Lantus vs tresiba

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
hello all! Hope you all are well and had a great holiday!

Insurance had switched me from lantus to Tresiba. Reading about Tresiba it sounds to be more powerful and much longer lasting. It also says it takes 4-6 days for the full effect. Some people say thier sugars are not steady. I was taking 4 units of lantus and will continue that dose with Tresiba until I find differently. Lantus never lasted until morning. I’d get a sharp spike after 3 am and need a bolus correction.

So my question is ,
How do you think Tresiba compares to lantus or levimere?
Is it harder to control?
Do you need less bolus for food?
Any side effects? I hear edema and weight gain are very common.
Any nuances I should know about?

I was used to lantus being gone well before I woke up and just relied on humalog during the day.

I’m not sure if my diet matters but I eat beef, salt, seltzer and wine only. Nothing else. This has improved my health greatly but it’s a bit harder to control bs.

Thanks so much for any and all advice and comments.

K

Knikki

Hello @Kristin251 I moved from Lantus to Tresiba a few months ago, mainly because like a lot of people I was finding that Lantus was more 15-18 hours instead of 24.

Tresiba has a much flatter profile, which suits me as a back ground insulin and I have found that any dose changes I make do take something like 3-5 days to take effect, because it has a 72 hour window of effect.

I found that once I settled on a dose then control was ok, but I did find that taking it of a night time pushed my levels way low, so changed to first thing in the morning. But that's just me, you are on a lower dose so will have to find what works for you.

Good luck.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Kristin251 I moved from Lantus to Tresiba a few months ago, mainly because like a lot of people I was finding that Lantus was more 15-18 hours instead of 24.

Tresiba has a much flatter profile, which suits me as a back ground insulin and I have found that any dose changes I make do take something like 3-5 days to take effect, because it has a 72 hour window of effect.

I found that once I settled on a dose then control was ok, but I did find that taking it of a night time pushed my levels way low, so changed to first thing in the morning. But that's just me, you are on a lower dose so will have to find what works for you.

Good luck.
Thank you SO much for replying. I read reviews online but we know how those go...
I took it last night as my second dose and see changes today already. I was taking 4 lantus but was waking up much higher than I like. 5 units and I’d hypo.
So I started Tresiba with 4 but I think to be safe I’ll vack down to 3 and see.
With only 4 units at 10 pm of lantus I think it’s was well gone before I woke up and I got no daytime help. I had to inject a half unit humalog every two hours to stop the rise. I’m hoping Tresiba will help during the day. My fasting was much better this morning and I actually dropped a little after breakfast. That never happened with lantus. So I’ll play it safe and monitor even more often until I find out how I respond.
If you take it during the day do you go low at all?
Did you find you need less basal?

Reactions: Knikki

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you SO much for replying. I read reviews online but we know how those go...
I took it last night as my second dose and see changes today already. I was taking 4 lantus but was waking up much higher than I like. 5 units and I’d hypo.
So I started Tresiba with 4 but I think to be safe I’ll vack down to 3 and see.
With only 4 units at 10 pm of lantus I think it’s was well gone before I woke up and I got no daytime help. I had to inject a half unit humalog every two hours to stop the rise. I’m hoping Tresiba will help during the day. My fasting was much better this morning and I actually dropped a little after breakfast. That never happened with lantus. So I’ll play it safe and monitor even more often until I find out how I respond.

Good luck.
Thank you so much again

K

Knikki

I usually run low anyway, it is just the way I like to work this wonderful condition, but I find it easier to manage during the day because I have a Libre so I can catch any potential hypo or hypers that may develop.

Less basal? No not for me, but others on here who use Tresiba have reduced the amount they used. After a few weeks of trying different doses I eventually pushed mine up by, I think, 1 unit.

But like I said earlier I use way more than you do being full blown T1 :)

Like most things it is trial and error, if you make any changes to your Tresiba dose just be aware that it might take a couple of days before you see any effect :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually run low anyway, it is just the way I like to work this wonderful condition, but I find it easier to manage during the day because I have a Libre so I can catch any potential hypo or hypers that may develop.

Less basal? No not for me, but others on here who use Tresiba have reduced the amount they used. After a few weeks of trying different doses I eventually pushed mine up by, I think, 1 unit.

But like I said earlier I use way more than you do being full blown T1 :)

Like most things it is trial and error, if you make any changes to your Tresiba dose just be aware that it might take a couple of days before you see any effect :)
I am full blown type 1 as well. No insulin left.
I appreciate you taking the time. Changing insulin is scary. They originally switched me to basaGlar and it was like water. Did nothing at all.

I too like to run lower bs. My bingo number is 85. Last 2 A1C s were 4.7 and 4.8. But I’m blousing left right and sideways. Hoping Tresiba will help through the day.

Do you think, since I eat zero carbs other then wine that it might make a difference in dose? I just eat fatty beef.
I think I’ll drop to 3 units tonight. I’d rather not fight hypos for days.
So when you switched to day bolus it was better because you had a libre and you can catch it ? I’ve been testing in the middle of the night for awhile as lantus required a bolus then. So no biggy.
Last question...do you see a peak? Or is it pretty consistent?

Thanks again. It’s makomg me feel more comfortable.

K

Knikki

Oh sorry @Kristin251 did not realise you were a Type 1 your status says LADA - Expert :)

TBH I'm not sure if wine has any carbs :) but I'm afraid I can't help you on that because for me anything in on the menu, carbs, fats, proteins etc and have weakness for chocolate, sweet tooth diabetic is me :hilarious:

So far Tresiba holds level for me, the only peaks I see is when I have eaten something that has a slow digest, carb release like curry.

