What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why am I posting at 2:50 in the morning...because I woke up an hour and a half ago. I lay there an hour and gave up. I remembered a couple of you had said a couple of paracetamol in the night might send you back to sleep for a bit.

So I am trying that, not used that for sleep before. And now waiting for the yawns to start.....

Reactions: DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@gennepher hope you don't get to see this for hours to come; @Muddy Cyclist hug for the mystifying reading and sleep pattern; @trick60 good return on off piste r and r investment - keep it in your portfolio. I think "animal spirits" is massively undervalued in the pseudo science of macros and the other mumbo jumbo trotted out on here at times. Fbg for me was 5.7 - hugely underwhelming but along with several other "key metrics" well inside don't panic area. Just completely at odds with the narrative I am spun re low carb, test pre and post and watch the rise. Once again 0 rise at any meal yesterday and comfortably under 20 gms carb. Bit like Dr Unwin's talk - n=1 is about all the data that matters. Have a great day.

Last edited:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
and am loving the Car acronyms...JEEP, FORD...:hilarious:
My best vehicle was a 4.2 litre Nissan Patrol, I did 700,000 miles in it and only ever replaced some wheel bearings and one half shaft. It never missed a beat even though driven down ravines, rivers, took part in the Malaysian Rain Forest Challenge and Australian Outback Challenge, it was still running when I sold it to a Russian for more than I purchased it for, apparently the engines are like hens teeth in Russia, amazing engineering.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...so many posts to catch up on but no time... I have two very excited young ladies to get ready for the great rescue a cat adventure...we're off to Wood Green for a ten O'clock appointment...I have emailed the RSPCA about two kittens who look adorable but will no doubt create havoc...so its all to play for today...had a wonderful day with Siobhan & Georgia in a new local restaurant...far too many carbs...woke to a 6.6

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.7

Well. That paracetamol didn’t work.

I was still awake at 5 am. Wide awake.

I needed to be up this morning for 7 am for an early appointment. I didn’t want to fall asleep at 7 am. So I tried a bit of psychology at this point. I set both my vibrating alarm clocks for 7 am.

Put my head down...and fell in a deep sleep for 2 hours and both vibrating alarms had to wake me up!

So I got two hours sleep. I’ll take that. That will have to do.

Drinking black coffee now. So a quick read of your posts then I have to get my skates on. Now bad for a geriatric.

Oh and by the way I did say a few months ago cat Popeye celebrated his 27th birthday. He is still going strong. Last night he came in the bungalow yowling his head off. It was a terrible noise. I honestly thought he was injured. I still had my Speech Processor on, and it couldn’t compute what the noise was.

Popeye came up to me with a large mouse in his mouse. He carried on yowling this banshee noise. So eventually I said yes Popeye you are a very clever cat. Whereupon he stopped the yowling. Killed the mouse. And ate it in one go. Without pausing for breaths Head first, then body went down, and then the tail disappeared. He is like a snake the way he eats a mouse. At least he killed this one first. The last one he swallowed still had the tail wriggling as it disappeared down his throat...

Then Popeye looked at me and did what I can only describe as a kitten dance, or the March madness dance he always does in the month of March and was leaping everywhere. And I am thinking, you are a 27 year old cat!

Anyway, I am off in a bit. Definitely not going to act my age either.

So watch out for batty old lady.... dressed in purple...and lime green...

Be disgraceful today....

Have fun...

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.2 this morning and I know not why.

I haven't been LCHF during this lung infection, far from it if I'm honest. For example, last night I had two buttered crumpets before bed, yet here I am in the low fives. When the virus kicked off I went full-on protein thinking it would help, but my FBG rocketed and I put that down to steroids etc. However, I switched to higher carbs and my FBG dropped.

This is why I say with honesty that I have no idea what I'm doing, I am inspired by all the dedication and information shown on here but for some reason, my brain will not engage.

Perhaps it's because I got too bogged down in the metrics, chasing numbers, and I swapped between machines trying find the 'best' results. Closer examination was that all the machines had error ranges that meant a 5.0 v 5.5 or 5.5 v 6.0 were actually the same. Worrying about +-0.5 stopped meaning anything.

Enough of me wittering on, I shall continue to be inspired by you all and hope for the best :)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I haven't been LCHF during this lung infection, far from it if I'm honest. For example, last night I had two buttered crumpets before bed, yet here I am in the low fives. When the virus kicked off I went full-on protein thinking it would help, but my FBG rocketed and I put that down to steroids etc. However, I switched to higher carbs and my FBG dropped.

This is why I say with honesty that I have no idea what I'm doing, I am inspired by all the dedication and information shown on here but for some reason, my brain will not engage.

Perhaps it's because I got too bogged down in the metrics, chasing numbers, and I swapped between machines trying find the 'best' results. Closer examination was that all the machines had error ranges that meant a 5.0 v 5.5 or 5.5 v 6.0 were actually the same. Worrying about +-0.5 stopped meaning anything.

Enough of me wittering on, I shall continue to be inspired by you all and hope for the best :)

I love reading your posts. Witter on as long as you want!!!!

I think when we are not well with a cold/flu/lung infection/pneumonia type illness then our bodies probably need some carbs.

I bet you enjoyed the crumpets with butter!!!

Maybe I should keep some in the freezer for such an emergency :)

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I shall continue to be inspired by you all and hope for the best :)
As we are by you. I'm with you on not having a clue what is going on, understand and support the theory but mystified by the results. Slowly I am vanishing away and once again I have to run around in the shower to get wet much like I did when a skinny teenager, perhaps I'm going backwards.

