What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank goodness you got home safely.
Hi Pm I meant to ask how you were recovering from the eye injections very remiss of me not to I just got consumed with sorting out this blasted recovery service...don't worry too much about your own cover tyres/wheels are covered by most services I figured out afterwards it was all about me having to contact my insurers likely to arrange a tow hence more money...I have spoken to them & made my feelings clear & I have re-joined the AA who assure me they would have sent someone out...however positively I wasn't on my own there were a couple of young men in two vehicles immediately behind me playing some delightful head thumping music & imbibing a herbal substance...by the smell of it I'd say it was skunk circa 2019...then the merry drunk with his headphones on gyrating wildly to some spiffing tune kindly inviting me to join him needless to say I declined...visual/aural entertainment was a cacophony of continuous sirens & flashing blue lights... have I mentioned the couple engaged in unspeakable acts of depravity in the Kentish Town Job Centre doorway...no...probably better not to (nice to see it being of some benefit to the local community)...so overall a valuable learning experience which I have to be philosophical about...it could have been worse thankfully at least I was central and not in the depths of the countryside.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m in the AA and have always found them to be wonderful, good that you’ve changed back.
Did it immediately this morning DJC...I have posted and given my full review of the experience...I'd give it a zero star rating...that said the company who came out were hideously expensive but wonderful...the owner called me continuously gave me an update on their arrival...then to make sure I was okay...a wonderful polish man worked so hard & got me back on the move...so despite the circumstances there were some positive element...how's our little Dennis this morning...ooh the phot of him in his baby grow mad me 'pup' broody.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Pm I meant to ask how you were recovering from the eye injections very remiss of me not to I just got consumed with sorting out this blasted recovery service...don't worry too much about your own cover tyres/wheels are covered by most services I figured out afterwards it was all about me having to contact my insurers likely to arrange a tow hence more money...I have spoken to them & made my feelings clear & I have re-joined the AA who assure me they would have sent someone out...however positively I wasn't on my own there were a couple of young men in two vehicles immediately behind me playing some delightful head thumping music & imbibing a herbal substance...by the smell of it I'd say it was skunk circa 2019...then the merry drunk with his headphones on gyrating wildly to some spiffing tune kindly inviting me to join him needless to say I declined...visual/aural entertainment was a cacophony of continuous sirens & flashing blue lights... have I mentioned the couple engaged in unspeakable acts of depravity in the Kentish Town Job Centre doorway...no...probably better not to (nice to see it being of some benefit to the local community)...so overall a valuable learning experience which I have to be philosophical about...it could have been worse thankfully at least I was central and not in the depths of the countryside.
Thats very funny and frightening in equal measure o_O Thanks for asking it wasnt a great day but better today. Glad you did eventually get some decent help at the hands of our European friends :)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for asking it wasnt a great day but better today. Glad you did eventually get some decent help at the hands of our European friends :)
I have to think of it as somehow perversely funny PM...it would have made a great comedy sketch...hopefully another day of rest & relaxation (if there is such a thing for a woman;)) will improve your eyes...how ironic we want to get out of Europe yet I meet many Europeans who work incredibly hard in difficult circumstances committed to making a good life here...there are a tiny majority who abuse the system...sad really...okay off to make more coffee & some brunch...rest up and look after yourself.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...worked in London last night finished relatively early had time to pop in & see a friend... heading home my wheel hit something in the road the tyre split...possibly a pot hole or a sharp stone who knows...pulled into the side of the road called my breakdown cover spoke to the most ignorant young man who stated it wasn't covered it wasn't mechanical he insisted I call my insurers...finally called the insurers spoke to an equally unhelpful young man who just put the phone down...sat in the midst of Kentish Town for four hours fortunately found a mobile company who came out...checked the wheel...changed the tyre fitted a new tyre on the spare and I was on my way...finally got home & to bed at 4am...have spoken to the insurers & the breakdown company this morning made my feelings clear they are investigating...have told them what happened last night was so bad it's a must for an honest social media review...needless to say I have re-joined the AA...woke to a not surprising 6.8.

