What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I meant to post this a few weeks ago, but didn’t remember about it until I was thinking about tonight’s dinner. It’s a very low carb ‘pasta’ from Aldi. Doesn’t have the same taste or texture as white pasta - it’s more like wholemeal and you need quite a robust sauce with it.
IMG_1228.jpg
IMG_1229.jpg

Reactions: annabell1

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 I bought similar by World Cuisine on the recommendation of @HarryBeau though I find it a bit weak more like angel hair. Next time might try the fettucine they do.
Hope Cat’s mum is doing better, brave decision for best of reasons.
Today’s intake:
Breakfast: usual slice LivLife toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch: Corned Beef and large spoon cheese coleslaw
Supper: a type of Spanish chicken casserole with red pepper and chorizo cooked in tinned tomatoes with smoked paprika. Probably carby sauce but there are 4 portions so half will go in the freezer.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
At the diabetes clinic this morning. My Hba1c was 53 - down from 55 6 months ago. I showed her my food diary (food/drink/insulin/pills/meter readings all in there) and explained that I have been doing lchf for about 18 months but that my diet has been rather more drastic in the last few months. She didn't throw her hands up in horror - a nurse new to the practice - but I did say that I know I can't do it indefinitely even though it helps with the BG and with weight. Yes - I did say weight. I have lost about 9 lb in the last 6 months (actually in the last 3 weeks). However, she wants my BG to be higher?? She reckons that, at my age, my BG should be between 7 and 8, not in the 5s or 4s, which is what I am aiming at. She's also not happy with the amount of insulin I am taking - I can agree with that - and is suggesting taking less of the Lantus overnight and less HumilinS at each meal, but if my BG is too high in the evening I should take about 3 units of HumS without food. I had thought that would be a bad idea, but that's what she thinks.

She also seemed to indicate that Metformin damages kidneys. She reckons that with my low kidney readings I should have been taken off the Metformin. But my kidneys may be recovering, so she's leaving it for now.

I had to take Em with me this morning and she has won lots of new fans in the diabetes centre. She was also very helpful, insisting on pushing my wheelchair the 20 miles from the entrance to the diabetes centre (seems like 20 miles anyway) since Neil couldn't get a parking space anywhere near the hospital entrance and had to take the car about 1/4 mile away to park. It must have looked ludicrous, this smallish 7 year-old pushing her huge granny in a wheelchair. She got lots of approving glances from patients and staff. She's a gem really.

Anyway, this morning I had some crowdie and cream (plus tea) and this evening I will have a chicken leg (in the air fryer right now). Several cups of tea so far and more to have to get my quota in. I'm not about to change course on the diet just yet.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonderful sunny day - managed long walk and it helped my stress levels appreciating the autumn colours in the lovely light.
Breakfast one slice livlife toast with one slice of bacon and egg
Just coffee with cream whilst out walking
Dinner trout in lemon butter with cauliflower cheese and green beans cooked with spinach. Pudding lc lemon and lime mousse with yoghurt.
Have also been in discussion yesterday and today with restaurant going to on Thursday evening in Sheffield before we go to choral concert at Sheffield cathedral. As they do lots of ribs and bbq meat thought they’d be low carb but no breakdown of nutrition on their website - except for allergens and gluten free. I requested carb numbers but they said they never worked them out. So then asked them specific questions about the spice rub used on all their meat and discovered that it always has sugar - or for some brown sugar! - in with spices and can’t be left out but I could have plain chicken without any spices! Didn’t know it was essential to have sugar with your spices! clearly they also think brown sugar may be better! Just shows you can’t assume a spice rub is innocuous.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lovely to see you back @shelley262 I missed posting yesterday and there are a few pages to look back on already, I don’t think I’d contemplate 4 weeks worth!
Good news about the house move @ianpspurs and about the boiler @maglil55 . I’ve finally got round to sending your chicken crackling btw.
Got back from our spa break a short while ago and feeling very rested. Lovely to see little Den looking much perkier that when I left, although one of his meds has given him diarrhoea which is not a good look on a cream carpet.

Yesterday’s food was scrambled egg and 1/2 avocado at home for breakfast.
Lunch at the hotel a very nice antipasto plate
Dinner was stunning. Olives with a G&S in the bar first.
Appetiser of smoked salmon on a wasabi crispy thing. Glass of champagne.
Amuse bouche of onion veloute with a cheese croquet ( breadcrumb coating but it was tiny so I threw caution to the wind)
Starter of a huge Orkney scallop and I can’t remember what all the fancy bits and bobs around it were but they all tasted wonderful.
Main was turbot (cooked in sous vide) on celeriac with another scallop and champagne sauce.
Shared a cheeseboard for pud. Each cheese came with its own little square of matched jelly ( quince, fig etc) which I didn’t have. Also matched bread and crackers also sadly left on the plate. Each course with a glass of wine chosen to compliment it.
We were highly amused by the pretentious chap on the next table talking loudly to the waiter about the turbot which he pronounced turbOH
Great menu. I got the chicken scratchings thanks very much. I like them. Curiously addictive. I'm miles behind again so I'll add in my missing days as I go along.
Thursday 17 October. Bed 6.1 FBG 6.2.

