What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@shelley262 -- So sorry to read about your younger son's accident. Hope he'll be better soon.
@DJC3 -- Your meal at the hotel sounds simply wonderful. Actually had to look up turbot on the internet. Had no idea what it was.
@maglil55 -- Glad your heating and hot water is working again, in time for the cooler days to come. Sorry about the new troubles with your car. Must be really exasperating.

Had another late day at work yesterday and an early one today -- even set my alarm clock an hour too early by accident. On a positive note, it gives me a chance to catch up on posts.

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. A small bowl of homemade soup (merguez, quail, green beans, white beans, celery, sambal oelek, garlic-ginger paste, beef stock, tomato paste), which get better every time, it's reheated. A small serving of eggplant enchiladas filled with cheese and onions. Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and smoked salmon. (This was all my daily carb allowance in a single meal.)

Lunch: Nothing.

Evening snack at work: A bag of chicken cracklings, two babybel cheeses.

Late night at home: About 20g of manchego cheese, a 30g piece of soft cheese, and half a merguez sausage (maybe about 20g). One and a half glasses of red wine.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I can relate to the ‘few or a lot depending on perspective’ it made me laugh. I kid myself a handful of nuts is a few but actually I can grab a surprisingly large quantity.
@DJC3 home grown walnuts, winkling them out of the shell slows down consumption. The fact that they are free and virtually carb free encourages it.:greedy: have tried to post pic, but not successful.
17-10-19
6.30am Breakfast nut granola and tea.
11am Tea with cheese and biscuits. 2 cream crackers, approx 10g carb, plus 2 portions of cheese.
No lunch, slept through it
3.30pm tuna nicoise salad( from previous experience on ferries there is very little low carb food.) Pot of peanuts. 9.4g carbs.
Dinner. Avocado, 2 eggs, 2 slices of ham. Greek Yoghurt with a dash of cream. Coffee and Cremant De Loire.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 home grown walnuts, winkling them out of the shell slows down consumption. The fact that they are free and virtually carb free encourages it.:greedy: have tried to post pic, but not successful.
17-10-19
6.30am Breakfast nut granola and tea.
11am Tea with cheese and biscuits. 2 cream crackers, approx 10g carb, plus 2 portions of cheese.
No lunch, slept through it
3.30pm tuna nicoise salad( from previous experience on ferries there is very little low carb food.) Pot of peanuts. 9.4g carbs.
Dinner. Avocado, 2 eggs, 2 slices of ham. Greek Yoghurt with a dash of cream. Coffee and Cremant De Loire.

Home grown walnuts! How wonderful.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn’t get a chance to eat until around 3pm by which time I was ravenous and almost scared to have anything as I thought Id never stop if I started. Couldn’t think what to have that’d be quick to prepare and not just a string of snacks.
Luckily a new box of LoDough arrived just then so I had one as a wrap with chicken pate and lettuce.
Dinner was beef shawarma with tzatziki, then as I still hadn’t got over the previous hunger, 2 slices smoked cheese and a handful of walnuts (30g I did stop briefly to weigh them)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Another very hungry day today. Don't know why because my BG was high right from the start and has remained high all day.
I used the air fryer to cook some sausages for breakfast - they cooked but they were a bit dry on the outside. I had taken some pork belly slices from the freezer, intending to try them in the AF, so I needed to cook them. After marinating 2 slices in olive oil, lemon juice, a bit of apple chopped up very small and some crushed garlic, I put them in the AF for 25 minutes at about 225C. This time it worked very well and they were very good. I'm still hungry though.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: Left over Mediterranean veggies with melted cheese on top followed by Greek yoghurt, raspberries and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee
Dinner: cold bbq chicken with leafy salad and two orange rapture tomatoes followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Reactions: maglil55

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a game plan today but I gave it up for music and a free electric band. Tried 2 baby bels for breakfast - same rise as no food really so waste of carbs/cals/money ( same as the last time I did the experiment.) 2 more baby bels and a CCB for lunch whilst baby sitting. Back late - for an old timer - heated the last of the celagne and had a slice of pork. Albert's words were better.

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Grandsons shouted a liquid lunch, seafood platter and several pots of XXXX Gold.
Dinner: Oyster blade steak, veggies, mushroom gravy.
Breakfast: Cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomatoes.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugars, beer, water.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
18-10-19
Breakfast : tea
Went out for breakfast as not suitable food in the van. Ordered smashed avocado on toast with smoked salmon. Somehow I got avocado on toast and scrambled eggs with smoked salmon on a bagel. MrSlim had the bagel.
Lunch. Not really any. We had tea I had 2 packets of almonds. This was about 3pm.
Dinner out with Son3 and partner. Scallops black pudding( minute amount) even smaller quantity of pea purée.
Main bream fillet with chowder. And vegetables. Didn't need desert, but everyone else was having some, so cheese and biscuits. Generous portion of all. Gave away the grapes, left the celery but couldn't resist the chutney. And after a while ate the biscuits with butter.
Tea back at the van. Then bed.
Off there was wine with the meal. Water as well.

