Newly Diagnosed could test be wrong

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We are all different and we tolerate carbs differently. You can use your meter to gauge whether the meal you just ate was suitable for you.

I make mushroom soup, very few carbs. A big8 bowl gave me a spike. Next evening a cereal bowl barely a blip.

Fruit is not good for us either. Sometimes gammon comes with a honey glaze. It's a minefield but you get used to things very quickly.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Are you overweight or slim? If you are slim then there is a possibility of being LADA (late onset T1) rather than T2; that HBA1C is high. If you are not overweight do suggest to the GP that he does the two tests for T1 i.e. GAD and c-peptide. As others have said do keep the carbs down.

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I had blurred vision for weeks and when my blood sugar went down the blurred vision went , i agree that you are diabetic , but you can get in under control and get back to being healthy and happy .

Laconic

I am having a few cups of coffee in the cafe at work milk but no sugar, wondering if the milk should be organic or should I stop this

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am having a few cups of coffee in the cafe at work milk but no sugar, wondering if the milk should be organic or should I stop this
Whether milk is Organic or not makes no difference. If you put 50mls of milk in each mugful that’s around 2.5g carbs per mug. This can mount up over the day if you drink a lot of coffee. So it very much depends on how much you put in a mug, how many mugs you have per day and your chosen carb level. I tend to have 4 coffees/day which would amount to 10g carbs if I used milk which is a big chunk of my 30 - 50g carbs per day. I drink my coffee either black, with double cream (virtually carb free) or with a virtually carb free ‘milk’ such as coconut.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could try full fat cream instead? (unsweetened whipped cream is lovely with my espresso's).

It's a steep learning curve, but you'll get there. Keep at it with the eggs and sausages, no need to cut back on any of that. As long as you're low carb, you eat until you feel you are done. No need to go hungry. And with a demanding job you need the energy. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ might help a little.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On the weight question it depends where you are, if your in a healthy BMI range already then its all about the diet and cutting carbs. Exercise really helps also but again if your already very active it may not make such a difference.

If you are in the over weight or obese category dropping down combined with healthy eating will give the best and fastest result.

I was in the obese category, i have cut down and got much more active and my numbers have improved significantly without cutting out carbs all together. Blood pressure and cholesterol have come right down also

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I was newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and have been on Gliclazide 40mg and metformin for a week. I have been suffering from Balanitis for a couple of months and it wasn’t clearing after two previous visits to the doctors and fluconzale and cannesten being given. On the last visit my doctor felt that I may be diabetic and gave me a note to take to the hospital for a blood test.
I couldn’t have it first thing in the morning because of work so went afterwards, I ate at 4:30 am in the morning porridge and dried fruit and nuts and didn’t eat again just having water, I got to hospital after work and had the blood test done at 2:00pm a 10 and half hour gap, the person who took my blood said it really should be a 12 hour gap and she will put a note on the sample stating this.
I went to doctors for result which came back as HbA1c 110mmol which is very high I explained to the doctor that I didn’t have a 12 hour fast before the test and he said it doesn’t matter and that my diabetes is very bad and has been bad for a long time. Since I’ve been on the medication my vision has gone blurry, I am going to see the doctor this week about this and would also like another test done, and I can book the day off work so I can have a 12 hour fast as is required.
Just would like people’s opinion on this will another test be beneficial or am I kidding myself and should just resign myself to dealing with my diabetes, as I have been on medication for a week and this would also affect another test result

Hi there Sorry to hear your news. Its a bit of a shock isnt it ?

I have been doing some analysis of the results reported on the forum for N=1 showing the improvements that came with adopting a low carb. diet. For most of us that seems to be sticking to under around 30g of net carbs per day and filling up on animal protein and fats and fruit oils ( avocado & olive) with some above ground vegetables.

The thing to appreciate is that recovery starts from the very first day you start eating low carb and it seems to take about 3 months for a change in diet to workall the way through to your Hba1C numbers. Encouragingly the worse your start point the faster the figures seem to come down so that within 3 months many people can be at a similar place to everyone else no matter where you start from. So if you commit to trying the low carb. diet - for which there is lots of great advice here, you may well find that a lot of your issues go away very very quickly . I speak from the perspective of someone who started at 92 mmol and rapidly turned it round - but my numbers are very similar to many on here and the food is actually rather nice! ( my own blurry vision turned round within a month) . Stick around and join in and you may well find that you feel healthier than you have in years fairly quickly! good luck