What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Goose skin is the best IMHO - Lidl frozen ones soon be in. Plan to have one for St Martin's Advent (Nov 11th) was excellent last year.
Goose skin scratchings sound wonderful, but I doubt a goose would fit into my tiny, ancient microwave. To my way of thinking, if it can't be microwaved, it can't be cooked!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Goose skin scratchings sound wonderful, but I doubt a goose would fit into my tiny, ancient microwave. To my way of thinking, if it can't be microwaved, it can't be cooked!
Needs the oven methinks. Only meat/poultry I have found where the skin stays crisp when kept in the fridge.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I start to shake and my eyes start to see everything darkly, then I know I'm in trouble and have to take action right away.
That sounds really scary. I presume it happens when you are high rather than low? May I ask, how high? And what action do you take?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I dec ided to have courgette pancakes. Shouldn't be anything in that the increase BG
It all depends on how many g carbs you can tolerate. Courgettes and eggs are not carb free. Courgettes have 2g net carbs per 100g, and they weigh heavy. A large egg has 0.6g carbs in the yolk.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all. Very behind and haven’t caught up with all your news. Away at my Dad’s for the weekend and managed a very successful food day yesterday.

Lunch was at a cafe near the Black Country Living Museum in a building owned by the Dudley Canal Trust. 2 eggs and 2 rashers bacon followed up by a large tub of clotted cream left behind by previous occupants of the table :) I mean, who has afternoon tea and leaves the cream?!

Dinner prepped by me, roast lamb leg with cauliflower cheese (Dad and partner not yet ready for carnivore :D) and a lazy mousse made with cream and a teaspoon of cocoa powder.
@Goonergal lots of inspiration here! How about writing a booklet: "100 ways to enjoy diabetes with double cream"? Perhaps not the best title, maybe someone could think up a better one.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Goose skin is the best IMHO - Lidl frozen ones soon be in. Plan to have one for St Martin's Advent (Nov 11th) was excellent last year.
Are these whole or preprepared yuck?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Getting back to the theme of the thread:

B: was two slices of Gouda (pre packaged)
L: was a pack of harissa and pomegranate chicken skewers from Waitrose at a services, followed by a few squares 70% lindt
D: some heavenly ox cheek on bone broth - utterly delicious. Need to do more of this!!!

then a kind nut bar before bed, to avert peckishness before sleep.

a much lower fat day than usual. No doubt good for me, as a bit of variety, but soooo much less satisfying than usual, too.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Getting back to the theme of the thread:

B: was two slices of Gouda (pre packaged)
L: was a pack of harissa and pomegranate chicken skewers from Waitrose at a services, followed by a few squares 70% lindt
D: some heavenly ox cheek on bone broth - utterly delicious. Need to do more of this!!!

then a kind nut bar before bed, to avert peckishness before sleep.

a much lower fat day than usual. No doubt good for me, as a bit of variety, but soooo much less satisfying than usual, too.

I love ox cheek! Haven't had it for a while but my hubby made ox tongue soup, which I also love. That was my lunch today anyway.

Breakfast was the usual of buttery scrambled eggs and on the side today was left over baked stuffed mushrooms (ricotta, red capsicum and sauerkraut) and a couple of baked Brussels sprouts.

Morning tea - a cup of tea with a snack - 1 dried apricot (yes, I know), handful of walnuts and blueberries. (Most days it's a square of dark chocolate (I like Frey 85%) instead of two different fruits).

Dinner - cucumber, lettuce, red capsicum, salad (with cream), smoked salmon, slice of Gouda cheese, olives and roasted macadamia, almonds, and a coconut water.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
BG still too high this morning, but not really any higher than average. Ended up at 12 last night. Took extra insulin overnight and got it down to 7.8 by this morning.

Spent the morning telling myself that tea was all I needed and I could go without food until much later.

I have made some low carb veg curry to take to a lucky dip meal on Sunday next - to go into the freezer because this is going to be a busy week. Ended up being far more than I intended so, being about 12.30 I thought I would just have a little bowl of it (have to check it out after all). So I did and it was pretty good, and will improve by keeping for a bit. Couldn't resist another small bowl and could have gone on having another, and another. But I stopped (feeling very virtuous/deprived). The rest will definitely go into the freezer.

I had already taken out of the freezer some ragout from last week which I was going to have with some butter fried cabbage. Question is, should I now? Don't know.... I probably will, but will wait until later to decide. No, I won't wait until later. I'll have it, but later - about 6 - 6.30 maybe, if I can last out that long.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Two meals today. Breakfast was a kind of eggy mess combined with leftover lamb from yesterday. My Dad’s frying pan is somewhat optimistically described as non-stick so what started out as an omelette/fried eggs with lamb just became a scrambled mess. Pretty tasty though.

Dinner was Hotel Chocolat 85% hot chocolate with cocoa whip (have you tried it yet @maglil55 ?) followed by Five Guys bunless bacon cheeseburger with mayonnaise and grilled onions. Absolutely stuffed.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today had usual tea x2 on waking.
11.00. Two meaty sausages, two fried eggs, 1 rasher. More tea.
Supper will be either cajun chicken with tenderstem brocolli or just roasted aubergine, red onion & tomato. Feeling a bit off colour so what I imagine myself eating is white bread sandwich with fishfingers and salad cream...well a girl can dream....without fulfilling it ;) @Goonergal I would be the one leaving the cream as cant stand it. I used to feel the same about plain yogurt but can now manage Fage in the right circumstances but cream never.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Today had usual tea x2 on waking.
11.00. Two meaty sausages, two fried eggs, 1 rasher. More tea.
Supper will be either cajun chicken with tenderstem brocolli or just roasted aubergine, red onion & tomato. Feeling a bit off colour so what I imagine myself eating is white bread sandwich with fishfingers and salad cream...well a girl can dream....without fulfilling it ;) @Goonergal I would be the one leaving the cream as cant stand it. I used to feel the same about plain yogurt but can now manage Fage in the right circumstances but cream never.

Oooh, white bread, fish fingers, salad cream! Yum. Get thee behind me ...
Just as well it's Sunday, the shops are closed and I don't have anything like that in the house. I do have some cream and some yoghurt and I love both but must keep the calories down so they'll stay in the fridge. Butter, cream and yoghurt are 3 of my major weaknesses but I'm OK as long as the packets remain unopened. Those, along with crisps are great temptations.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Do you know what was in it besides mushrooms, which I believe are pretty low carb? I am inspired by the thought of it to plan a soup with mushrooms, chicken stock and Slim rice.
Maybe onions would provide carbs?