What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I woke to 6.0 no more to say about that.
@PenguinMum hugs for your higher than usual fbg I wonder if it’s the fallout from your eye appointment still causing issues.
@karen8967 I hope you’re feeling ok by now, horrible for you.
@johnpol so sorry to hear of your difficulties too, but very pleased to see you posting again.
@gennepher the pet cemetery and lunch sounded like a lovely relaxing day. I didn’t know such places really existed.
@dunelm I had to read out your post about the Pringles invention to my family- leftover slurry from a potato peeling factory sounds gross but a brilliant invention. I think it’s put them all off Pringles ( thank goodness)
@Debandez how lovely that they went to so much trouble for you, and well done you for carrying it off with such aplomb.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Update from my afternoon tea:

Here's my social media post:

TODAY BLEW ME AWAY FOR THE FOLLOWING REASONS

Eric got a lovely voucher for afternoon tea for 2 here at Stepping Stones in Garstang for his Christmas present from his boss (it's amazing) . Anne-Marie has finished for half term so invited her and Willow .my idea was that she could eat my half of all 3 tiers and we could have some quality time. So phoned up restaurant to book. Afternoon tea for 2 (amma and eric) and 1 diabetic. 'Don't worry chef will sort something' I expected a salad which I would have been more than happy with. What happened when I arrived almost moved me to tears. The lady (married to the owner, her words) greeted me and showed us to our table overlooking the most gorgeous riverside, very picturesque.

***She had gone online to get diabetic recipes so she could mirror an afternoon tea for me!!!!!***

As many diabetic websites advocate low fat, wholemeal bread and fruit this is what she put together. She had bought wholemeal bread for sandwiches, low fat spread, and filled them with egg and low fat mayo, tuna, ham and low fat cheese. Spinach quiche, humus and chili crisps, mixed fruit involving lots of grapes with Greek yoghurt (low fat). Cakes of many varieties including avocado and banana, apple pie, scone, chocolate cake, lemon drizzle cake, walnut cake. All made with sweetener, erythritol! And low fat. She had done all this for one afternoon tea....for me!!! Now I dont do low fat as loaded with sugar, same with grapes, bananas, bread. I skipped the bread and shared mine out with my chips, barmcake and onion rings from my burger but because of all the trouble she went to I just had to sample each dessert. I asked for cream to go with them! And more when that ran out They were all absolutely delicious. You could not tell sweetener was involved or low fat for that matter and my blood sugars are loving it too!!! So if anyone is looking for somewhere beautiful to sit and enjoy an afternoon tea or a nice meal or just glass of wine looking out at lovely country views look no further. This place is highly recommended.

Well impressed by that lady, & the establishment, debs.

so i took a little look online for the link, and guess who was at the top of tripadvisors postings...:hilarious:
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Resta...arstang_Wyre_District_Lancashire_England.html

Sounds marvelous..good on them for doing SO much for you.
but well done you too, for making sure they got recognised to boot.:)
"Stepping stones" of garstang..too far for me, but what a great sounding place, many others could take note.

https://restaurantgarstang.co.uk/
restaurantgarstang.seesite.biz_--_834820511.jpg

Winner, winner, cream tea dinner..so to speak.;)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@SaskiaKC it was great meeting up with our friends after all that time. The Olde Windmill was a nice place to meet although the food portions were absolutely huge. My Labradors were very happy that I couldn't eat all my chicken.

@DJC3 it is really good to know that there is a possibility that husband's problem will be sorted although he thinks the MRI won't take place until after Christmas.

Today I did a huge amount of admin - so a really good day. I think I forgot to post my 5.8 this morning.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SaskiaKC it was great meeting up with our friends after all that time. The Olde Windmill was a nice place to meet although the food portions were absolutely huge. My Labradors were very happy that I couldn't eat all my chicken.

@DJC3 it is really good to know that there is a possibility that husband's problem will be sorted although he thinks the MRI won't take place until after Christmas.

Today I did a huge amount of admin - so a really good day. I think I forgot to post my 5.8 this morning.

Winner for the humans, winner winner chicken dinner for the Labradors. :)

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning, Friday again, how quickly they seem to come around. 5.3 for me at 5 am.

Granddaughter day with daughter and son in law for dinner tonight, a day of childish fun followed by music after tonight's meal.

