Chaffle makers?

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last week I dived into the chaffle world and bought a machine in Amazon for £18. It's very compact which I like. I made the attached - a cheese slice then a filling. They were lovely but a bit cheesy for breakfast. So I will be trying coconut flour and some food flavourings to get a more "sweet" taste.

Attachments

• Chaffles.jpg
    Chaffles.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 322

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last week I dived into the chaffle world and bought a machine in Amazon for £18. It's very compact which I like. I made the attached - a cheese slice then a filling. They were lovely but a bit cheesy for breakfast. So I will be trying coconut flour and some food flavourings to get a more "sweet" taste.

mozarella is nicely mild tasting for the sweet chaffles. But i think I prefer the savory ones, the cheesier the better.
I want to try the pizza ones next.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
mozarella is nicely mild tasting for the sweet chaffles. But i think I prefer the savory ones, the cheesier the better.
I want to try the pizza ones next.
I’m preferring cheddar, onion salt and mixed herb ones. The mozzarella and soft cheese ones taste very eggy to me and seem to take a lot longer to cook. Adding almond flour helps make the texture more waffle like and less omelette like.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I made two Chaffles yesterday and ate one. What’s the best way to reheat the leftover one today?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Toaster maybe? Think a microwave would make it soggy.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I made two Chaffles yesterday and ate one. What’s the best way to reheat the leftover one today?

toaster i think.

although i can’t imagine one lasting long enough to go cold, in this house.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
toaster i think.

although i can’t imagine one lasting long enough to go cold, in this house.

I have read on Facebook somewhere (that horrid place drags you in......) that some folks batch make them, store then in sealed boxes, then revive them as required.

My reaction was to wonder how much time it actually saved, versus making then in real-time.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I went for the toaster option to reheat my left over chaffle. And who’d have thought it? My toaster actually has a ‘reheat’ option on it. Just goes to show how long it is since I took a good look at it! :joyful::hilarious:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some of the recipies I have seen are too large for me to taste as a one off. I am busy getting ready for a couple of weeks away from next Saturday, but on return I will be doing some serious experimentations!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My savoury ones with cheddar, onion salt, mixed herbs and some almond flour are working well. Very filling with a slice or two of bacon and a fried egg on top.

Can’t get a decent soft cheese or mozzarella one to actually firm up let alone taste good enough to bother trying many more times.

Nb the ALDI 3 in 1 makes really thick deep waffles!

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Yes, this is good advice. I recall reading somewhere here a while ago someone complaining they had tried one of these recipes and it just came out like an omelette. If that's the case, I already have a pan that is perfect for making omelettes. I had been wondering about trying to make a substitute for a jam omelette using Erythritol. It is an irony of fate that before being obliged to eat VLC I never used sugar, but now I do rather crave sugar substitutes.
A substitute for jam omlettes without sugar - separate the eggs and whip the whites as if you were making meringue. Once that's ready give the yolks a bit of a whip then combine with the whites be folding in with a large metal spoon. Then use your combined mixture to the make the omlette, as its begining to set in the pan, put in whatever berries you have to hand so that they start to warm through. When set fold in half and serve, you could grill the top of the omlette if you want it cooked more. Just like magic the berries and the meringue of the whites make it taste sweeter. I frequently have this if I'm craving something sweet. Amazingly if you put tomato slices and cheese on top and grill it tastes savoury. Enjoy!

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tried some yesterday with coconut flour and they worked well. Had a nice crunch compared to the egg/cheese ones.

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you share your recipe please.
It was just one egg, a tablespoon of coconut flour and a little shredded mild cheese. I just mixed it and poured it in.

Tomorrow I'm leaving out the cheese and adding vanilla or lemon flavour....

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Just ordered a waffle maker three in one decided I needed one. My beloved cleared out a kitchen cupboard this evening as we could actually be moving at last, fingers crossed. What did he pull out of the cupboard but a big grill thing with three different sets of grills. In my defence I didn't put it in there six years ago and I don't use that cupboard as I can't get to it. Yet another thing to go on eBay. It's much bigger than the new one I've ordered so I think it must have been my Mum's she and my Brother liked toasted sandwiches despite being type 2 she was the generation of bread or carbohydrates at every meal. Actually as I lost my Brother in 2003 and he'd been in a nursing home since 1995 that actually makes it a pretty ancient machine, best it gets recycled.:meh:

Last edited:

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am seeing lots of mention of chaffles here. No shortage of recipes & instructions online, but do I really need a special waffle maker, or would a frying pan do? If the former, recommendations for good ones would be welcome.
Hi Alexandra100
Like you I'm intrigued by all the posts about chaffles, and would love to have a go at making them. As you say the Dash waffle maker seems to be the best, but when I look on line at Amazon they don't have them in stock. Did you purchase one? If so, which one did you choose, and are you happy with it?

Best wishes

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Alexandra100
Like you I'm intrigued by all the posts about chaffles, and would love to have a go at making them. As you say the Dash waffle maker seems to be the best, but when I look on line at Amazon they don't have them in stock. Did you purchase one? If so, which one did you choose, and are you happy with it?

Best wishes
Sorry, this project has gone on the back burner for now, perhaps forever, due to lack of time and motivation. Good luck with it!