Keep getting told by people that I can get rid of Diabetes Type one

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That was the month before his diagnosis 4 1/2 years ago.
I still don't see any indication why he isn't still honeymooning. Don't forget LADA is a form of T1 in that it's auto immune, but it doesn't behave like 'childhood diabetes' does.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I still don't see any indication why he isn't still honeymooning. Don't forget LADA is a form of T1 in that it's auto immune, but it doesn't behave like 'childhood diabetes' does.

Don't think I ever claimed it did?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't think I ever claimed it did?
Your posting on a thread with the title: "Keep getting told by people that I can get rid of Diabetes Type one" suggests your post has something to do with that subject. If it's a post about prolonging the honeymoon period in LADA's I suggest you start a thread of your own, as it's off topic.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your posting on a thread with the title: "Keep getting told by people that I can get rid of Diabetes Type one" suggests your post has something to do with that subject. If it's a post about prolonging the honeymoon period in LADA's I suggest you start a thread of your own, as it's off topic.
I think that you introduced LADA in the first place without reading what the guy on twitter had to say but I'll be bowing out anyway.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think that you introduced LADA in the first place without reading what the guy on twitter had to say but I'll be bowing out anyway.
He says he's kept healthy bg's for almost 5 years since his T1 diagnosis without insulin.
That means he has LADA, it's quite normal (as normal as T2's getting non diabetic numbers on LCHF) and doesn't have anything to do with getting rid of T1.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You are assuming.. he's the doctor and has diagnosed himself we have no idea? But I'm out goodbye.

I don't feel you shouldn't feel disparaged. You find some interesting & challenging stuff that breaks the mould?
To be fair, These exceptions should be scrutinised. How else can we better understand them.
Lol, I've followed your own scrutiny of the apparent incredulous in the past & rooted for you. ;)

It would be misleading (& rather cruel.) to imply these exceptional cases could apply to everyone. (Which I appreciate you're not here.)

There are at least two "ex T1" members on here. One took the route via transplant. @Grant_Vicat .
The other member? "Daniel Darkes," I personally still can't get my head round..

All I know is. I can't "do it" without insulin. In the past I've done some foolhardy checks on that fact. Including fasting for long periods? I just can't excersise like that for long without fatigue & the need to hit the tap?

I feel it is credible that in some cases of a slow pancreas shut down, there can be steps taken to "compensate." But intimately most T1s get diagnosed with the "classic symptoms" too late. For me it was here to stay as I went into DKA.
Not many non Ds carry a meter about, just "incase.."

The "honeymoon" only serves as the organ splutters it's last to act as a surprise eliments regarding bolusing for whatever diatary, excersise or work routine choice.. (Lol, scrub work routine as a "choice." "Means to an end..)

Best wishes,

J.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Like the others, after 49 years of T1 my faith in a cure in "ten" or "twenty" years has just about vanished, though I'm optimistic for new young T1s.

But the treatment has improved dramatically from my childhood, when the only sugar level test was a test tube, a tablet, 5 drops of urine and ten of water. Glucometers were life changing, and so are cgms (or would be if they worked for me sigh).

There is a (sort of) cure now - I could have a pancreas transplant. (Though obviously that would depend on a match becoming available and the doctors being willing to give me one). Two reasons why I don't want to go down that route - rejection drugs and issues and the fact that though my pancreas doesn't produce insulin it does lots of other useful stuff (glucagon anyone?) and I'd really like for it to continue doing that. But I can see why people go for joint kidney pancreas transplants, as if you need a kidney you might as well get the pancreas too.