When I first changed from Lantus to Tresba I was advised "you should drop your dose by 2 units" which I did but I found that made me run uncomfortably high, for me anyway, so slowly I pushed the dose back up, which at last check my Hb1ac was 5.7% so not to bad :)

I can't advise on the amount of insulin your dropping, just take care and look after yourself.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh sorry @Kristin251 did not realise you were a Type 1 your status says LADA - Expert :)

TBH I'm not sure if wine has any carbs :) but I'm afraid I can't help you on that because for me anything in on the menu, carbs, fats, proteins etc and have weakness for chocolate, sweet tooth diabetic is me :hilarious:

So far Tresiba holds level for me, the only peaks I see is when I have eaten something that has a slow digest, carb release like curry.

When I first changed from Lantus to Tresba I was advised "you should drop your dose by 2 units" which I did but I found that made me run uncomfortably high, for me anyway, so slowly I pushed the dose back up, which at last check my Hb1ac was 5.7% so not to bad :)

I can't advise on the amount of insulin your dropping, just take care and look after yourself.
Thank you again. I think the fatty beef I eat changes the game but I feel so much better without any carbs or fiber. Allergies cleared up 95%, all aches, pains and bloating gone. Numerous other benefits so I’m staying with it. I’ll figure it out. I always do. I guess I’d just not like to stick myself so often during the day. Fasting wasn’t so good today but it’s only been 3 doses and I did reduce it. I wonder how splitting my doses would work? I might try that. Like 3 before bed and 1 in the morning.
One last.... do you know the time it takes affect? I’ve seen everything between 4-8 hours. This might help me decide to split or not. Then I think I’m done with my questions lol. You’ve been a big help. I appreciate it!

K

Knikki

@Kristin251 Tresiba is classed as an "ultra long" insulin which should an effect of up to 42 hours an is designed as a "once a day" insulin.

It is one of reasons I wanted to change from Lantus because I was split dosing because I just wanted a background insulin to keep a lid on things. It does work most of the time and I like the way it works with Apidra the fast acting I now use.

Sometimes things do wrong and have woken up on a 24.5 but fortunately that has only happened once, most of the time it keeps me lower than 10 (that's mmol/ml UK measure) which works for me.

I am really not sure how "split dosing" would work as the insulin is just not designed to be like that.

Others that I know who use Tresiba only inject once a day, but your the only T1D I know of who is on small doses, I mean I inject 23 units a day of it.

Sorry I can't be more helpful than that, it's just outside my knowledge base. :)

What ever you do or decide to do take care and take things easy as, already said, Tresiba can take a couple of days to work into your system.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kristin251 Tresiba is classed as an "ultra long" insulin which should an effect of up to 42 hours an is designed as a "once a day" insulin.

It is one of reasons I wanted to change from Lantus because I was split dosing because I just wanted a background insulin to keep a lid on things. It does work most of the time and I like the way it works with Apidra the fast acting I now use.

Sometimes things do wrong and have woken up on a 24.5 but fortunately that has only happened once, most of the time it keeps me lower than 10 (that's mmol/ml UK measure) which works for me.

I am really not sure how "split dosing" would work as the insulin is just not designed to be like that.

Others that I know who use Tresiba only inject once a day, but your the only T1D I know of who is on small doses, I mean I inject 23 units a day of it.

Sorry I can't be more helpful than that, it's just outside my knowledge base. :)

What ever you do or decide to do take care and take things easy as, already said, Tresiba can take a couple of days to work into your system.
Awesome. Again. Thank you. I’ll just play around for now. Not much else I can do :) you’ve given me comfort. Thanks for sharing your experience!

LRD

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the information here. Someone wanted to try me on Tresiba, but I thought it was for type 2 only and refused to do so. I also wanted my endo to confirm it. I am a LADA and also insulin dependent. I think I will ask my endo for it as I hear it is only once a week. Thanks again.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the information here. Someone wanted to try me on Tresiba, but I thought it was for type 2 only and refused to do so. I also wanted my endo to confirm it. I am a LADA and also insulin dependent. I think I will ask my endo for it as I hear it is only once a week. Thanks again.
It's definitely for type 1 and you need to take it daily.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s once a day but supposed to last 24 hours but if I miss a dose I’m sky high. I rebelled at first but I love tresiba over Lantus. Much smoother. The only problem is it can take days to adjust of you take too much or too little. So adjustment period is about three days to take effect one way or another

Important to note...one unit can make a 30-50 difference one way or another

Reactions: Juicyj

Bwood1

hello all! Hope you all are well and had a great holiday!

Insurance had switched me from lantus to Tresiba. Reading about Tresiba it sounds to be more powerful and much longer lasting. It also says it takes 4-6 days for the full effect. Some people say thier sugars are not steady. I was taking 4 units of lantus and will continue that dose with Tresiba until I find differently. Lantus never lasted until morning. I’d get a sharp spike after 3 am and need a bolus correction.

So my question is ,
How do you think Tresiba compares to lantus or levimere?
Is it harder to control?
Do you need less bolus for food?
Any side effects? I hear edema and weight gain are very common.
Any nuances I should know about?

I was used to lantus being gone well before I woke up and just relied on humalog during the day.

I’m not sure if my diet matters but I eat beef, salt, seltzer and wine only. Nothing else. This has improved my health greatly but it’s a bit harder to control bs.

Thanks so much for any and all advice and comments.
Tresiba All the way.