Edited to correct date.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Late entry as friends came round for meal and they have only just left. I did main and friends did starters and pudding.
No breakfast as had to rush out.
Lunch cheese omelette.
Mid afternoon some defrosted choc olive oil cake with yoghurt
Dinner small bowl of mushroom soup, tandoori chicken, salad followed by pudding sf jelly with yoghurt ( from my stash - others had apple crumble and custard made by friend!) bgs fairly high just now, after being low much of day, so presume mushroom soup quite carby- only had half a portion and swerved on the beer bread!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All!

no B
Massive Mixed Grill at carvery for L. Had a few chips but happily left the rest, even though they were nice ones.
Then surprisingly hungry at 8 pm so cooked some sausages and had 4
Then shared another one with the dogs.
Then realised that only left one...
So tidied it away ;)

that was an excess of sausage, wasn’t it! Haha!

did I tell you about my pate?
Made some (bacon, chick liver, sloe gin, onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and cream cheese, and used @DCUKMod ‘s silicon cube trays to freeze it). Rather pleased. The sloe gin was only added to finish the last half gulp from the bottle, but has added a definite something.

oh, and I’m off for a few days with family, so cooked Mr B a huge cauldron of stew for while I am gone - oldstyle - root veg, veg, bouquet garni, et al. He picked out the veg, and chose a lot of carrots, fair enough, but my goodness they have sweetened it up. You would think I had tipped sugar in! So sweet I wouldn’t enjoy it, I think. Odd how tastes change so dramatically.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All!

no B
Massive Mixed Grill at carvery for L. Had a few chips but happily left the rest, even though they were nice ones.
Then surprisingly hungry at 8 pm so cooked some sausages and had 4
Then shared another one with the dogs.
Then realised that only left one...
So tidied it away ;)

that was an excess of sausage, wasn’t it! Haha!

did I tell you about my pate?
Made some (bacon, chick liver, sloe gin, onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and cream cheese, and used @DCUKMod ‘s silicon cube trays to freeze it). Rather pleased. The sloe gin was only added to finish the last half gulp from the bottle, but has added a definite something.

oh, and I’m off for a few days with family, so cooked Mr B a huge cauldron of stew for while I am gone - oldstyle - root veg, veg, bouquet garni, et al. He picked out the veg, and chose a lot of carrots, fair enough, but my goodness they have sweetened it up. You would think I had tipped sugar in! So sweet I wouldn’t enjoy it, I think. Odd how tastes change so dramatically.

Funny you should mention those ice cube trays. Only yesterday we were talking about our casually developed ice cude tray protocols. Somehow we have drifted into a system, which, once bagged up, help identify what the blocks are (when I frget to label that bags.

The large ones tend to be broth/stock over various sorts. I have a silicone baton tray (IKEA) which tends to be batons of peanut butter, which we add to bait trays, for visitors to the outhouses in winter, when they like to chance their luck indoors, against the weather.

A red, silicone heart shapes (IKEA), which is grated ginger - each heart is about 1 dessert spoonful. The hearts reflect my enjoyment of the ginger, and a blue fish shaped tray for shredded garlic - again about a scant dessert spoonful.

Who knew one could make it so complex . :eek:)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@PenguinMum -- Hope your visit to the hospital for eye injections went well yesterday. Thinking of you.

Got home late yesterday after an early start and an evening out with one and a half glasses of red wine. So postponed posting until today.

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. One small bowl of homemade soup (merguez, quail, celery, green beans, white beans, garlic-ginger paste, sambal oelek, tomato paste).

Lunch: Nothing.

Snack at office late afternoon: Four babybel cheeses, one package of chicken cracklings.

Out at a wine bar with said one and half glasses of red wine (one glass of Corbierre, half a glass of Malbec).

Later at home: 120g of chicken liver pate, about 30g of a soft cheese, another glass of red wine.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Late entry as friends came round for meal and they have only just left. I did main and friends did starters and pudding.
No breakfast as had to rush out.
Lunch cheese omelette.
Mid afternoon some defrosted choc olive oil cake with yoghurt
Dinner small bowl of mushroom soup, tandoori chicken, salad followed by pudding sf jelly with yoghurt ( from my stash - others had apple crumble and custard made by friend!) bgs fairly high just now, after being low much of day, so presume mushroom soup quite carby- only had half a portion and swerved on the beer bread!

I’ve fallen foul of soup before too, very impressed you only had 1/2 bowl. I hope that the pleasure of having friends round made it worthwhile though.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
An experimental day menu wise to see how my tastes and bg reaction? has changed over time. B - tried 800 mls tea with 30 mls cream. Fairly unpleasant to drink and the 1 rise at 2 hrs same as usual just tea but will do it tomorrow with same mug and almond milk. Flu jab, rugby then pork scratchings and CWC (30 mls cream). Scratchings were salty but I liked the crunch and the coffee wasn't a great experience - not sure how I used to drink it most days. Walked the dog for an hr and skipped what I planned for lunch. Evening was avocado and mackerel salad (4.7 before eating) first thing I can honestly say I liked. More experiments/checks on changes to come.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Today after higher than usual FBG (likely due to traumatic eye injection)
Breakfast: slice LivLife toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch: Cheese scone, butter, tea.
Supper: Tandoori KPs cauli bhajee (still off kitchen duty so boys choice)
2 Blood orange gin &ST now I am off the meds.
Enjoy Saturday evening everyone.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Scratchings were salty but I liked the crunch
I eat lots of chicken legs. I remove the skin and fat, chop, then fry till crisp to make home-made scratchings. Nicest eaten when till warm, salted in my case with Lo Salt to boost my potassium intake. I look forward to reading about more of your experiments. I'm surprised you didn't enjoy coffee with double cream - I love it. In my "healthy eating low fat" days I didn't allow myself cream, so it is one of the perks of VLC eating.

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
presume mushroom soup quite carby
Do you know what was in it besides mushrooms, which I believe are pretty low carb? I am inspired by the thought of it to plan a soup with mushrooms, chicken stock and Slim rice.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another very hungry day today. Don't know why because my BG was high right from the start and has remained high all day.
I notice this happens to me too. When I feel unusually hungry I check my bg and it is usually up, whereas when it is nicely low I tend to feel shaky and slightly sick, so not keen to eat. It seems the wrong way round. I wonder if other people experience this?