Keto diet for 5 weeks no change in glucose

MaryMan

Hi all I’m new here.. Its lovely to see all of your comments thank you for taking the time .. I would really appreciate your comments on my situation ...i have type 2 diabetes for around 10 years now... I’ve been on a Keto diet for 5 weeks no sugar passed my lips and very very low carb ...
and have found that my numbers have not come down I’m still in the 10-12 range on my meter first thing in the morning... it’s really getting me down... I’m on metformin 2 x 1000 that I take after evening meal.
My weight is still the same. Has anyone else experienced this...I’m ready to give up on Keto..

Last edited:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @ MaryMan Are you only at that range in the morning?

The morning is easily explainable by what we call DP Dawn Phenomenon. It’s a release of hormones before you get out of bed in “preparation” of getting ready for the day. It can vary person to person or not at all. As a type 1 we take extra insulin for it. I’m sure some type 2’s will be along to help you more how to deal with it. I think one of the solutions is sometimes a small snack before bedtime. Or eventually sometimes it goes away.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all I’m new here.. Its lovely to see all of your comments thank you for taking the time .. I would really appreciate your comments on my situation ...i have type 2 diabetes for around 10 years now... I’ve been on a Keto diet for 5 weeks no sugar passed my lips and very very low carb ...
and have found that my numbers have not come down I’m still in the 10-12 range on my meter first thing in the morning... it’s really getting me down... I’m on metformin 2 x 1000 that I take after evening meal.
My weight is still the same. Has anyone else experienced this...I’m ready to give up on Keto..
You don't want to look at your fasting blood glucose only. It's the last one to come down. Check before a meal, and 2 hours after the first bite. That's where you'll see the first changes. If you don't go up more than 2.0 mmol/l between those two, you're all good and the fasting numbers'll go down eventually. Can take a year or so though.

M

Member496333

Not losing weight while eating a ketogenic diet is very often attributable to eating far too much fat. It's extremely energy dense and you don't need to eat a lot to be eating too much. For example, just 100g of coconut oil is ~900 Kcal. Straight away that's ~900 Kcal that won't need to be oxidised from the body's own storage. Purely from a fuel perspective, you could survive on 200g of coconut oil, so it's easy to see how the fat can be overdone. If you have weight to lose, it's better to burn what you already have instead of putting more in. Swilling down kilos of dietary fat is possibly the most common keto mistake. Too much protein can also be a factor for some, particularly if they're super insulin resistant.

With regards to the glucose, it's not uncommon for fasting numbers to rise in the earlier stages of ketogenic eating. The lower circulating insulin is allowing glucose to come pouring out of every nook and cranny instead of staying locked up in tissues and organs. This is good - it means you can burn it off. Initially, I would be paying more attention to overall trends, as fasting numbers are almost always the very last to fall off a cliff.

Or of course it may also be that you're simply not suited to keto, but it would be highly unusual to not lose any weight and not see any glucose regulation benefits at all. Also, for reference, it took me the better part of an entire year of hardcore keto in order to regain tip-top glucose control (I had no weight to lose). Five weeks is nothing in the grand scheme. Some see huge improvements in that timeframe, and some don't.

Best of luck with everything.

Reactions: Sparkle1953