If stress is a factor......

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just out of curiosity…..and it is job-related.

If stress can affect BG readings, when is it the best time to make sure you are indeed relaxed, or not as stressed out: while eating, or a few minutes before taking your blood rate?

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi @angustia. Hmmm, yes, stress. It is because stress is a stimulus for a hormone response, which is all part of the normal workings of our bodies. Hormones, and the stress hormones stimulate our ability to respond to a stressor, with energy. Attendant hormones and a big glucose dollop from our livers. So we can get away from anything potentially destructive. Fright or flight and all that.

I totally relate to work situations as being potentially destructive! But we can't often flee from them, without fleeing from our source of income, alas. So we can be left dealing with the too highly raised blood glucose level in us with bung blood glucose systems.

So it is interesting and instructive to take your BG while stressed as well, imho. And then again some period of time later, when you have calmed down - the flight or fright response has ended in other words. The instruction is what you can then do about it.

If you cannot flee a stressful interpersonal relationship, or situation, work situation, can you practice relaxation techniques at your workplace? ie at the point of the stressor. Counting, meditation techniques - this is what I do post testing my BG when highly upset after an interpersonal stressful situation. Or is the engagement with an actual work activity that is stressful?

Alcohol has been used as long as we noticed the affect of fermented fruit and veg, to bring on a relaxed state! Especially post stress of any kind. (Not that I am advocating it, just noting it.) But this is of course in the comfort of our own homes, mostly, ideally. Some time after a stressful work situation?

As has brewing low-level-drug drinks, such as tea! With regards to tea making and drinking, I think too the ritualistic aspects of this, the repeated activity and movements, contributes hugely to its relaxation effects, apart from the actual feel-good drug. (Boiling the water, having special pots, cups, special concoctions etc etc.) It is not an accident that tea ceremonies are a part of a zen meditation practice, after all. And I think of the oft quoted power surge when Brits responded to something upsetting in an episode of Coronation St, back in the 'old days', as it was surmised, kettles were being boiled all over the British isles, for a relaxing post stress cup of tea! 'Mindless' repeated, or ritual movements contribute to relaxation hugely, and is something to do with brain waves, there being different ones for different types of thoughts, non-thought, and activities. Non-thought is relaxing.

I pay attention to tea making and tea drinking, as it often fits in very well in a work place. Ditto coffee for some.

And then, yes, test your BG when your heart has stopped beating, if it was, if your mind is relatively clear, if you have stopped shaking, if you were shaking.

Or are you talking 'just' general workplace stress? Rather than a spiking-type stress? That would be trickier. But again, really interesting test your BG at work, and at home in the same time frames, and compare, to see if your workplace is raising your BG levels dangerously. Then you can up with practical solutions? Ask us to help with them?

Reactions: angustia