Is there ever a time that cravings completely disappear

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
My problems is similar - but my hunger is real - I suffer from a Diabetic condition/illness begins with
the letter 'P' (it was discussed here a year or so ago) - NOT A CRAVING FOR A PARTICULAR
FAVOURITE FOOD but hunger pangs created by the very act of eating - I am always hungry for
hours after a decent sized meal. It maybe because I am sticking to a low-carb diet (the same every
day) boiled chicken and mixed vegetables. I have tried everything I can think of just to lose that
hunger pang. Recently started on sucking mild cheese - but you know how it is - one's eaten 100+gms
before you regain control of yourself hahaha. This makes my eyesight blurred for three days minimum.
Please, I beg of you, do not suggest nuts and berries as the solution - cannot stand them.

Forgive me for going slightly off topic but I would like to hear other members who have the hunger
pang so-called illness.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My problems is similar - but my hunger is real - I suffer from a Diabetic condition/illness begins with
the letter 'P' (it was discussed here a year or so ago) - NOT A CRAVING FOR A PARTICULAR
FAVOURITE FOOD but hunger pangs created by the very act of eating - I am always hungry for
hours after a decent sized meal. It maybe because I am sticking to a low-carb diet (the same every
day) boiled chicken and mixed vegetables. I have tried everything I can think of just to lose that
hunger pang. Recently started on sucking mild cheese - but you know how it is - one's eaten 100+gms
before you regain control of yourself hahaha. This makes my eyesight blurred for three days minimum.
Please, I beg of you, do not suggest nuts and berries as the solution - cannot stand them.

Forgive me for going slightly off topic but I would like to hear other members who have the hunger
pang so-called illness.
Boiled chicken and veg sounds very low in energy as well as being suitably low in carbs. Do you not include fats for satiety? If not I’m not surprised you’re hungry. Eat the cheese!! Try looking at some websites for meal ideas and get some variety into your diet. Doesn’t necessarily mean loads of cooking.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple
And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation
and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas
also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Excellent site and first port of call for many getting their head round low carb.

Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

What is making your eyesight blurred? The cheese?

marzak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
inactivity, being stuck indoors
From time-to-time I was still experiencing minor cravings for dark chocolate and nuts before I went full-carnivore. Nothing that would present a real problem, but the temptation was always potentially there. Hasn't entered my head once since quitting all non-animal produce. Completely temptation-free for several months.
I do not want to eat a carnivorous diet and reduced my blood sugar with nut seed oil and veg diet. If I am hungry it is usually because my glucose is low. I do exercise a lot and if I am feeling an urge to nibble it will be nuts followed by weights (just light repeats) cuppa or apple cider vinegar dilute drink and maybe pressups and a walk. HBA1C from over 100 to under 40 in 6 months, 2 months drug free. I also run and swim for the insulin resistance. I think cravings are in the mind and the person who posted about eyesight and neuropathy gives me the best advice - cake vs ability to function fully is no contest. I hope to be fighting this for a good few decades!! We are all different which I respect but we can each find a way... Grit - enjoying donuts or chocolate must remain a memory!!

M

Member496333

I do not want to eat a carnivorous diet and reduced my blood sugar with nut seed oil and veg diet. If I am hungry it is usually because my glucose is low. I do exercise a lot and if I am feeling an urge to nibble it will be nuts followed by weights (just light repeats) cuppa or apple cider vinegar dilute drink and maybe pressups and a walk. HBA1C from over 100 to under 40 in 6 months, 2 months drug free. I also run and swim for the insulin resistance. I think cravings are in the mind and the person who posted about eyesight and neuropathy gives me the best advice - cake vs ability to function fully is no contest. I hope to be fighting this for a good few decades!! We are all different which I respect but we can each find a way... Grit - enjoying donuts or chocolate must remain a memory!!

Sure thing. I only ever speak for myself and do not prescribe my way of living to anyone else. Whatever works for the individual. We can only share our experiences and let others find their own path.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Boiled chicken and veg sounds very low in energy as well as being suitably low in carbs. Do you not include fats for satiety? If not I’m not surprised you’re hungry. Eat the cheese!! Try looking at some websites for meal ideas and get some variety into your diet. Doesn’t necessarily mean loads of cooking.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple
And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation
and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas
also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Excellent site and first port of call for many getting their head round low carb.

Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

What is making your eyesight blurred? The cheese?
Yes the cheese - 100% certain

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Yes the cheese - 100% certain
Your reply is most useful - my problem is that I have always cruised between 6-7mmol and even with fasting
have difficulty getting below that. However, on the occasions I have got down to <6.0 I do not need a meter to
tell me I am getting low (for me that is) because I start severe hypo symptoms - extreme hunger, shakes, anger and unable to concentrate - I am pretty certain that if I went down to 4.0 I would go into coma. I only have to have one small orange and I am up to 9.0 and bananas just one medium I am at 11.0+

I always suspected that even though the meal was correct for my weight that it was not satisfying the body's natural urge for food - I am eighty years old and run my house, garden, repairs, washing, cooking, shopping, etc., etc., and drive a motorcycle everywhere so I think I have above average strength and energy for my age.

Again - I am very grateful for your advice

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
boiled chicken and mixed vegetables

If that's all you are eating your body is probably crying out for some dietary fat.
Boiling the chicken will get most of the fat out so your satiety levels must be minimal... no wonder you're hungry.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
If that's all you are eating your body is probably crying out for some dietary fat.
Boiling the chicken will get most of the fat out so your satiety levels must be minimal... no wonder you're hungry.
Thank you bulkbiker you have confirmed another respondent's view earlier for which I thank you - I will take dietary advice

Reactions: bulkbiker

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Try this technique

I want have (insert what you want to eat) but will have it tomorrow..

if next day the craving hits again say to yourself

I want have (insert what you want to eat) but will have it tomorrow...

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Try this technique

I want have (insert what you want to eat) but will have it tomorrow..

if next day the craving hits again say to yourself

I want have (insert what you want to eat) but will have it tomorrow...

I think if I tried that the cravings would get worse because I’d be so blooming excited about tomorrow!
My parents are down and when we go out I have a bite if their cake, couple of chips at dinner etc.
I’ve been waiting all week!

It is a great idea thank you. I might try it but I know that is probably get worse.

Reactions: annabell1

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
I think if I tried that the cravings would get worse because I’d be so blooming excited about tomorrow!
My parents are down and when we go out I have a bite if their cake, couple of chips at dinner etc.
I’ve been waiting all week!

It is a great idea thank you. I might try it but I know that is probably get worse.
That's why you do it every day but I hear ya. I also eat foods not recommended it can be a mind game. It is also hard work and when other people don't understand but serve these foods in it's a mental challenge to say no and hard to say no thank you. I'm watching lots of YouTube videos on LCHF/PALEO KETO benefits to continue to keep motivated I'm seeing my GP next week hoping he will give me more support and I'm going to ask if he will monitor my progress whilst I'm on this journey. And I'm loving this forum so much support and encouragements better than some of the Facebook groups I've been in.

Ole1

Hi
Cravings are a normal effect and hard-wired in our brain (POMC neurons, the arcuate nucleus in the hypothalamus,....). Ketosis from VLCH diets can reduce hunger, via a variety of mechanisms, but often does not reduce the cravings. (Those feelings of wanting and liking that cake)
Perhaps ask your doctor about Contrave (a combination of low dose Naltrexone and Bupropion), licensed in the UK (not NHS funded).