New pod user question

MrNigel

Hi. I’ve very recently started to use an omnipod. The nigh before I commenced I injected my last dose of Trisiba. It appears that as soon as I commenced on my pod 12 hours later it to started to deliver a basal dose as well. Leaving me fighting of hypos for another 24 hours. Has anyone else experienced this? I’m thinking maybe I should have been informed not to inject my last basal dose the night before commencing the pod?

MrNigel

I’ve been trying to find prescribing guidelines for this as it wasn’t the best introduction to using a pump. I thought that trisiba lasted for 36 hours so should have been fine and not run high till after that ran out which would have been at the same time I commenced on my pump? That’s if I’d omitted my last dose.
Thank you for your response though. Guess the pod needs some tweeking for a few weeks until I get it right?

ljmercer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello new podder :)

I've been on the Omnipod now for 6 and a half years and honestly, I love it!

It does take some getting used to. The advice when I went on the pump was not to give your long acting insulin the day/night before as you'll have double the basal in your system, but just to monitor your sugars every few hours to make sure you're not rising.

Your basal rates and even your bolus rates will need adjusting over the next few weeks and months. It's a completely different way of managing your diabetes and your body reacts differently to it. I hope you don't have too many problems in the meantime!

Humairakausar

Hello new podder :)

I've been on the Omnipod now for 6 and a half years and honestly, I love it!

It does take some getting used to. The advice when I went on the pump was not to give your long acting insulin the day/night before as you'll have double the basal in your system, but just to monitor your sugars every few hours to make sure you're not rising.

Your basal rates and even your bolus rates will need adjusting over the next few weeks and months. It's a completely different way of managing your diabetes and your body reacts differently to it. I hope you don't have too many problems in the meantime!
Hi is it usual to go highs even after using third pod?