That is exceptionally bad. And leaving a woman who is on her own is bad too. A compromise should have been suggested, and sort details out later.

I would definitely be on social media with this one.

Hugs for you.

Reactions: jjraak and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did it immediately this morning DJC...I have posted and given my full review of the experience...I'd give it a zero star rating...that said the company who came out were hideously expensive but wonderful...the owner called me continuously gave me an update on their arrival...then to make sure I was okay...a wonderful polish man worked so hard & got me back on the move...so despite the circumstances there were some positive element...how's our little Dennis this morning...ooh the phot of him in his baby grow mad me 'pup' broody.

So glad you got home ok, and big up to the lovely Polish chap.
Dennis is just starting to perk up today although he must still only do 5-10 mins on-lead exercise for another week so I anticipate a stir crazy pup in the next few days and a lot of chewed possessions.
One very weird thing is that he seems to be scared of his water bowl now - he won’t go near it and jumps back and runs off if we offer it to him. We’ve tried different bowls, metal, ceramic plastic, deep ones, shallow, just can’t figure out what is spooking him. I’ve had to squirt water down his throat with a syringe to make sure he’s getting something, or give him a cupped hand of water.
96c6acc2-d77a-4a18-a836-01a135e7029b.jpg

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve had to squirt water down his throat with a syringe to make sure he’s getting something, or give him a cupped hand of water.
Ahh he is so gorgeous DJC...if he's eating well try putting water in his food if he has wet food he's getting some liquid...he's had a little trauma so it will take him a while to settle...he's a little trooper ( I want him so much).

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7.7 this morning. It seems the longer and later I sleep the higher my FBG is.
I was on the board late last night searching "neuropathy" but couldn't find much at all. The other night I felt sensations in my arm and shoulders as if icy drops of water were hitting my skin. It felt so real that I even looked up to see if the sprinkler system was leaking. No, thank goodness, but I wondered if it might be neuropathy. Weird.

@HarryBeau what a horrible experience. I would certainly rip them on public media and review sites -- anonymously of course! I'm glad you finally found someone to come out and fix your tire, and that you got home safely! When I had a car I was always a member of AAA, I'm glad you rejoined the AA.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A source close to my meter briefed the D.CUK forum that a 4.6 deal would be spun as today's farrago of semi truth and propaganda. @trick60 - I feel your pain (translates as wot, no rugger?) The kaleidoscope of events I currently inhabit is full of possibility today. Who was Henry Martyn that I must needs remember him today? Will my prayers for injury free, exciting but fairly played matches produce wins for England and Ireland? Can the Greased Pig be stopped before the slow motion car crash he so needs (and my grandchildren so don't) produces the inevitable aftermath? Will I get a badge for being a brave boy having my flu jab and can I remain ignorant of events in Japan while queuing for said jab? Anyhow, the builder's calculator must be in overdrive from yesterday and all still on track for my move to Little America https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-40457736. Happy Fall.

I'm glad you posted that link as I was really curious about what was meant by "Little America."
(I was surprised to learn the Americans aren't better prepped on life in England before being sent there [I thought we all knew about mince pies! and yet I didn't know about Little America!] and that they are allowed to bring their cars. Wouldn't it be much more economical to buy or lease British cars for that long a period? I did like the price of the haircuts -- much more affordable than here.)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm glad you posted that link as I was really curious about what was meant by "Little America."
(I was surprised to learn the Americans aren't better prepped on life in England before being sent there [I thought we all knew about mince pies! and yet I didn't know about Little America!] and that they are allowed to bring their cars. Wouldn't it be much more economical to buy or lease British cars for that long a period? I did like the price of the haircuts -- much more affordable than here.)
I really like the little differences like signs outside houses saying happy fall. At shift change over roads are full of huge L/H drive pick up trucks. If our deal goes ahead pretty sure our new neighbours either side will be US service people. We have had a similar situation once before and they were the nicest, kindest people you could wish to know. Great credit to your country.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for saying that, @ianpspurs. :)
You are welcome. The parents and children of the US service people I went to school with plus those at school with my grandson have also all been excellent ambassadors. Do still chuckle at some names - Lee Nelson Mckean Junior and William Roth iii in particular.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ahh he is so gorgeous DJC...if he's eating well try putting water in his food if he has wet food he's getting some liquid...he's had a little trauma so it will take him a while to settle...he's a little trooper ( I want him so much).
Thank you, you’ve reiterated the advice the vet gave too, about adding water to his food.

