Question on fasting glucose

newbie2019

Hi everyone. I was diagnosed with Type 2 last month, and since then I have drastically reduced my carbs consumption. I have also been regularly testing at home. While it is clear that the post-meal readings pretty much depend on what I eat, it is unclear how to get the fasting glucose in better control. Currently, my fasting glucose fluctuates between 5.7 mmol/L to 6.7 mmol/L. My fasting level the day I was diagnosed was 8.7 mmol/L (from the lab test), so it is certainly an improvement. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Good morning, well done on significant drops already. If you could detail, what you eat, when, any medication and exercise routine.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on your improvements so far and getting a blood sugar meter. You are already learning about the impact of different food on you. The higher than desired readings first thing is common amongst newly diagnosed type 2s, but don’t worry it is often the last reading to come down to normal.

newbie2019

Many thanks for your replies, @Mbaker and @Rachox. I usually have some oats (equivalent of about 10-12 gms of carbs) with some bluberries, nuts, and yogurt for breakfast; generally salads for lunch; some brown rice/two chapathis/cauliflower rice with vegetables for dinner. I also have a couple of apples or pears everyday. This is in contrast to my earlier diet where I would have two huge toasts with peanut butter, some sweets after lunch, and white rice or pasta for dinner everyday (!). I run 3-4 times a week, covering about 2.5 kms each time. Also, I do not take any medication. Thanks!

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your diet has certainly improved, however there are still some carb heavy food there, such as oats, rice, chapatis, apples and pears. These are all foods a lot of us low carbers don’t eat at all, so there is room to reduce or eliminate them if you want to see lower numbers still.

newbie2019

Your diet has certainly improved, however there are still some carb heavy food there, such as oats, rice, chapatis, apples and pears. These are all foods a lot of us low carbers don’t eat at all, so there is room to reduce or eliminate them if you want to see lower numbers still.
Thanks very much. I have been eating those foods in very moderate quantities, but will try to cut down further. I am a vegetarian, and have been dependent on carbs for a long time. I have been regularly consuming stuff like tofu, tempeh, eggs, etc, but have been unable to switch to a near carb-free diet. I was encouraged to have apples and pears, but avoid more sugar-containing fruits.

I had one more question: is coffee (without sugar, of course) good? I have seen conflicting news on how it affects the blood sugar levels. Thanks again!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had one more question: is coffee (without sugar, of course) good? I have seen conflicting news on how it affects the blood sugar levels.

I have no problem with coffee black or with cream, no sugar or sweetener. Some people say the caffeine content affects them, but the best way to know for sure for yourself is to test

GGPFC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I switched from porridge for brekkie to bacon and egg - know that's no good for you as a veggie but it made a huge difference, if you eat eggs an omelette can be a good choice. Greek yoghurt (full fat) with a few berries doesn't mess up my readings either. I'm keeping a food diary so I can see what triggers the spikes.

Reactions: Mbaker

newbie2019

I switched from porridge for brekkie to bacon and egg - know that's no good for you as a veggie but it made a huge difference, if you eat eggs an omelette can be a good choice. Greek yoghurt (full fat) with a few berries doesn't mess up my readings either. I'm keeping a food diary so I can see what triggers the spikes.
Thank you. I am exploring options to replace porridge with something else. This (omelette) is helpful.