Mini Fridge for insulin

cricketer

Hi can anyone recommend a mini fridge to keep my insulin in as im going to uni soon. Do I need a specific type or will any old one do? My mum seems to think the just normal drink/beer mini fridge wont be cold enough?

Thanks

jopar

Yes it should be coo enough, as long as the fridge as long as it's above zero, and around the 5+ mark then it should be fine, insulin can be kept a room tempreture for about a month,

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
A 4 litre mini fridge in Argos is a cool £23.99 this week .. 8)
They also sell a 6 litre for £31.99

RussG

Personally I would trust a larger kitchen fridge than a mini desk one to keep a constant temp but I suppose you could always get a fridge thermometer and keep an eye on it that way.

What are you going to study at uni?

Wendywu

Dislikes
Track running. Drunks. Bigots and intolerance in any form. Bullying.
I use one of the £23.99 Argos mini-fridges in my office for the milk. I can promise it keeps the milk cold for ages - easily as long as a full size domestic fridge! I keep a spare Humalog cartridge in there and it's been fine. I can also fit in a couple of tins of diet coke in summer, or a snacky thing. But that's about all - mini really does mean mini. I like it - it does exactly what it said on the box!

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd get a small / normal fridge for both food and insulin, as food tends to be stolen from communal fridges in hallls of residence / shared houses. Might be possible to get a second hand one rather than buying new.

Ricey

cricketer said:
Hi can anyone recommend a mini fridge to keep my insulin in as im going to uni soon. Do I need a specific type or will any old one do? My mum seems to think the just normal drink/beer mini fridge wont be cold enough?

Thanks
I am a Uni student myself and a minifridge is good enough. I'm assuming you'll be living on campus. You may have to talk to the accomodation managers and tell them that you need a fridge because some Unis don't let you have them in your room.

Hope this helps :D

cricketer

Thanks guys, Im doing Sport Science (Physical Ed and Youth Sport).

Ill take a look at the Argos fridge sounds good!

Ricey

I got mine from Argos but it doesn't make too much noise. If you put your ear right to it you can only just hear mine hum but it never kept me awake. I can't remember which one mine is though.

jones_48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
You tend to be able to hear the fridge like a little fan or whirring noise, but you get used to it and don't really notice :)
I'm now going into my third year of uni but during first year i just kept my insulin in the communal fridge.. nothing happened to it apart from someone writing 'you druggie' on one of the boxes!