Story - diagnosed Type 1 at 8 weeks pregnant

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi!

It’s been 12 months now and to mark the anniversary I wrote a piece on how I handled being diagnosed as Type 1 at 8 weeks pregnant. Hope you’ll take a read and it helps if you are in a similar (of unusual) situation. Feedback welcome!

https://medium.com/p/dealing-with-t...stributed&sk=55d26d955c2826a70d64552e5fed44b5

Thanks
Thanks Lucy. Great read and I am glad you had such a happy end! I also love Amsterdam and remember being pregnant with t1D there at age 31 though not in the dramatic fashion you did it! Did you work out what triggered the beta cell fail and how are things now? I have had 3 t1 pregnancies and they are a bit terrifying often because your medical team tell us to be perfect which is practically impossible! Hope you have good tech on your side too e.g. cgm/pump.

El_em

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Lucy. Great read and I am glad you had such a happy end! I also love Amsterdam and remember being pregnant with t1D there at age 31 though not in the dramatic fashion you did it! Did you work out what triggered the beta cell fail and how are things now? I have had 3 t1 pregnancies and they are a bit terrifying often because your medical team tell us to be perfect which is practically impossible! Hope you have good tech on your side too e.g. cgm/pump.
Thanks! I still don't know exactly what triggered the beta cell fail, the doctors don't think it was the pregnancy - I'd been really ill a couple of months previously with a virus and they suggested that could have been it. I am very grateful to the medical team for their intense help, but at the same time they put the fear of god in me! I wanted to write something like this because at the time I was desperate to find someone who'd been in the same situation who could tell me things worked out ok for them, and to give me some tips on coping - really hope it can help somebody else! No pump yet but have the Dexcom G6 which has been a lifesaver (literally!) especially whilst breastfeeding too.

Reactions: NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks! I still don't know exactly what triggered the beta cell fail, the doctors don't think it was the pregnancy - I'd been really ill a couple of months previously with a virus and they suggested that could have been it. I am very grateful to the medical team for their intense help, but at the same time they put the fear of god in me! I wanted to write something like this because at the time I was desperate to find someone who'd been in the same situation who could tell me things worked out ok for them, and to give me some tips on coping - really hope it can help somebody else! No pump yet but have the Dexcom G6 which has been a lifesaver (literally!) especially whilst breastfeeding too.
Glad that you are looking after yourself now that your baby is here and probably unaware of your need for sleep, time to test and regular meals!