Famous type 2s - Do they keep it a secret?

BAZZA_P

I mean just browsing you don't tend to find many famous Type 2 diabetics and if you do they are mainly of a more eldery age. From what ive realised since diagnosis there are many people in their 20s 30s 40s etc who have type 2 but i cant find many famous ones? Do you think they keep it a secret i dont know maybe scared of some kind of stigma i dont know? What do you guys think?

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Thats a very good question, you hear of many celebrities and athletes with Type 1 diabetes but i don't think i've heard of any with Type 2.

I shall google and see what i can find :)

ebony321

Dislikes
Well i googled,

and the second link was this very website, out of all that were listed 2 were confirmed Type 2 and one was unconfirmed which type;

Ayden Byle
Name:
Ayden Byle
Date of birth:
Diabetes Type:
Type 2
Ayden Byle is a world-famous runner, though probably best known in North America.
He is also one of the most well known diabetics in North America as a result of running 6521.5 kilometres across it.

Type 2 diabetes
Byle sufers with type 2 diabetes and as such he was the first insulin dependent diabetic run the great distance. His efforts raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for diabetes cure research.

Type 1 or type 2?
It is unreported whether Aretha Franklin is an insulin dependent diabetic, however whether it be type 1 or type 2, this legend has not let having the condition interfere with a career stretching over fifty years and should therefore be an inspiration to anyone.

Randy Jackson
Name:
Randall Darius Jackson
Date of birth:
June 23, 1956
Hometown:
Baton Rouge, USA
Diabetes Type:
Type 2
Randy Jackson is probably best known as a judge on the hit TV series American Idol. Randy, a type 2 diabetic, is also a Grammy Award winning record producer and himself a musical talent who started performing at the age of 17.

:)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya, isnt the olympic rower steve redgrave and gary mabbott [played for tottenham] diabetics? Anna.

Snodger

Steve Redgrave and Gary Mabbutt are both type 1.

the comedian Arthur Smith is type 2 and writes a column for Balance - at least he used to. Haven't had a Balance for a while... :?:

BAZZA_P

The columist and former radio host Jon Gaunt has Type 2. There must be more famous UK people who have it like people in bands , in films on tv etc

Squadron Leader

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Religion
Donald Trump
Sir Steve Redgrave is Type 2. (Source: Diabetes UK)

I've got a question though... Is it really important for someone in the public eye to reveal that they are diabetic? It doesn't make them a better/ worse actor/musician/ athlete/ etc.
so why should we know about it?

I don't reveal to all and sundry that I'm diabetic (it's not relevant to who I am as a person or what I do), so why should they?

K

ebony321

Dislikes
Squadron Leader said:
Sir Steve Redgrave is Type 2. (Source: Diabetes UK)

I've got a question though... Is it really important for someone in the public eye to reveal that they are diabetic? It doesn't make them a better/ worse actor/musician/ athlete/ etc.
so why should we know about it?

I don't reveal to all and sundry that I'm diabetic (it's not relevant to who I am as a person or what I do), so why should they?

K

I think it's good that famous people reveal they have diabetes, it shows that diabetes doesn't hinder and that people can still acheive their dreams :) Makes for a good role model for say a teenager or child with diabetes i think!

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
Halle Berry is Type 2 and gorgeous!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya all... halle berry type 2 ??? wow.... there's hope for me then!!! Anna.x

pheobe

i have believe Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber is a type 2
and the Late great Elvis Presley a diabetic but not sure which type

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Lets not forget I am T2 8)

I dont like to make a fuss about it but people I dont even know mention me on their blogs
eyebrows.gif

jopar

Sorry but steve redgrave is actually T2 diabetic

He started using insulin while training as he was on high carb/calorie diet for training purposes, so it was easier to keep his blood glucose stable using insulin instead of oral medication..

He still uses insulin he's has had a pump for quite a few years and now wears a CGM sensor but he is a T2 diabetic still... If you watch his pormotion video for a GMC he states he's T2 on this

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
I think maybe a lot of T2's keep it a secret. There is a heck of a stigma. Someone at work last week accused me of being a massive drain on the NHS and his tax payments because I got a free prescription. It really can be quite upsetting to hear these ignorant statements. The media doesn't help either with t2 always seemingly associated with obesity.

Jim H

The only one that comes to mind is Paul O'Neill, (Touring car Driver and brother of Mel C). However I would imagine he is Type 1 not T2. He was diagnosed in 2004 and had to stop racing, (Racing was licence was temporarily withdrawn) until it the condition was brought under control.

Sara_Bubastis

http://www.everydayhealth.com/type-2-diabetes-pictures/celebrities-with-type-2-diabetes.aspx

Hi there! I'm new and this post interested me, so I looked up on Google and found this.

Also allegedly the ancient Egyptian Queen Hatshepsut was diabetic- not sure of which type though! :wink: