Not open for further replies.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As an op-ed point, highlighting the POTENTIAL of harm it could cause is handy for those with little knowledge.
I don't think there is anyone, however little knowledge they may have, who thinks the stuff on GBBO is healthy.

Or did you mean the potential harm from Pauls comment?

snowleopard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's an entertainment show, not a medical documentary. Get over yourselves guys.

Reactions: dozzy

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's an entertainment show, not a medical documentary. Get over yourselves guys.
It is hard to get over ourselves when we Type 2's are getting flak all the time for 'causing it ourselves by our greed' and 'fatties get type 2's, it our fault' to name just a few comments in general circulation on a daily basis. Maybe if we didnt get blamed, wrongly, for having a faulty insulin response, including by prominent people, we would get over ourselves. Some people have no idea what we type 2 diabetics have to deal with in terms of bullying, name calling, and false shaming.

Edited by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LindiePops

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All, a number of posts have been deleted because they were creating an ‘us v them’ dynamic on the thread.

The comment which is the subject of the OP has obviously caused offence to both type 1s and type 2s.

Please remember that there are many misconceptions about diabetes of any type and it is not appropriate for any of these to be reinforced on this forum.

If you are not one of those feeling offended by the comment, please do not belittle the feelings of those who have been affected by it.

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am not shocked by anything Paul Hollywood may say as I find him a most unprepossessing man and one of my least favorite people on TV.
I find both him and Greg Wallace to be the most irritating and patronising people on TV.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I still maintain we should give both (all) types completely different names that don’t even mention the word “diabetes” - medical terminology is constantly updating as new knowledge is gained. Completely different diseases with completely different mechanisms that happen to share some symptoms if untreated should have distinct names. Confusion is endemic - my close friend who is type two was told that if he didn’t get to grips with his levels, that he would become type one because he’d need to inject insulin. By his DN.

One is a metabolic issue; the other organ failure. We need to reflect this.

Reactions: jjraak

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t like Greg Wallace or Paul Hollywood. Nothing to do with diabetes.
If they come on the telly I turn off or over.
It’s simple.
It’s effective.
It’s satisfying.

Reactions: Glucobabu

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I don’t like Greg Wallace or Paul Hollywood. Nothing to do with diabetes.
If they come on the telly I turn off or over.
It’s simple.
It’s effective.
It’s satisfying.
But then again you or I and those here are not likely to be influenced by his attitude.

Ronnie_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone else shocked at Paul Hollywoods 'diabetes on a plate' comment when discussing a dessert on tonight's episode of GBBO? I feel like this kind of stuff just reinforces uneducated and frankly stupid ideas and questions about diabetes, for example, 'did you get it cos you eat too much cake?' and my personal favourite, 'if you ate this Mars bar, would you die?'

Perhaps I'm just being an over sensitive type 1, interested to see what others thought.
I cease to be shocked by ignorant comments. What I am truly shocked and disgusted by is the fact that The Great British Bake Off is aired at all. With a nation so ill and reliant on so many dangerous prescription meds and high streets (and everywhere really) full of countless carb and sugar laden fast food outlets, why are we further encouraging cake. The spin offs being the breast cancer coffee morning.... how contradictory is that!

Reactions: jjraak
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Paul Hollywood sorry for 'thoughtless' diabetes joke on Bake Off
The man has apologised with his off the cuff remark, he said it was thoughtless and he even mentioned family members, his mum and granddad, who have, or have had, diabetes.
No mention of a type was said either.
So, time to move on.

Reactions: porl69

LMJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Varied
I laughed. I get very steamed up about simplistic and ignorant remarks from people who are meant to be advising me, but I don't care what Paul Hollywood thinks! I was more upset about the diabetic couple on Eat Well For Less who were harangued by the presenters and made to feel guilty about their poor food choices, because they claim to speak with some kind of authority.
I was totally shocked by the cavalier attitude of the couple on eat well for less and I have to say that Greg Wallace's face was an absolute jaw dropping picture when he learned their diagnosis. For me this particular programme was an amazing turnaround into positivity from complacency.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This thread has now been closed as requests to respect the views and feelings of others continued to be ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.