Swimming

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I would like to start swimming to lose weight and improve my bg but I am si scared of picking something on my feet from the pool like an infection etc. And that scares me. Any tips from regular swimmers? Thanks

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I swim regularly and haven’t had any problems with infected feet. My blood sugars are in the normal range and I shower after each swim. If you’re worried you could always wear swim socks

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @claymic I'm a little unsure what you mean, do you mean like a verruca ? Do you have an issue with your feet ?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I would like to start swimming to lose weight and improve my bg but I am si scared of picking something on my feet from the pool like an infection etc. And that scares me. Any tips from regular swimmers? Thanks

You'd likely do far better by adjusting what you eat rather than trying to lose through exercise. ?
No fear of infections either...

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t agree with a point that diet is the best way to go, the best way is to combine both. Increased activity increases glucose metabolism, decreased weight increased glucose metabolism.

Diet is very important but if you can I think its much better to work on both so swimming is a great idea.

The trick with swimming is doing it at a pace that gets your heart rate up a little bit - whatever that pace may be. Doing 30 lengths of chin up breaststroke does not do a great deal apart from helps stretch out your muscles a little bit unless the pace your doing it at gets your heart rate up a bit.

Reactions: KK123

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My bg at the minute are not that great. I am worried of maybe getting things like a nail infection or athletes foot etc. I do have neuropathy and my circulation is not great so I am afraid if I get something it might not heal. Obviously I am looking at my diet as well.

Ideally I want something to keep my feet as dry as possible but so far other than the verruca socks I cant find anything that I can use.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @claymic. A regular swimmer here.
I wear this sort of foot protection in swimming pool. Swim socks. They prevent me from slipping, and are flexible enough for aquafit and swimming. Never had any problems with infections.
(Other brands are available)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JIASUQI-Womens-Lightweight-Water-Swimming/dp/B07QC58RLL/ref=sr_1_8?crid=12UNNDKX3ZN88&dchild=1&keywords=water+socks&qid=1571752775&s=sports&sprefix=Water+%2Csports%2C173&sr=1-8

As others have mentioned, exercise alone has not helped me lose weight, but has helped maintain muscle mass, which is important. Though muscle is heavier than fat. I would concentrate on dietary changes for life, rather than hope exercise would suffice.
I also find that I tend to eat less when I am swimming regularly. Also that feeling of hunger some report after exercise is more likely to be a need for rehydration, so drink plenty of water.

Reactions: lazytech

bmtest

Infection very rare and balance this with the oppotunity of losing weight but use rubber socks the type people with verucca's use or walk to pool with flippers on.