Brexit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pablo1980

It has definitely caused me a lot of stress and even depression. I've even discussed this with my GP and she said I'm not the first one to have suggested that politics is behind our mental state. It's like I'm coming up to having surgery, and in this case I feel as though I'm going to have my balls cut off. I'll survive but life just won't be the same, ever, not in my life time. I have to avoid the news and newspapers to reduce the general unhappiness I feel whenever I get caught up in what's going on. Even watching the shenanigans of Donald Trump doesn't make feel any better these days. There was a time when his stupidity was so stupid it was laughable, now it's criminal and very sad.

My worry is that the people who will be the affected the worst will revolt and take it out on everyone else.

I hope everyone enjoys the rest of their weekend. Avoid the TV unless there's a good film on. "Mary Poppins" maybe? "Lion King" perhaps?

Are you people serious?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Are you people serious?
I'm always serious when it comes to blood sugar levels.
And I'm always up for a trip to the Netherlands.

netherlands flag silk.jpg

Last edited:

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
'United Kingdom'... Hardly!

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Are you people serious?
"You people"

Yes 'us'. 'We'.
All the diabetics in this forum who understand the risks.
There is lots of evidence that stress plays havoc with Blood Glucose control
And lots of evidence about the rise in stress, depression, etc. over the past couple of years - as people report to their GPs that they are worried, stressed, concerned, can't sleep, because of Brexit.

There are things to be concerned about, not least key Ministers stating yet again recently that they cannot guarantee we will not be affected by shortages of fresh foods (and therefore a knock on impact on all foods) and the Chief Govt Doctor stating yet again that they cannot guarantee we will get our medicines on time if we have a no deal (ie crash out).
I control my diabetes via a strict diet, do you really want me and others like me to have to start competing for scarce diabetic drugs instead?
As a former UK Trade (imports and exports) Statistician, I have made plans to offset shortages.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Are you people serious?

Of course not, we're just mucking about! If someone can't understand the potential knock on effects of the UK not having trade agreements with the countries that supply a lot of our food and most of the insulin which I think most people realise is a commodity required by a lot of diabetics, then thank god that they are not in charge. Oh ****, THEY ARE.
BTW have a good read of this:

https://assets.publishing.service.g...TrtDv5QOa4qPwxOWVTjRceXhxRqp1roEHRkmSAyNr9jgw

They've stalled for a best part of a year before releasing it and now our MPs are being given a couple of days to read and digest and then they vote on one of the most important bills to affect our lives in centuries. It's an excellent reason for people like us to be worried about what's happening in the UK. If you are not concerned that's fair enough, there's no compulsion to be concerned, I'll see you in the "bread" queue. Except I don't eat bread, so I won't.

edited for language by a moderator

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This thread started suitably non political and was actually about stress. I’d love a trip to the Netherlands (with or without a visa and different passport) to escape it all as much as the next person. I find myself screaming at the tv as much as anyone (everyone?) else.

I am NOT going to be drawn into political arguments about the relative, perceived or reported strengths and weaknesses of any point of view, no matter how reactionary any of them might be, nor explain or justify my opinions on this.

For me this is not the forum for it and will be a cause of ill feeling likely without any possibility of resolution (sound familiar!) But please don’t assume we all agree on all brexit issues just because we all live with diabetes, though we’re all probably equally affected by the stress of it all.

Reactions: EllieM and Guzzler

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This thread started suitably non political and was actually about stress. I’d love a trip to the Netherlands (with or without a visa and different passport) to escape it all as much as the next person. I find myself screaming at the tv as much as anyone (everyone?) else.

I am NOT going to be drawn into political arguments about the relative, perceived or reported strengths and weaknesses of any point of view, no matter how reactionary any of them might be, nor explain or justify my opinions on this.

For me this is not the forum for it and will be a cause of ill feeling likely without any possibility of resolution (sound familiar!) But please don’t assume we all agree on all brexit issues just because we all live with diabetes, though we’re all probably equally affected by the stress of it all.

Alas, @HSSS ,

The cause for concern regarding stress, thus elevated BGs could have been "job," "relationships," "wayward kids." "Ill health," Or "noisy neighbours.?" (Infact there can be many triggers.)
Personally, I feel short term bursts of stress is good. (Providing there is a resolution & "move on.") it's part of life's challenges.
Long term anxiety is unhealthy...

The title to the topic & concern in this case to the OP is the UK's departure from the EU.

Talking of noisy neighbours. I love Holland. Where else can I be allowed to do a gig at a metal festival in the middle of a housing estate..:cool:

I do have a concern on this subject. Though I also have the survival instinct of a cockroach too.. ;)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee , it gets better and better. Not only will my little village be famous for the large amount of very well controlled diabetics but we'll also do a metal festival in my garden!

Reactions: Robinredbreast

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well I like heavy Metal but I'm more into Steampunk now so maybe you could have a steampunk festival as well they are becoming quite popular.:)

Reactions: Jaylee

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder what my bgl would have been when the Cuban missile crisis was going full strength back in the 1960's, as I found that pretty stressful at the time.

Nothing has matched that since then...

I remember the Cuban missile crisis very well. I was about 9 at the time. A few hours to the deadline and everyone was so tense it was palpable. Family were glued to the TV. I of course were sent to bed in due course.

When I went to close the bedroom curtains, I was caught by the stillness of the night, we lived just off a main road, but there was noticeably very little traffic. The sky seemed quite dark yet there was a big harvest moon in the sky. I was lying in bed when I heard two bangs in quick succession - thought the war had started! Must have been a motorbike backfiring! Pretty sure I prayed that night. Next morning all ok and problem solved, but what a close shave.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I remember the Cuban missile crisis very well. I was about 9 at the time. A few hours to the deadline and everyone was so tense it was palpable. Family were glued to the TV. I of course were sent to bed in due course.

When I went to close the bedroom curtains, I was caught by the stillness of the night, we lived just off a main road, but there was noticeably very little traffic. The sky seemed quite dark yet there was a big harvest moon in the sky. I was lying in bed when I heard two bangs in quick succession - thought the war had started! Must have been a motorbike backfiring! Pretty sure I prayed that night. Next morning all ok and problem solved, but what a close shave.

Wow, that was a very close shave, now that it what I would call a very worrying and stressful situation :(

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I am not going to get stressed regarding Brexit, I refuse to, my life has had quite a lot of that over the years and a lot more, so, I am hoping (like other's) that we all get through this somewhat unsettling time, so we can move on and come out with our heads held up and a happier future, time will tell.
Yes, I am trying very hard to be positive :)
Now I am going to make a lovely cup of tea and use my brand new Hedgehog mug ....... chillin' :)

Reactions: Daphne917

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions

Yes I remember that to I was in secondary school and we were being told when the alarm sounds, yes when not if , to get under a desk or something and cover your heads not exactly reassuring.

Status
Not open for further replies.