Boys were in residence most of today so had to get out early to ensure I was well stocked with food. They kept me occupied most of the day.
B. TAG with ADOC.
L. 4 rollitos
D. Another of these Iceland tweaked dishes. The wild shrimp with tomato and chilli and I added mushroom, spinach, tomato and oomi noodles and a dash of cream. 2 bits G&B mint.
Making the most of the last days of the holidays!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Wonderful sunny day - managed long walk and it helped my stress levels appreciating the autumn colours in the lovely light.
Breakfast one slice livlife toast with one slice of bacon and egg
Just coffee with cream whilst out walking
Dinner trout in lemon butter with cauliflower cheese and green beans cooked with spinach. Pudding lc lemon and lime mousse with yoghurt.
Have also been in discussion yesterday and today with restaurant going to on Thursday evening in Sheffield before we go to choral concert at Sheffield cathedral. As they do lots of ribs and bbq meat thought they’d be low carb but no breakdown of nutrition on their website - except for allergens and gluten free. I requested carb numbers but they said they never worked them out. So then asked them specific questions about the spice rub used on all their meat and discovered that it always has sugar - or for some brown sugar! - in with spices and can’t be left out but I could have plain chicken without any spices! Didn’t know it was essential to have sugar with your spices! clearly they also think brown sugar may be better! Just shows you can’t assume a spice rub is innocuous.

Odd. I've seen lots of people on videos making spice rubs and only the American ones seem to use sugar. I know a lot of Asian cooking uses sugar with spices, but usually not in a rub. Maybe it was the American influence on ribs and bbq. I don't eat out but if I did, I'd prefer the plain meat without spices.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you know what was in it besides mushrooms, which I believe are pretty low carb? I am inspired by the thought of it to plan a soup with mushrooms, chicken stock and Slim rice.
@shelley262- I don't have problems with mushroom soup. Could it have been thickened with flour? I got Hubby to make me a batch of chicken and mushroom soup a few weeks back and I still have 3 individually bagged portions in the freezer. I put a fair bit of the chicken back in as well as a lot of finely chopped mushroom. Kenwood processors busy that day!

Friday 18 October bed 5.9 FBG 6.3. A day of going around in circles. DIL asked if I could help out with some washing as their machine is on the blink and the heavier stuff would likely send it over the edge. Thought it wise to get rid of the recycling and charity stuff out of my car first. So trip to the charity shop then textile recycling then general recycling. Picked up washing and even with my machine it was 5 loads. Washing wasn't the issue - it was big stuff and it was pouring outside. Thank goodness we had heat again. Also fitted in a quick shop as son wanted to go to Costco tomorrow.

B. TAG with ADOC.
L. Nothing
D. Pork, mozzarella and chorizo sausages, fried egg and cremated veggie chips! Raspberries, DGF warmed brownie and cream.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening all. Early start - tea at 4.15 weird rise after 2 hrs; had skinny brad toast and epoisses around 7.30 - .6 rise after that; lunchtime was 2 slices skinny bread toast with emmental slices melted on top, spread with smashed avocado then topped with poached eggs - .3 rise but liked the combo. Evening was mackerel salad - 5.1 before so not that bad - checking should be around half time. Food okay but can't be doing with 3.30 wake ups on the regular.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Glad the chicken scratching arrived @maglil55 and that you like them.

Tried a chaffle made in frying pan for breakfast - used the recipe @Rachox posted as it seemed quick and easiest. It was nice but put me in mind more of cheese on toast than waffle. Maybe because I used strong cheddar. Mr C liked it but covered his in ketchup. Yuk.
L: cheese and spinach omelette. Slice of buttered Dr Almond stollen.
D: Aldi black bean spaghetti with beef ragu. @PenguinMum I tried the world cuisine edemame pasta too, but this is cheaper and far fewer carbs. It tastes much the same. 5 HC buttons. Should have saved them to have with Bake Off.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
had skinny brad toast and epoisses around 7.30 - .6 rise after that;
Goodness, this Forum is educational! I had to Google Epoisses. And checked the carbs - only 1g carb in 100g, so it must have been the toast. Have you recently returned from France, or do you manage to source obscure foreign cheeses in the UK?

Reactions: ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: maglil55

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All bad news! I sometimes fantasy about eating in a carvery, but this has put me right off. Did you know, almost all bacon has added sugar (as indeed has most ham). Apparently it makes the bacon hold more water, so weigh heavier

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 I bought similar by World Cuisine on the recommendation of @HarryBeau though I find it a bit weak more like angel hair. Next time might try the fettucine they do.
Hope Cat’s mum is doing better, brave decision for best of reasons.
Today’s intake:
Breakfast: usual slice LivLife toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch: Corned Beef and large spoon cheese coleslaw
Supper: a type of Spanish chicken casserole with red pepper and chorizo cooked in tinned tomatoes with smoked paprika. Probably carby sauce but there are 4 portions so half will go in the freezer.

