Diabetes Friendly Allotment or Vegetable Patch - What to grow?

DaveH2

Today was my first day volunteering at a new community garden.

There are volunteers that have been there for months and work clearing the ground is progressing. As part of my initiation, I was given a tour around the plot of land and there is space allocated for a pond, a picnic area, a wildlife zone etc., etc.

The part I was clearing is earmarked for being a vegetable plot. I jokingly said they should have a section that is "diabetes-friendly" and the leader of the project thought it was a brilliant idea and now part of the veg plot is to be designated as the diabetes area!

It is a community garden and after it opens to the public, schools will visit to tend the veg plot as well as the rest of the garden.

So, here's a question for the green-fingered out there! What veg should go in the plot, taking into account that it needs to be diabetes-friendly and can be easily looked after by school children?

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 308541

What veg should go in the plot, taking into account that it needs to be diabetes-friendly and can be easily looked after by school children?
Lettuce and radishes come to mind as easy to look after by kids.

Hotpepper20000

Today was my first day volunteering at a new community garden.

There are volunteers that have been there for months and work clearing the ground is progressing. As part of my initiation, I was given a tour around the plot of land and there is space allocated for a pond, a picnic area, a wildlife zone etc., etc.

The part I was clearing is earmarked for being a vegetable plot. I jokingly said they should have a section that is "diabetes-friendly" and the leader of the project thought it was a brilliant idea and now part of the veg plot is to be designated as the diabetes area!

It is a community garden and after it opens to the public, schools will visit to tend the veg plot as well as the rest of the garden.

So, here's a question for the green-fingered out there! What veg should go in the plot, taking into account that it needs to be diabetes-friendly and can be easily looked after by school children?

Thanks!
Kale and Swiss Chard are easy to grow.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Broccoli and cauliflower.

Reactions: DaveH2

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Garlic. I used to grow in pots. Beans.
sounds a lot of fun.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
raspberries as they are easy to grow, but expensive to buy due to the labour picking them.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Blackberry bushes? I have no idea if they are easy to cultivate but I know they run rampant in my local park!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do raspberries have a low sugar content?
Berries that is raspberries, strawberries and blackberries are among the lowest sugar fruits.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Blackberry bushes? I have no idea if they are easy to cultivate but I know they run rampant in my local park!
Most allotment holders would try to get rid of blackberries rather than grow them, raspberries and strawberries are much better behaved.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any idea which varieties to avoid? Or even, which varieties to go for?
If they are growing outdoors then Gardener's Delight or Sungold for the tomatoes and Marketmore for the cucumbers are good. If you are in the UK you will have wait until next May or June to plant them. If I had to choose one low carb veg to grow it would be courgettes, they are easy to grow and very productive.

DaveH2

If they are growing outdoors then Gardener's Delight or Sungold for the tomatoes and Marketmore for the cucumbers are good. If you are in the UK you will have wait until next May or June to plant them. If I had to choose one low carb veg to grow it would be courgettes, they are easy to grow and very productive.

Many thanks for the varieties :) :)

As it is a community garden, it would need to have year-round appeal - there's no rush, so waiting until next summer to plant is all good :)