Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude People.
Animal Cruelty.
Unnecessary Drama.
I haven't been well, I was being sick yesterday but haven't today as of yet, I've eaten but had to wait to make sure I wasn't sick before I did insulin, I'm 16.0 and also checked my ketones to my surprise I have 3.4 ketones, I've never had that many for such a lower ish level. My level was 20.0 yesterday and only had 1 ketone. I don't feel I need to go hospital but I'm not sure what I am meant to do.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you'd best get medical advice. DKA is nothing to take risks with.
If you're unwell, as far as I understand, ketones can rise to dangerous levels much quicker than normal.

Hope you'll be well soon!

Reactions: No1DeadlyPoison

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Over 3mml/L would be regarded as being at risk of DKA. Though high blood sugars are the most obvious sign of DKA, if you didn't taken enough insulin, maybe because you were feeling sick, yesterday, that would be the reason you have such high ketones.

I assume you've taken insulin now? Are you taking a basal insulin? that should reduce the risk of DKA.

I don't really know what you should do, as I've never had ketones so high I had to go to hospital, but I think you should probably talk to someone, just to check your symptoms, and make sure you have taken sufficient insulin. It is a very serious thing, so don't do nothing.

Reactions: No1DeadlyPoison

No1DeadlyPoison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude People.
Animal Cruelty.
Unnecessary Drama.
Over 3mml/L would be regarded as being at risk of DKA. Though high blood sugars are the most obvious sign of DKA, if you didn't taken enough insulin, maybe because you were feeling sick, yesterday, that would be the reason you have such high ketones.

I assume you've taken insulin now? Are you taking a basal insulin? that should reduce the risk of DKA.

I don't really know what you should do, as I've never had ketones so high I had to go to hospital, but I think you should probably talk to someone, just to check your symptoms, and make sure you have taken sufficient insulin. It is a very serious thing, so don't do nothing.
I have taken my insulin and am on basal. I have just checked my ketones again and they are now 2.2, so they are going in the right direction! I shall keep an eye on them. Thank you for replying! x

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have taken my insulin and am on basal. I have just checked my ketones again and they are now 2.2, so they are going in the right direction! I shall keep an eye on them. Thank you for replying! x

Good to hear that, thanks for letting us know your ketones are back to a more reasonable level.