What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Trouble sleeping

A few of you have been posting about lack of sleep. Well I was having a koffy with a wood working pal of my mine who always wakes early 5:30ish. I've set the scene.

So 3 nights ago he had a headache and took some Ibrufrofen and didn't wake up till 7:00 am, so he has repeated this and now doesn't wake till approximately 7:00am.

Reactions: DJC3

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I often sleep better when I take acetominophen (I still can't spell that word!). But last night I slept like a log without it.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Posting Fbg 12hr late! It was 5.8
Been looking after grandchildren too @Muddy Cyclist @ianpspurs and @Debandez Took them to the climbing wall then settled them into crafty afternoon making bottle lamps they can give for Christmas presents ( painting empty wine bottles and putting fairy lights in them- we have quite a lot of empty wine bottles embarrassingly)
@PenguinMum I do hope your eyes are ok now and you had a relaxing afternoon on the sofa with your cuddly pals.
@Krystyna230410 glad your eye clinic went well - shall we remind you in Dec not to stress?
@jjraak I’m loving the sound of your hippy decor.
@mojo37 I always use my phone as I don’t have a laptop. A word of warning - I got a horrible episode of rsi in my shoulder after spending too much time on the forum.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
painting empty wine bottles and putting fairy lights in them- we have quite a lot of empty wine bottles embarrassingly)

I’ve just caught a train from Euston. They were giving away empty gin bottles for free in the first class lounge - rather nice ones, but I didn’t have room in my bag. Guess you’d have preferred a full one though!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve just caught a train from Euston. They were giving away empty gin bottles for free in the first class lounge - rather nice ones, but I didn’t have room in my bag. Guess you’d have preferred a full one though!

Haha yes! I don’t seem to have much trouble emptying them! However the one I usually drink has labels which must be superglued on - they’re practically impossible to get off so I would have liked an empty one really. Why on earth were they giving them away though?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haha yes! I don’t seem to have much trouble emptying them! However the one I usually drink has labels which must be superglued on - they’re practically impossible to get off so I would have liked an empty one really. Why on earth were they giving them away though?

I think because they had nice designs and corks in the top - very stylish.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear, I'm still partying come and join us. Last of visitors Just gone but I'm wide awake. BG 5.5 probably the red wine, good company and contentment. But now off to bed a year older than yesterday.

Sleep well one and all.
Your party sounded amazing. Happy belated birthday.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg....7.6

So failed this morning compared to other mornings this week. Sigh.

But I do have a major problem, hence me not being able to sleep. The latest IOS update has has rendered my iPhone approaching useless in regards to compatibility to my Cochlear Speech Processor.

Amongst other problems it has caused with my Speech Processor (it attaches to my head via a magnet and all sound is delivered straight to my neural pathways directly inside my head), Apple in their infinite wisdom decided that Cochlear deaf people would absolutely love having all alerts, trills, chirps, and incoming phone call ringing to be directly inside the neural pathways of their head and at an increased intolerable sound level.

The sound level I would imagine a hearing person would suffer being right besides Big Ben as it was chiming 12 o’clock.

It turns out that there is no option to turn this facility off. I get a lot of spam phone calls and before the update I didn’t hear them because I cannot hear a phone ringing.

Put it this way, a hammer was an option yesterday...

Going on the Apple forum, I find many absolutely demented Cochlear Implant people...

Actually I am not kidding on the hammer option. I have been struggling all week with the fall out this latest IOS update has caused my total dependence on technology.

I was all day going through every setting to try and shut the **** thing off. Yes I turned Bluetooth off, it is not meant to connect anything to my Cochlear Sound Processor if Bluetooth is off. But it is bypassing Bluetooth even if it is off and sending a pile of unwanted unwarranted loads sounds directly into my head. I was trying Apple Forum suggestions. And notifications are turned off too, bit something is bypassing and adding to that too. Hence I was so wound up sleep was not an option.

I won’t bore you with every hearing problem this IOS update caused me, otherwise this post will be all day in the writing.

This is one Cochlear problem I never foresaw. And if I had, then I would never have got this Cochlear Implant done.

Cochlear themselves say on their webpage that this is an Apple problem, so get in touch with Apple and not Cochlear. What a cop out. They make a big thing on their promotional site about their collaboration with Apple.

Sorry, this is developing into a full blown rant. I had better stop now.

