Skimping on infusion set costs

jimmax

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know this is not acceptable to Tandem but I'm seriously thinking of changing my T:Slim infusion site every 3.5 days and changing the cartridge, tubing and steel needle only every 7 days. Every second site change to halve the cost of consumables. I Think it is practical but I know the life of the tubing and cartridge has to be considered as well as the strength of the insulin. I would like to hear from anyone who has tried to do this.

jimmax

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The idea is to re-site the metal cannula after the first 3.5 days without disconnecting from the pump. It's very easy to re-insert and tape down after stopping the insulin. Complete cartridge, tubing and cannula Would be changed at 7 days.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @jimmax If you can re-insert the steel set and tape it down then that should be ok, I agree there could be issues with insulin degradation from the plastic reservoirs however I cannot say how long it takes before this happens, my DSN told me to change every 3 days for this reason, however am going to tag @tim2000s as he may have more knowledge of this and could help.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @jimmax as Juicy has said if you can reinsert the steel set then go for it BUT the resevoir and insulin I would be changing every 3 days. Again, as has been previously said the plastic will cause degradation of the insulin. Are you in the UK?

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know this is not acceptable to Tandem but I'm seriously thinking of changing my T:Slim infusion site every 3.5 days and changing the cartridge, tubing and steel needle only every 7 days. Every second site change to halve the cost of consumables. I Think it is practical but I know the life of the tubing and cartridge has to be considered as well as the strength of the insulin. I would like to hear from anyone who has tried to do this.

When I used a Medtronic/MiniMed pump I would fill the reservoir with just under 300 units only change the reservoir and tubing when it ran out, which could be 7 days or sometimes more. I never had a problem with insulin degrading despite what they tell you!

jimmax

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all your replies.
Has anyone read an official manufacture's statement concerning the degradation of the reservoir and tubing? I haven't seen anything in print. about this. The User Guide gives reasons to change the site but no reasons to change the cartridge or tubing, only saying they must be changed every 48 to 72 hours or more often if needed. This appears to be referring only to site tissue damage.