What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Back from a not so Muddy Ride all those days of rain and the trails are very dry, that's what comes of living on Bunter Pebble Beds. A short but fast 2 hours today and as many big hills as I could find on route, my reward is a 5.8 from Dracula I expected better!

Cycling along a grassy trail lined with Beech trees was wonderful such powerful Autumn colours and the grasses on the heathland are such a vibrant golden hue really inspiring so I aim to spend the afternoon trying to capture the memory on canvas.
Good Morening
" Keep out of trouble " now that's worth a funny
I meant all but you @alf_Josiah go cause mayhem :D

@Krystyna23040 hope Mr K gets treated well and you get to enjoy your lunch.

@jjraak hope you got out on your bike and enjoy this Autumn light.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.9 on the sort of rainy morning we have needed for weeks, the kind that looks settled in for the day, the kind that makes me want to stay in and sleep.
And I have to go out. Doctor's appointment in 4 hours. Sigh.

ETA: clouds parting now, sun coming out. Yay!

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning to you @Muddy Cyclist - nice fbg. Mine was 5.2 - how trustworthy that is one can debate for some time. Much more obvious is that it is not worth the 3.30 waking. 10 gms carb and massive calorie deficit from yesterday. Tempting to blame some of the chemicals being pumped into me but in truth going too low carb has done this from day 1. Doesn't help that so much of the LCHF playbook is about as appealing to me as deep fried Patagonian Warble flies with cow pats. Quite like tea though. Good day to remember Jeremiah 29.11 Have a good day folks.

I thank God for the Scriptural reminders you have been posting here.
I also agree with you about much of the LCHF playbook. It has little appeal for me, partly because most of my reading tells me it is not healthful.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is what we have that passes for cat yoghurt here...
There are others, but this is on Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/cat-yoghurt/s?k=cat+yoghurt

I did look at Amazon.com but all I can find is some that originates from Japan.

Don’t know is that is any help.

Thanks! I will check that out. I just joined Amazon Prime, thanks to a tip from a FB friend -- there is a discount for seniors on a low income -- so I am always looking for interesting items. I joined here:
amazon.com/qualify.
Maybe amazon.co.uk has the same sort of offer.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks! I will check that out. I just joined Amazon Prime, thanks to a tip from a FB friend -- there is a discount for seniors on a low income -- so I am always looking for interesting items. I joined here:
amazon.com/qualify.
Maybe amazon.co.uk has the same sort of offer.

Thanks Saskia
I will have a look.

Reactions: jjraak and SaskiaKC

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.9 on the sort of rainy morning we have needed for weeks, the kind that looks settled in for the day, the kind that makes me want to stay in and sleep.
And I have to go out. Doctor's appointment in 4 hours. Sigh.

ETA: clouds parting now, sun coming out. Yay!
Hope all goes well at the doctors...x

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope all goes well at the doctors...x

Thank you. It went OK. I enjoyed just being out, seeing other people, having a change of scenery. But they didn't do everything they'd planned because their online appointment form is confusing. I was supposed to have something called a "wellness check" but that was not a choice on the online form, so I booked a regular appointment. Turns out they do appointments in blocks of time -- doctor's appointment is 15 minutes, a wellness check is 30 minutes. So they just checked vitals and took blood. They also check only certain "panels" in blood work, so the doc had to put in a special request for a Vitamin D3 check. Apparently that's how Medicare works, and apparently it costs a lot more to check D3 levels than to check iron and cholesterol. Weird.

Anyway, this time the assistant made my next appointment online so hopefully she got it right! It will add 15 minutes to my January A1C appointment, which presumably will allow 15 minutes for the Medicare "wellness" check in addition to the regular blood work.

Whatever. I don't have to pay anything out of pocket, and I have no desire to waste Medicare's money. The doctor was shocked that I hadn't had a "senior" wellness check since turning 65 -- I was kinda shocked that she'd never said I needed one! I didn't even know such a thing existed. lol

Sorry -- I didn't mean to write a novel! I did enjoy a nice walk afterwards in the sunshine and 22-degree breeze. I walked all the way to McDonald's, telling myself that the exercise was so good for me it would counteract the food. On Sunday I enjoyed sitting out in the sunshine on our patio -- I'd forgotten how nice it is to sit outside in the sunshine. It's been so hot here, and the mosquitoes, et al., have been so hungry, that sitting outside has not been a good idea for months.

I think I am going to contact the local therapeutic riding barn and ask if I can get some therapy just coming and watching some of their lessons in exchange for being available to hold a horse, check a girth, latch a gate, shorten stirrups, etc.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. It went OK. I enjoyed just being out, seeing other people, having a change of scenery. But they didn't do everything they'd planned because their online appointment form is confusing. I was supposed to have something called a "wellness check" but that was not a choice on the online form, so I booked a regular appointment. Turns out they do appointments in blocks of time -- doctor's appointment is 15 minutes, a wellness check is 30 minutes. So they just checked vitals and took blood. They also check only certain "panels" in blood work, so the doc had to put in a special request for a Vitamin D3 check. Apparently that's how Medicare works, and apparently it costs a lot more to check D3 levels than to check iron and cholesterol. Weird.

Anyway, this time the assistant made my next appointment online so hopefully she got it right! It will add 15 minutes to my January A1C appointment, which presumably will allow 15 minutes for the Medicare "wellness" check in addition to the regular blood work.