Crumpets!!!! Hmmmmmm!

Reactions: mojo37

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Oh dear, oh dear what have you done? Crumpets? The Elders will hear of this and be like, burn the witch. Miss Daisy will have hooded folk with pitch forks and burning brands baying outside. A whole mess of trouble now.:angelic:

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh dear, oh dear what have you done? Crumpets? The Elders will hear of this and be like, burn the witch. Miss Daisy will have hooded folk with pitch forks and burning brands baying outside. A whole mess of trouble now.:angelic:

That's what I worry about! Everyone else loses weight, except me, nothing nada. The only time I lost weight was going five days without food last year. People = "boy oh boy, metformin gives me the trots"... not me, total opposite. I am a fraud and will be defrocked by the community ;)

@gennepher @Muddy Cyclist the crumpets leaked butter like a tanker on the rocks. I'd like to say I felt guilt in that moment but, nah not happening :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.7

Well. That paracetamol didn’t work.

I was still awake at 5 am. Wide awake.

I needed to be up this morning for 7 am for an early appointment. I didn’t want to fall asleep at 7 am. So I tried a bit of psychology at this point. I set both my vibrating alarm clocks for 7 am.

Put my head down...and fell in a deep sleep for 2 hours and both vibrating alarms had to wake me up!

So I got two hours sleep. I’ll take that. That will have to do.

Drinking black coffee now. So a quick read of your posts then I have to get my skates on. Now bad for a geriatric.

Oh and by the way I did say a few months ago cat Popeye celebrated his 27th birthday. He is still going strong. Last night he came in the bungalow yowling his head off. It was a terrible noise. I honestly thought he was injured. I still had my Speech Processor on, and it couldn’t compute what the noise was.

Popeye came up to me with a large mouse in his mouse. He carried on yowling this banshee noise. So eventually I said yes Popeye you are a very clever cat. Whereupon he stopped the yowling. Killed the mouse. And ate it in one go. Without pausing for breaths Head first, then body went down, and then the tail disappeared. He is like a snake the way he eats a mouse. At least he killed this one first. The last one he swallowed still had the tail wriggling as it disappeared down his throat...

Then Popeye looked at me and did what I can only describe as a kitten dance, or the March madness dance he always does in the month of March and was leaping everywhere. And I am thinking, you are a 27 year old cat!

Anyway, I am off in a bit. Definitely not going to act my age either.

So watch out for batty old lady.... dressed in purple...and lime green...

Be disgraceful today....

Have fun...

I wanted to rate this three times. Win for you, Win for Popeye, Hug for the mouse.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Good morning all. fbs was exactly 8.0 at 5.45 am. Unusally early for me. Was wakened by one ring on my landline phone at 5.30 am followed by one ring on the mobile. Was a mobile phone number but unknown to me. No messages left on either so it's a mystery. Set my adrenalin whizzing as I assumed it was the care home saying something had happened to mum! :( Couldn't get back to sleep but just got back into bed at 7.45am and the window cleaner appeared at my bedroom window. :arghh: Had to hide myself under the quilt until he'd left.:D Guess he was an early riser too! Ever had the feeling its going to be one of those days? Have a good day one and all. :)

Update: Mystery solved. Just had a message explaining who made the calls at 5.30 am and apologising. So my mind is more at rest-- at least about the phone calls! Thanks for the hugs folks. The sun is shining! Enjoy your day.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Debandez

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning dancers of the blood sugars Argentine tango (other tango styles available) and a frabjous Monday to you all.

The wonder wheel of restless nights and midnight rambles rewarded my efforts to keep my eyes closed with a 4.9 this am.

Cars. I gave up on cars nearly two years ago now and just have my bike. Mrs Miggins though does have a Land Rover - no @SaskiaKC not one of those great looking yet very uncomfortable bone rattling things but a Land Rover Discovery Sport. It’s very comfortable and let’s just leave it at that. Ah! It does though have seven seats so that she can have all the grandchildren in at once.

Talking of grandchildren, our eldest is now OK and thank you @PenguinMum, @DJC3 and @jjraak for your thoughts.
Sorry to read that you had such a rough night of it @gennepher - I can relate to that.

must go - crumpets to source - and then guiltily chuck in the bin - where did that come from?

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah! It does though have seven seats so that she can have all the grandchildren in at once.
A brave man! We only have three grandchildren all girls and what a charming cacophony of sounds accompany us when they are all in the car at the same time.

Reactions: HarryBeau

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This morning a nice middle of the road 5.6.

Had an uncomfortable night. Started with severe reflux in the middle of the night - quite quickly followed by truly impressive amounts of vomiting. Very very unusual for me - so really surprised. I didn't post this earlier in case anyone was eating breakfast.

OK this morning - just a bit headachy and a tiny bit under the weather. Maybe was reflux or a bug or something I ate. Very hard to tell.

We did go out for a lovely walk around Sheringham Park. Didn't quite have my usual energy but I did so enjoy it - especially as the rain held off.
A winner star for the reading and a hug for feeling so ill hope u are better this morning

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jjraak I am glad you had good luck with Fords. My two short-lived ones sent me back to GM, first my parents' old Buick and then a new Chevrolet. They both served well for years, apparently never having been informed that GMC stands for Garage Mechanic's Companion.