Night lows

crazyhenlady

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am type 1 and on novorapid and lantus . Also lchf diet. I also run typically 3 to 5 miles 2 to 3 x a week. Since starting low carb I tend to get night hypos on run days no matter what time of day I run. My Bgs are usually in the 7 to 8mmol/l before running and sometimes peak at the start of the run then drop towards the end of the run to 4 to 6 mmol/l and i feel great running with these levels.
I dont tend to change my meals or doses as they are stable right up until 2am when they can suddenly drop to 3mmol/l or lower.
The hypos wake me and I correct with 100mls Lucozade which can see me through until morning or I may need to have another 100mls Lucozade at 5am if bg' s plummet again. My overal carb intake is prob only 50g a day.
Generally I feel the healthiest I ever have
Just wondered if anyone else on lchf diet has similar issues and what you do to stop these night hypos happening?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Have you tried altering the quantity of lantus and/or changing the time you take it? (And obviously, chat with your team about this.) Also, are those 3am lows measured with a glucometer or a cgm? (The libre can be very inaccurate overnight).
Have you considered a pump?

Reactions: crazyhenlady

crazyhenlady

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Have you tried altering the quantity of lantus and/or changing the time you take it? (And obviously, chat with your team about this.) Also, are those 3am lows measured with a glucometer or a cgm? (The libre can be very inaccurate overnight).
Have you considered a pump?
Yes EllieM. I have the Freestyle libre and it does often show lower than a blood test although not by much so 3 on the libre is 3.7 blood test. I am reducing my Lantus and seeing if that will help but as my levels are so good over the day im hoping it wont affect them.
I have a check up at the end of the month so will have a chat then with the nurse...although she is not a fan of lchf diet even though i have shown how much it helps me!!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Just another thought @crazyhenlady , and this is only if you're having your lantus at night. Some people say that it has a slight peak at 3 to 5 hours ....

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am type 1 and on novorapid and lantus . Also lchf diet. I also run typically 3 to 5 miles 2 to 3 x a week. Since starting low carb I tend to get night hypos on run days no matter what time of day I run. My Bgs are usually in the 7 to 8mmol/l before running and sometimes peak at the start of the run then drop towards the end of the run to 4 to 6 mmol/l and i feel great running with these levels.
I dont tend to change my meals or doses as they are stable right up until 2am when they can suddenly drop to 3mmol/l or lower.
The hypos wake me and I correct with 100mls Lucozade which can see me through until morning or I may need to have another 100mls Lucozade at 5am if bg' s plummet again. My overal carb intake is prob only 50g a day.
Generally I feel the healthiest I ever have
Just wondered if anyone else on lchf diet has similar issues and what you do to stop these night hypos happening?

You can split your Lantus dose so that you can adjust your night dose, and take less on run days, without affecting your basal during the day. Levemir is a popular basal option as well that is very conducive to splitting, since it generally lasts 10-14 hours at lower doses, so there would be very little overlap. You can also eat a snack that has fat/protein in combination with carbs before going to sleep, such as peanut butter, something with cheese, etc. Taking fast-acting carbs/sugar alone won't last long enough, you need to add fat/protein to it.

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
As I understand it your body heals through the night, so no matter what time during the day you exercised your blood sugar will drop through the night as your muscles repair themselves. On the days you exercise you could try reducing your insulin or increasing your carbs (eg supper time)?

bmtest

nteresting how good the control is running for me that would be asking for hypo later in day or evening as excercise lowers dosages for some time after. You are on lchf diet but chucking lucozade into the body which to me defeat obect as Lucozade is the King of Carbs I feel like I have asked help from devil if i use Lucozade and so you need to decide what is needed you now when hypo occors so get creative and relax your rule become more flexible.