Whatever. I don't have to pay anything out of pocket, and I have no desire to waste Medicare's money. The doctor was shocked that I hadn't had a "senior" wellness check since turning 65 -- I was kinda shocked that she'd never said I needed one! I didn't even know such a thing existed. lol

Sorry -- I didn't mean to write a novel! I did enjoy a nice walk afterwards in the sunshine and 22-degree breeze. I walked all the way to McDonald's, telling myself that the exercise was so good for me it would counteract the food. On Sunday I enjoyed sitting out in the sunshine on our patio -- I'd forgotten how nice it is to sit outside in the sunshine. It's been so hot here, and the mosquitoes, et al., have been so hungry, that sitting outside has not been a good idea for months.

I think I am going to contact the local therapeutic riding barn and ask if I can get some therapy just coming and watching some of their lessons in exchange for being available to hold a horse, check a girth, latch a gate, shorten stirrups, etc.
Hey that all sounds satisfactory and a plan going forward too. Glad you enjoyed the sunshine in good temperatures too. Autumn or Spring sun can be so much more pleasant than summer. What a great idea about the riding barn...that would be a lovely passtime and they would be very lucky to have your experience. So all in all a good day I would say. Bet the KC was all over you when you got back.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

What a great idea Saskia the therapeutic effect of horses is well known, they are wonderful creatures aren’t they? Did you use to ride? My eldest daughter had a horse and loved to ride, but I’ve never had the confidence to relax enough in the saddle. I loved watching though, and the smell of the stables.

Reactions: HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey that all sounds satisfactory and a plan going forward too. Glad you enjoyed the sunshine in good temperatures too. Autumn or Spring sun can be so much more pleasant than summer. What a great idea about the riding barn...that would be a lovely passtime and they would be very lucky to have your experience. So all in all a good day I would say. Bet the KC was all over you when you got back.

She has been ignoring me ever since I got back!

t09115.gif

But TBH I think it's my fault -- I was so stressed and preoccupied this morning that she got plenty of food but not a lot of cuddles.
t1802.gif

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a great idea Saskia the therapeutic effect of horses is well known, they are wonderful creatures aren’t they? Did you use to ride? My eldest daughter had a horse and loved to ride, but I’ve never had the confidence to relax enough in the saddle. I loved watching though, and the smell of the stables.

That is so cool that you love the smell of the stables. :) I do too -- and whenever I get out of the car at one, that first breath always takes me back to 1963 and my first lesson barn. I once had a non-horsey friend; we drove out to the barn (different lesson barn) after church one Sunday for me to sign up as a show volunteer -- i rolled the car windows down for her since she didn't want to get out of the car in her Sunday shoes -- she begged me to roll them right up back up because of the "horrible smell"!!!??? :D :D :D

Reactions: DJC3

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

What a day you have had but glad you enjoyed the walk and sunshine. Great idea to spend some time with horses, beautiful creatures. Of all the horses we owned two in particular were very special both mares, gentle and protective. When you acheive that bond between human and horse when they seem to anticipate your every move and thought it's a tremendous honour a relationship very different to that with a dog or cat, I feel greatfull that I have been able to experience it. Hope you can get some hands on and do some grooming and yes that horsey smell, good for the soul.

After this morning's Mountain Bike ride I was inspired to do some watercolour painting but Mrs MC had other ideas and we spent the afternoon walking around Shugborough Hall which is on our doorstep, Autumn is settling in and the late afternoon sun was glorious, this is Mrs MC walking through the gardens and trees and a toadstool and cyclist from this mornings ride.

IMG_2271.JPG

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

It sounds like you had a good day @SaskiaKC
I don't think any of us know half of what is available to us which we could make use of.
The local riding barn sounds like a really good idea.
I'm glad you enjoyed sitting in the sun today.

Reactions: DJC3

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a day you have had but glad you enjoyed the walk and sunshine. Great idea to spend some time with horses, beautiful creatures. Of all the horses we owned two in particular were very special both mares, gentle and protective. When you acheive that bond between human and horse when they seem to anticipate your every move and thought it's a tremendous honour a relationship very different to that with a dog or cat, I feel greatfull that I have been able to experience it. Hope you can get some hands on and do some grooming and yes that horsey smell, good for the soul.

After this morning's Mountain Bike ride I was inspired to do some watercolour painting but Mrs MC had other ideas and we spent the afternoon walking around Shugborough Hall which is on our doorstep, Autumn is settling in and the late afternoon sun was glorious, this is Mrs MC walking through the gardens and trees and a toadstool and cyclist from this mornings ride.

View attachment 36345

Lovely photos! I want to head up that leafy trail on a feathered cob. ...

Wonder who's been munching on that magic mushroom? :)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.5

Still dark out there.

Got an interesting day ahead...

Meeting friends I have not seen in over a year.

A year ago I was shutting everyone out of my life. It was to do with my cochlear implant not working properly and I couldn't cope. Anyway enough said on that.

Anyway, a text last night saying meet for a meal. It's in an unusual place...

Might let you in on that tomorrow!

But one of them is a nurse who advocates low fat high carbs for diabetes....

See if I am strong enough today to stand my ground with her. It is going to be obvious from my choice of food that I will be eating healthy fat and low carbs....

So all of you have a good assertive day today. I am not of the school of being quiet as a mouse, but I fight my corner, instead of saying yes sir no sir and thinking what an a*******

Which is the easy way of doing something...

Anyway have the best day you possibly can, and add a few helpings of 'this is going to be an amazing day' !!!

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was going to go out and ask about the flu jab price today, my health practice says I'm not entitled to a free one yet since I'm considered 'in remission'
Can that be right geefull?...you may be in remission but essentially when we reach that stage (I haven't yet) we are still diabetic...for goodness sake how short sighted some practices are.