What a ******* nightmare for you!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm just spending an hour trying to catch up on thread. And what stands out so much is the care, compassion and humour on this thread. It's an absolute pleasure to be a part of and never fails to bring a smile to my day.

Just saying.

Reactions: karen8967 and DJC3

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.9 today and anticipating a very non eventful day staying in with Dennis - he’s only allowed out for toilet breaks. He keeps trying to bounce around in his usual way but then stopping promptly and sitting down when he realises it hurts.
@Fndwheelie hope all goes well today, alcoholism is a horrible disease, it’s effects on the people around them can be just as devastating as to the drinker themselves. Take care
Agree, my sister struggles. It effects is all. Massively.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Mornng All. Slept in till 8 and got 5.6. First dry day for ages and the tree surgeon has cancelled again failed truck this time! Hugs to @Muddy Cyclist and @OldButBold hope you each start to turn the corner pronto. @gennepher I too use my meter less mainly BG on rising, before lunch and before supper so I can tailor what I eat. A line in the sand for me is to be 5 before supper, otherwise its not a good day. Of course in the first 6 months or so I used it a lot more. Apart from the reassurance that gave me I was also learning which foods in which quantities I could tolerate. We are all different but we are all doing our best to make this work. For me the comraderie and support I get on this thread is absolutely vital and I thank each and every one of you. Speech over, sorry to gush.
@SaskiaKC hope you wake to a better day today and the KC has learned to bring you coffee in bed. Have a great Tuesday all. Stay/get well, stay safe.
You reap what you sew. You are one of the most supportive members of this forum. Even in the face of adversity you think of others. One incredible lady.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Posting Fbg 12hr late! It was 5.8
Been looking after grandchildren too @Muddy Cyclist @ianpspurs and @Debandez Took them to the climbing wall then settled them into crafty afternoon making bottle lamps they can give for Christmas presents ( painting empty wine bottles and putting fairy lights in them- we have quite a lot of empty wine bottles embarrassingly)
@PenguinMum I do hope your eyes are ok now and you had a relaxing afternoon on the sofa with your cuddly pals.
@Krystyna230410 glad your eye clinic went well - shall we remind you in Dec not to stress?
@jjraak I’m loving the sound of your hippy decor.
@mojo37 I always use my phone as I don’t have a laptop. A word of warning - I got a horrible episode of rsi in my shoulder after spending too much time on the forum.

I gave you a hug for the rsi. I got a horrible pain in my shoulder that I figured out was caused by spending too much time on my laptop (including on this forum).

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the gig will be OK thank you although it is for 2 hours just hope my voice holds up.
@Debandez and many others. Isn't all this misleading advise being given frustrating? I am still battling with friends who are pre diabetic, have seen the success I have had with LCHF and yes it does have its problems. The said friends HbA1c was 47, doctor said not to worry just watch sugar intake, friend is looking at sugar content of carbs but not carbs in total, so beer, chips, pasta, whole grain rice, wholemeal bread, breakfast cereal and the usual list are all fine in their book, I explained about carbs but it fell on deaf ears, there is only so much I can say without becoming a bore, very disturbing.
I've had the same reaction 'I will just take the meds and then I can eat what I want'. But the meds are just a mop and bucket. You have to stop the leak. Head buried in sand. Health complications for that friend coming much more frequently. I'm not surprised. He has JUST decided to go low carb. Keeping everything in all goes well.

Reactions: Krystyna23040

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hallelujah I've caught up!

Love love love this thread.

@SaskiaKC anything apt emoticon wise. I wait with baited breath. I know it will bring a smile to my face.

Many different challenges for many forum.
Members. But the support on here helps immensely dont you think?

So its goodnight from me. See you in the morning my friends.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there. Here are a couple of dietdoctor links that might help. Even if your BG goes up a bit temporarily on a longer fast, over time your base level should improve. I also find that the lower carb I go (tending towards carnivore at the moment) the flatter my BG whether fasting or not.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/why-is-blood-glucose-elevated-when-fasting

https://www.dietdoctor.com/why-does-blood-sugar-increase-during-a-fast
Thank you for these links. It does make perfect sense and I will definitely try longer fasts now - even if blood sugars go up in the short term.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This forum has a lot to answer for!
Forgot to mention your earlier post with the birds, I loved it, very clever and witty.

Thank you. :)
m0239.gif
(and hello to Dennis!)