And going off topic slightly - given that T1s bodies presumably killed off our insulin producing cells - what's to stop our bodies from killing off any new insulin producing cells that are introduced?
You've really hit the nail on the head @EllieM I was in a very poor state 10 years ago due to failing kidneys. When I was offered a pancreas at the same time, my immediate thought was 'Why have a fully functioning kidney if the defective islets in my existing pancreas are going to allow the same damage?' I would also say that your pancreas (as did mine) produces lipase and amylase which are vital in the breaking down of fat. My current pancreas is doing that, but I had a very unpleasant scare last year when I had 3 times the acceptable levels of both enzymes in the blood, suggesting rejection. Regarding anti-rejection drugs, they do have side effects, the most invasive in my case being tremors in my hands. Although it feels like I have been cured, I am not classified as such. However, like you, I endured years of "There will be a cure in 5 years..." which can be proved by cuttings going back to the early 60's in my 'museum'. With regard to misinformation or lack of understanding, people who have known me for over 30 years, even knowing that I no longer inject, still say "Oh, of course, you musn't have sugar"!! Keep healthy!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find some of these comments akin to those claiming the earth is flat. I am sure there are many 'type 1s' able to stay off insulin for extended periods of time but there is NO evidence to suggest they will live to a grand old age without at least some insulin, basal for example which many people seem to forget about yet is required (eventually) independently of whether you are low carbing or not. Let's face it, even before synthetic insulin came along many people lasted for a while whilst eating low carb...then they died. All type 1s are not at the same stage of the disease either hence the many variations. I find it odd that some posters who are forever asking others to 'produce their definitive evidence' to back up a claim or throwaway remark about low carbing etc, are more than happy to speculate and casually comment and take as gospel, 'evidence' of some one off individual harping on on his twitter account instead of the MANY posters on here. I find it hypocritical.

M

Member496333

All I see is people sharing publicly available information in a free and open discussion among adults. I may have missed some comments, but I haven't seen anyone making any assertions one way or the other about anything. I guess it's a matter of perspective, though.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was in a very poor state 10 years ago due to failing kidneys. When I was offered a pancreas at the same time, my immediate thought was 'Why have a fully functioning kidney if the defective islets in my existing pancreas are going to allow the same damage?'

Now this, I can get my head round..

My wife came back from a hair dressing appointment a good while back. Chatting to the hairdresser (as you would.)
"My husband is a diabetic." came up... "So was mine!" said the stylist.
Turned out his story regarding the new pancreas reflects your account. (My wife relaying it 3rd party.)

Though I get the impression the hairdresser was surprised a transplant wasn't common procedure with all T1s... :banghead:

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Now this, I can get my head round..

My wife came back from a hair dressing appointment a good while back. Chatting to the hairdresser (as you would.)
"My husband is a diabetic." came up... "So was mine!" said the stylist.
Turned out his story regarding the new pancreas reflects your account. (My wife relaying it 3rd party.)

Though I get the impression the hairdresser was surprised a transplant wasn't common procedure with all T1s... :banghead:
The usual reaction I get is "I've never heard of that!" which is not really surprising as only 200 are done a year in the UK as shown on this link:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pancreas-transplant/why-its-done/

Certainly that's considerably more than in 2013.
Keep up the great work!

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Guys?

There is some dodgy ideas out there regarding the reversal/cure whatever, for all types..

Lol, I've seen stuff claiming T2 can be stopped in its tracks on a root vegetable diet, water & strolling for 3 clicks a day...? Then there are the "natural" remedies to add to yer chips. (Fries to our American members.)
Blimey, I've seen tentative claims from the odd member on here, canabis manages BG levels..

It's up to us all to question,debate & discuss these bold claims in the spirit of our forum community ethos rules. Which also protects our vulnerable. Whatever D type.

Let's throw each-other a bone here.. :) Before the mods step up.. o_O

M

Member496333

Blimey, I've seen tentative claims from the odd member on here, canabis manages BG levels..

Interestingly, I wonder if there may be a slither of truth in that for some folk? It lowers the heart rate and brings about a feeling of immense relaxation (allegedly) so I guess it's not impossible that it may lower circulating cortisol levels and discourage the liver from releasing glucose?

Back on topic...

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a resting heart rate between 40/50 bpm. My liver releases glucose first thing every morning as soon as my feet hit the floor. And I’m not a cannabis user.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interestingly, I wonder if there may be a slither of truth in that for some folk? It lowers the heart rate and brings about a feeling of immense relaxation (allegedly) so I guess it's not impossible that it may lower circulating cortisol levels and discourage the liver from releasing glucose?

Back on topic...

I've had access to a meter for a long time. Many years back i have also experimented with the "other.."
One loses focus on the "objective"regarding BG management with cannabis..
Alcohol is another one where you can loose the plot. However. I personally fair better regarding liver dump on waking. Virtually non existent... (& legal.) ;)

Reactions: Member496333