saw your post! Saw my consultant on Christmas Eve and she suggested I try the Kaleido. As you say they are looking for trial candidates. I got the feeling from the consultant that if it’s not for me I would be able to try another as there would be no minimum use period. I should get called in by the end of January apparently.
I have a vague idea of your extended bolus etc. At the moment on MDI I will split a bolus if it’s a long drawn out meal. I presume the stacked bolus is how to cope with eating extra while still having insulin on board. How to avoid a cascade affect. Yes definitely new topic for me!
I hope this new learning curve is not too steep for me! Lol!

Reactions: Chas C

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Sibyl its not clear if the trial I was to take part in is going ahead but I'm still on the "list". I'm now moving to the t:slim in January, this looks pretty good when linked to the Dexcom G6 as it can be set to help manage lows and highs as well as exercise and sleep too.

Good luck with your trial, BTW I've not found another pump (other than the Insight) that does stacked boluses, and although its great I've hardly used it.

Reactions: porl69 and Sibyl

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Sibyl its not clear if the trial I was to take part in is going ahead but I'm still on the "list". I'm now moving to the t:slim in January, this looks pretty good when linked to the Dexcom G6 as it can be set to help manage lows and highs as well as exercise and sleep too.

Good luck with your trial, BTW I've not found another pump (other than the Insight) that does stacked boluses, and although its great I've hardly used it.

Hope the t slim proves a good “fit” for you. It seems to be well liked on here. I think for me the choice was the Kaleido or a Roche. I’ll keep you posted! Happy New Year!

Reactions: porl69

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been on the T:Slim X2 since March & I'm very pleased with it. Was updated to Basal IQ which attempts to stop low blood sugars or at least make them less serious. Works better than I expected. There will also be an upgrade to Control IQ which tries to deal with highs. That is being released in the USA in January.

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well as I’m sure all interested parties in here know, Kaleido had big problems at the start of the year and pulled the pump. My team decided I’d waited long enough and I’m starting on the Omnipod Dash in December.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well as I’m sure all interested parties in here know, Kaleido had big problems at the start of the year and pulled the pump. My team decided I’d waited long enough and I’m starting on the Omnipod Dash in December.

Did not know about the issues but my local team did not go ahead with a trial either.