Weight gain?

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went on a 17-hour fasting yesterday for the first time, and walked about 20 minutes.

For lunch (11 am) I had 2/3 cup tuna salad, about 5 pork rinds and 3 celery sticks with cream cheese.
For snacks - a handful of peanuts/almonds
For supper I had 1 and 1/2 pork sausages and mixed greens (leaf lettuces),
1 tbp peanutbutter, coffee
For evening snack, 1/3 cup of home-made diabetic dessert (cream cheese, whipping cream, strawberries with Splenda)

My glucose levels were all nicely down.

But this morning, I weighed and I gained 1and 1/2 lbs compared to my weight the day before!!!
Is this normal?

Reactions: jpscloud

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I definitely wouldn't read too much into that particular weight change. Trends over months are much more reliable.

I'm currently gaining in small amounts month by month, as I'm not doing as well as I'd like diet wise, but I can vary by as much as 7lbs day by day.

Well done on your fast by the way! For optimal effect, I'd try to drop the snacking - the reason for this is that fasting helps give your pancreas a break from producing insulin, and can help to improve insulin sensitivity so the fewer times you have an insulin response the better.

Last edited:

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My view is that there is no point weighing at a higher frequency then once a week.

My weight can vary wildly day to day, but over the course of weighing in the same time every week you get a good picture of the over all trend.

1.5lbs is about 650g, that is not far off one pint of water.

How much you drink, when you last went to the bathroom, the food you had for the proceeding 2 or 3 days as it moves through your system. These all change your weight hugely day to day.

You can go for a run and sweat off 1lb or more of water, but you might have only achieved a few grams of genuine weight loss.

Measure weekly at a specific time and routine to get your average.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
That's could easily be put down to just a fluctuation.

Reactions: angustia

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I weigh every morning after a wee ... weight fluctuates all over the place by pounds depending on multiple variants. Peanut butter, nuts and Splenda could have all lead to some water retention...

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I weigh daily most of the time but only refer to the trends in the fitbit app. There's nothing wrong with weighing daily if you bear in mind it will vary.

Reactions: angustia

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I weigh daily most of the time but only refer to the trends in the fitbit app. There's nothing wrong with weighing daily if you bear in mind it will vary.
I agree. I’m addicted to daily weighing and recording but I average my weight every week by totalling and dividing by 7 - for me it works better than weighing once a week. It’s personal but works for me.