Using Byetta Injection Pens

rehill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I've been taking Byetta for six months and it has really made a difference to my diabetes control. However, when I have injected myself, and I turn the pen knob clockwise to prepare it for the next dose, sometimes the liquid squirts out of the pen. Is that normal or could I be using a defective pen?

Dr Zordas

Hi Richard, I've been on Byetta since 20th Sept. this year and no, I don't think it's normal for the stuff to shoot out of the needle like you describe; all I've ever had is a very small droplet before and after use - which is a good thing 'cos you know the pen is functioning correctly.

Does this happen with just the pen in use now or all the ones you've used...?

rehill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
It happens occasionally with my current and my previous pen. About once a week or so. When I see it, I do wonder if I had injected properly. But Byetta pens are so simple to operate, I think that's unlikely.

I'll talk to my pharmacist. Thanks for your reply.

MaryMan

Hi there I’ve been on byetta for a few years.. I never prepare the pen for the next time i turn it just before I inject.. then I store the pen so that the needle end points upward to avoid any leakage. Hope this helps