Type 2 Abbott Freestyle Libre Skin Rash After 10 Months Usage

BK Lim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been using Abbott Freestyle Libre, problem-free, since July 2017. Unfortunately, since 04 May 2018, my right arm developed a skin rash when I took out the Sensor upon its fourteen-day expiry period. I was shocked by the deep red circular rash on my skin. And it’s still there, today, 13 May 2018.
And yesterday, 12 May 2018, my left arm also developed a skin rash when the Sensor (applied on 04 May 2018), prematurely came off after a week’s usage.
I am disappointed, and troubled, by these two successive skin rashes as I’ve become totally dependent on AFL given its convenience and reliability... But now I’m wary about using it again. Since yesterday, I’ve reverted to the traditional finger-pricking test strips. But I miss using AFL.
I’d appreciate it if someone could share with me analogous situations, if any, and the artermath / remedies. Thanks.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Well, I had the same issue after 8 (10?) months. I guess as a T1 I know my immune system is not 100% (bye bye islets of langahans) so I wasn't totally surprised when this happened. I persevered for several months, but after another month the rash combined with increasingly inaccurate readings (readings of LO all night when my glucometer readings were 5 or 6) and I had to give up. (This was after Abbott sent several new sensors and even a new reader.)
The good news: after a few months the scars cleared up (I was starting to run out of sites to attach the increasingly itchy sensors).

Six months later and I attached my last patch last night. (I'd dropped my glucometer on a walk and was facing an evening and night with just one testing strip left for my neglected freestyle libre meter, so I decided to attach the libre and blood test before bed to see how well the sensor reading corresponded to reality.) And the answer was 4.7 on the reader compared to 6.1 on the blood testing strips. (Which isn't great, but a lot better than the disparity I was getting on my last sensor). This morning, after finding my lost meter (thank you kind person who put it on the fence next to the start of my walk, you're a true lifesaver), I'm running at about 2 less than the true reading (on a bs of around 8), which I can sort of live with, if it stays consistent for the rest of the fortnight. The sensor has started to itch though, which may be more of an issue. It's not bad yet, but I haven't yet had it on for 24 hours.

I'm hoping that if the reader is accurate enough, I may be able to get away with occasional use without it becoming uncontrollably itchy.....

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same problem here. Gutted! Arms a mess, so having a couple of weeks off. Not going to throw In the towel yet though. Have 3 sensors in the cupboard with a different code to the last 4, so hoping (maybe vainly) that they may be different.

Siljesyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Could this be linked to a change in the glue formula?

Same problem here! Used it for 8 months and then started to develope a rash with leaking sores underneath the sensor. The sensor then fell off. Next one gave me the same rash, then stopped working. Got a replacement sensor, stayed off the patch for 14 days to let the skin heal again. New sensor worked ok without rash. Replaced it after 14 days. Then this sensor started to give me a rash and leaking sores after 3 days. Sensor fell off. Put a new sensor now on the stummock yesterday. Hope this one will work better.

I am wondering why i suddenly were not developing rashes with one of the new sensors, but my old ones was giving me troubles. I buy my sensors in batches of 6. All of my troubles have been associated with the last batch of 6 sensors. The one new sensor seems to not give me a rash. Trying to talk to the people at the abbot service center in Norway, they said something about improved glue. Maybe it’s this improved glue that gives us the problem? Only two sensors left of the old batch, hoping for better results with a new batch!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Every time I put on a Libre sensor and I don't get a skin rash, I send up a little appreciative waft of thanks to the Powers That Be.

I get reactions to almost every form of sticky plaster, including the hypoallergenic ones. It stuns and delights me that I don't get a reaction to the Libre. So far.

I hope they never change the glue formula.

Reactions: EllieM

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This has been an ongoing thing with some people. I had exactly the same scenario and reported it to Abbotts who gave the standard reply intimating that they hadn't had any other reports of this happening.

I did try having a break of 3 months but the net sensor started itching after a day and had to be removed after a week as I couldn't stand it any more. Such a shame because it was the most affordable of the continuous readers.

I haven't returned to it and currently use the Dexcom G5 system which costs more but have had no further skin trouble.

KenBachelor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cheese
I'd like to put on record that I think the Libre sensor is the best thing since sliced bread.

What I don't understand is why Abbotts and most other companies, have never heard of the problem I'm experiencing before.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Every time I put on a Libre sensor and I don't get a skin rash, I send up a little appreciative waft of thanks to the Powers That Be.

I get reactions to almost every form of sticky plaster, including the hypoallergenic ones. It stuns and delights me that I don't get a reaction to the Libre. So far.

I hope they never change the glue formula.

Useless factoid - did you know that the phrase 'hypoallergenic' was dreamed up by a marketing team and originally had no scientific meaning. To this day, a manufacturer can make the claim without conducting any testing whatsoever.

Reactions: Brunneria

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'd like to put on record that I think the Libre sensor is the best thing since sliced bread.

What I don't understand is why Abbotts and most other companies, have never heard of the problem I'm experiencing before.

Of course they've heard of it. They just won't admit they've heard of it. With admission comes liability and some expensive lawyers.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Short term memory loss... having the same thing reported over and over, and they still haven't heard of it happening.

Golly.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Short term memory loss... having the same thing reported over and over, and they still haven't heard of it happening.

Golly.

Page 5 of the user manual.

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-13_10-18-51.png
    upload_2018-5-13_10-18-51.png
    294.9 KB · Views: 1,193

Mr Whippy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry for digging up an old thread but does anyone know if Abbot have changed the adhesive yet ?

It's been over 12 months since I last used one - the itching was so bad that I had to rip it off after 24 hours... I heard they were supposed to be changing the adhesive formulation sometime this year but I'm none the wiser if they have already done so or not. I won't be risking another one unless I know its been changed...

Cheers - Dave. (T1 since '96)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sorry for digging up an old thread but does anyone know if Abbot have changed the adhesive yet ?

It's been over 12 months since I last used one - the itching was so bad that I had to rip it off after 24 hours... I heard they were supposed to be changing the adhesive formulation sometime this year but I'm none the wiser if they have already done so or not. I won't be risking another one unless I know its been changed...

Cheers - Dave. (T1 since '96)

Abbott are being less than forthcoming with information but the general concensus of opinion seems to be that in the UK, the adhesive was changed around April time. I haven't used Libre for a while so I cannot vouch for it personally but in a facebook group that I watch, a few people are reporting little or no reactions to current sensors.

Mr Whippy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just a quick update - Bought one, got the full 14 days out of it, no rash, results a lot closer to my finger prick readings than previous libre sensors.

Looks like they have indeed solved the adhesive reaction issue.

Thanks again - Dave.

Reactions: EllieM