Keto hbac1

Flair

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi

I am doing keto for 2 years for mild insulin resistance I have normal morning glucose 5 and hbac1 32.

My hbac1 went from 32 to 36 and glucose morning went up almost directly 5.7 For the morning I believe it was normal. But is hbac1 also normal to go up.?

How is it possible?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi Flair,
Your HbA1C is a measure of your average Blood Glucose over the last approximately 120 days, so it isn't a spiky number, unlike your Fasting BG which can be affected by :
What you eat the previous day
Dawn Phenomenon
Illness
Stress
Exercise

The way you write your question makes it seem like either you have some way of measuring your HbA1C very frequently, or you measure your fasting, pre-prandial and post-prandial BG quite infrequently. Which would be unusual for a Diabetic, but you say that you don't have Diabetes (which I interpret as that you never had full-blown Diabetes, but perhaps took control while in the 'pre-diabetes' range).

Your actual HbA1C figures and your 'finger-prick' BG figures are good - i.e. in the 'normal range' - but I expect that you already know that.

Flair

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi

I do 1 or 2 a year hbac1 measurement. I did measure my post prandial a few weeks months a year ago when i did start keto. It always oké with keto. But the fasting glucose is higher with keto. And also was now hbac1.

But i dont understand your answer. What is the reason for a higher hbac1 on keto? I know that it is with in range. But i do keto to controle bloodsugar. How do I know it's working.

I do want to control my blood sugar because my fasting insulin is high. That is why I choose keto. I always have normal fasting glucose and hbac1. I did also have gestational diabetes.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Diet is one variable albeit a major one but there are others that can also effect blood sugar levels causing rises or drops if one or more of those variables change then despite your keto diet you may see temporary changes in your levels these if short term should not effect HbA1c as that is an average of the previous 3 months levels.