I did think about you yesterday as my daughter was in a terrible state having finally found the courage to give her cat ( called Cat) up for adoption. She’s had her nearly 10yrs and has been her closest pal and confidant all through adolescence and relationship break ups - they have a very special bond. However the flat she’s living in now ( in which pets aren’t actually allowed but she pleaded with the Landlord) just isn’t a good place for Cat - it’s on a main road so she’s frightened to let her out and it’s not very big. She’s been trying everything for the past year - those plug in Feliway things, making a hidden cosy nest. They’ve looked and looked for other flats too but can’t afford anything with a garden. Cat is getting more and more poorly, her skin is flaking and scabby and she’s just miserable. If it weren’t for Dennis we’d have her here but she is very very nervous and doesn’t like dogs, or many people. It’s so hard and it’s breaking my daughter’s heart but she’s said, and we all agree, that she has to put Cat’s well-being before her own feelings. We are hoping she will find a kind lady to care for her.
I did think of sending you a PM but now Plumpy has happily come back into your life I know it wouldn’t work.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are welcome. The parents and children of the US service people I went to school with plus those at school with my grandson have also all been excellent ambassadors. Do still chuckle at some names - Lee Nelson Mckean Junior and William Roth iii in particular.

Very typical American names in my experience! :D I think it's good that the kids were/are all in school together getting to know each other. I do think bringing the humongous cars over is silly though -- I don't even like them here, unless it's a friend's one-ton pickup hauling a horse trailer, of course. ;)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
a 6.5 fbg this am.
up and at em ?...naw..a slow saturday for me..;)

awful treatment, @HarryBeau .
not the best when anyone breaks down, but in such 'entertaining'' circumstances
almost unforgivable that the company didn't just arange attendance (at cost maybe)
real poor show.

Glad you got home safe and sound.:happy:

@PenguinMum, sounds like it's going well, even if not fully better
best wishes for the day ahead.

And difficult choices for the daughter, @DJC3
but seems like she's really tried and just run out of options now.
so sad for her.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Very typical American names in my experience! :D I think it's good that the kids were/are all in school together getting to know each other. I do think bringing the humongous cars over is silly though -- I don't even like them here, unless it's a friend's one-ton pickup hauling a horse trailer, of course. ;)
Have to say the humongous cars fit in well with fenland and breckland natives transport. Can't see how one could move safely around some of these parts in winter without a very sturdy 4 x 4.

Reactions: gennepher

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did think of sending you a PM but now Plumpy has happily come back into your life I know it wouldn’t work.
Oh how sad...'Plumpy' doesn't come in that often but he does like cats unfortunately they don't like him...Churchill would tolerate him and occasionally give him a slap...but if she won't tolerate the odd sniff (full on) and is nervous then I think you're right otherwise I would have had her in an instant...such a shame...honestly why do we put ourselves through this...because they are worth it & we have to accept we must do the best for them we can...I don't envy your daughter's circumstances but I have no doubt the cat will find a good home it's a brave & right decision.

Reactions: gennepher and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh how sad...'Plumpy' doesn't come in that often but he does like cats unfortunately they don't like him...Churchill would tolerate him and occasionally give him a slap...but if she won't tolerate the odd sniff (full on) and is nervous then I think you're right otherwise I would have had her in an instant...such a shame...honestly why do we put ourselves through this...because they are worth it & we have to accept we must do the best for them we can...I don't envy your daughter's circumstances but I have no doubt the cat will find a good home it's a brave & right decision.

Thanks for those kind words. That’s the thing to hold on to - we must put their welfare first. Her head knows this but her heart is breaking, mine is too at seeing her so distraught but we’ve been round in circles for months now trying to come up with an alternative.

Reactions: gennepher