PenguinMum, I did this yesterday: https://recipes.lidl.co.uk/Recipes/Pork-and-chorizo-casserole

I've made it a couple of times now, and we enjoyed it. As I made it in the IP, I reduced the fluids significantly, due to the lach of evaporation when pressure cooking. I also lobbed in a few extra veg. I had mind in a shallow bowl, and MrB had his inthe same style bowl, but did have mash with his.

We also have some in the freezer.

Reactions: ziggy_w

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PenguinMum, I did this yesterday: https://recipes.lidl.co.uk/Recipes/Pork-and-chorizo-casserole

I've made it a couple of times now, and we enjoyed it. As I made it in the IP, I reduced the fluids significantly, due to the lach of evaporation when pressure cooking. I also lobbed in a few extra veg. I had mind in a shallow bowl, and MrB had his inthe same style bowl, but did have mash with his.

We also have some in the freezer.
Thank you looks great...mine was a bit more rustic and was a scratch dinner using what I had. :)

Reactions: ziggy_w

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At the diabetes clinic this morning. My Hba1c was 53 - down from 55 6 months ago. I showed her my food diary (food/drink/insulin/pills/meter readings all in there) and explained that I have been doing lchf for about 18 months but that my diet has been rather more drastic in the last few months. She didn't throw her hands up in horror - a nurse new to the practice - but I did say that I know I can't do it indefinitely even though it helps with the BG and with weight. Yes - I did say weight. I have lost about 9 lb in the last 6 months (actually in the last 3 weeks). However, she wants my BG to be higher?? She reckons that, at my age, my BG should be between 7 and 8, not in the 5s or 4s, which is what I am aiming at. She's also not happy with the amount of insulin I am taking - I can agree with that - and is suggesting taking less of the Lantus overnight and less HumilinS at each meal, but if my BG is too high in the evening I should take about 3 units of HumS without food. I had thought that would be a bad idea, but that's what she thinks.

She also seemed to indicate that Metformin damages kidneys. She reckons that with my low kidney readings I should have been taken off the Metformin. But my kidneys may be recovering, so she's leaving it for now.

I had to take Em with me this morning and she has won lots of new fans in the diabetes centre. She was also very helpful, insisting on pushing my wheelchair the 20 miles from the entrance to the diabetes centre (seems like 20 miles anyway) since Neil couldn't get a parking space anywhere near the hospital entrance and had to take the car about 1/4 mile away to park. It must have looked ludicrous, this smallish 7 year-old pushing her huge granny in a wheelchair. She got lots of approving glances from patients and staff. She's a gem really.

Anyway, this morning I had some crowdie and cream (plus tea) and this evening I will have a chicken leg (in the air fryer right now). Several cups of tea so far and more to have to get my quota in. I'm not about to change course on the diet just yet.

Ann - vis-a-vis your insulin; have you done any sort of carb counting course? If not, the BERTIE Online "course" could be informative to you. https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/home

It introduces itself as for T1, but as I understand it, it is a carb counting course for insulin users. It's completely free to sin up to, if you're interested.

Reactions: DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late back from swimming again (!) so Linner: followed by Greek yoghurt, coconut chia pudding and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Late afternoon: black coffee.
Dinner: salmon in peppercorn sauce with Mediterranean roasted veggies followed by chaffle with extra thick double cream and SF maple syrup.

@DJC3 I used mozzarella cheese in my Chaffles and added a 1/2 tsp of sweetener and there was no hint of cheese or eggs!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ann - vis-a-vis your insulin; have you done any sort of carb counting course? If not, the BERTIE Online "course" could be informative to you. https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/home

It introduces itself as for T1, but as I understand it, it is a carb counting course for insulin users. It's completely free to sin up to, if you're interested.

Thanks for that - I'll check it out.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late back from swimming again (!) so Linner: followed by Greek yoghurt, coconut chia pudding and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Late afternoon: black coffee.
Dinner: salmon in peppercorn sauce with Mediterranean roasted veggies followed by chaffle with extra thick double cream and SF maple syrup.

@DJC3 I used mozzarella cheese in my Chaffles and added a 1/2 tsp of sweetener and there was no hint of cheese or eggs!

I did think that mozzarella might make a better chaffle. Did you use the pre-grated stuff?
I must say that I liked it with cheddar, that lovely crispy cheese on toast smell and taste was great. But I’ll definitely give the mozzarella a go next time.
Btw @shelley262 I bought a waffle maker from Aldi today! (Having said I don’t have room for more gadgets, my kitchen will burst soon - this forum has a lot to answer for) It has interchangeable plates so Mr C can use it for toasted sandwiches too. He was very happy about that, we used to practically live on toasties when we were students.