Keep dry, it's threatening rain. Make the most of your Friday.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
F g 6.7

The app threatens horrendous rain today and tomorrow.

Nah! It’s not going to rain on my garden today and I have put an order in for the sun to come out.

Be positive!!!!

Have a good brilliant weekend :)

This is what my weather app threatens...
And that is just the rain in one hour, never mind the rest of the hourly rain promises...

CD100578-7BC6-49F4-A866-8A6D663B9CD4.jpeg

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning folks. @trick60 realistically, you have had a great run of numbers so the dice had to reassert itself eventually to maintain a scintilla of self respect. @Muddy Cyclist pleased for you with the more pleasing fbg and the day ahead sounds idyllic - one for the ages. @gennepher your personal weather forecast sounds like something from ABdP Johnson Esq - the collision with reality may be just as unfortunate. My bg at 5.09 was 5.4 no idea what it was about 1.5 hrs earlier on waking. Grateful it is not higher, unimpressed with the actual level. Like many here, I suspect, behind that number lies the work, self denial, research and frequent disappointment of 2 people. We post and discuss our journey but there is a hidden support network enmeshed in this lifestyle. I thank God for my wife and pay proper tribute to your partners who have obviously had their lives impacted however much they downplay the effect. You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.6 this morning. I haven’t looked out of the window yet @gennepher but I expect it’ll rain here too. This village appears to have its own little microclimate: it can be glorious sunshine all day in Newquay just a few miles away and deluging here. Hope you can get into your garden for a bit.
Toady I have an electrician coming round to try and figure out why the kitchen lights start to go out if they’ve been left on more than a couple of hours. I really should get up and take Dennis out soon before he arrives.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.6 this morning. I haven’t looked out of the window yet @gennepher but I expect it’ll rain here too. This village appears to have its own little microclimate: it can be glorious sunshine all day in Newquay just a few miles away and deluging here. Hope you can get into your garden for a bit.
Toady I have an electrician coming round to try and figure out why the kitchen lights start to go out if they’ve been left on more than a couple of hours. I really should get up and take Dennis out soon before he arrives.

I think we have our own microclimate as well. I can get a smattering of snow, and less than a mile up the lane I can be in blizzards and snowdrifts...

I hope you get your electrics sorted quickly.

Have a good day.

Reactions: jjraak and DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 5.9 at 0700 which is satisfactory since I had giant fishfingers for supper. Have been fixating about them all week (ideally in a white bread sandwich with salad cream) so had to get it out of my system so its done. Off to Kent later to dog sit while my friend has a hospital appointment and will then stay till Sunday morning. Not looking forward to the drive around the M25 (dodgems) . So Halloween Strictly in PJs with a gin to hand and LOTS of chat on the cards. @Debandez what a fab result at the aft tea those people are food heroes. @ianpspurs you are so right and easy to overlook. @Muddy Cyclist enjoy the day with your family.
Hope you all have a great weekend. Stay well, stay safe.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 hope you get your lights fixed must admit anything to do with electrics playing up scares me. On the other hand I used my new tumble drier for the first time yesterday and that (and the fishfingers) made my day :D

Reactions: DJC3

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning all from a cold North, the meter of doom was uncharacteristically taking pity on me with a 5.9, after the last few weeks of challenge shall we say I'm more than delighted with it. anyway its only bloomin Friday a weekend full of drink and getting up to mischief, but alas no I'm watching the Rugby and then helping out at an event on Sunday in aid of The Edward Foundation (a charity that helps Bulldogs at risk) so no drinking our debauchery.

Take care everyone.

Reactions: karen8967

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So 2 Sports direct mugs of tea with h/m almond milk produces a rise of 1.2 on right hand and 0.5 on left hand after 2 hrs. Baffling discrepancy apart the question arises what do I do with that?. Some mornings there is no rise and in general over 4.5 yrs, breakfast or not, there is about a .5 rise after 2 hrs. I don't like the idea of eating/drinking anything just for the sake of influencing something that seems to be "one of those things" with 0 nutritional value. I also wonder if using a CGM would throw up lots more little pieces of data like that which don't have a satisfactory answer. Yes, I think this is related to fbg.

Last edited:
Reactions: SaskiaKC