New choices

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
6 months ago I heard omnipods were finally available in Northern Ireland and as it was what I had wanted 5 years ago from the NHS list I gladly got my consultant to order one for me. She said I would have it before my next appointment but I haven't heard back from her.
Then today I get a letter listing my choices of pump now that my warranty was over - see attached photo. It includes the tandem - this was my first choice pump 5 years ago but wasn't on the NHS never mind here. So I'm all in a tizz, chase consultant to see if the omnipod order ever went through? Can I change my mind? Or is being tubeless the best answer anyways? I have been looking forward to tubelessness for some time but I see the tandem, just like a Mobile phone has in warranty updates - over 5 years that's bound to be worth having a tube - who knows what will arrive over that time? Plus will the NHS decide to fund dexcom over that period? I believe it is a cgm and the fact it talks to the pump is marvellous.
I'll have to stew over the weekend before I can ring anyone. Feel like my date is sealed to an omnipod.
IMG_20191026_132718.jpeg

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, it really depends on your needs and what you are looking for in a pump. In regards to CGM, it also depends on your CCG and hospital. Some of us have been approved for just the pump and not the CGM. There is a criteria for a CGM, a very strict one.
Omnipod is great and tubeless if you don’t want your diabetes on show, it’s discreet, but you have to carry the PDM with you and it’s not a closed loop system where it suspend your pump if it predicts a low with your CGM. Medtronic and Tandem have that function with a CGM.

Reactions: LizzieNI

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Mei. Yeah I don't meet the current NHS criteria for cgm funding. So I guess it would be the possible other improvements that happen over the next 5 years that attract me. Though if they're all closed loop related I guess that's not going to apply to me on the NHS. Do you know when NICE are due to review their recommendations?
My sister has the omnipod and says it's not great at staying on in the pool. I use a sauna quite frequently so worry it would come off every time.
The t:slim looks like a nice screen for use, but I think carrying the pump is what I really want away from- mostly due to any cases/carrying devices having worn out over the years. But maybe with the t:slim being smaller than others it won't be as much of an issue- I'm currently using the Aviva combo which is fairly chunky....

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hm, I don’t know, but I do know there will be more affordable CGM options and more closed loop systems and I am hopeful NHS will be opened to that level of technology. I know Dexcom is quite expensive and CCGs in England took a while to approve the libres, some areas aren’t prescribing the libres and it’s shocking. Tandem is very nice & it’s updates can save the NHS money because you can update the software. I heard the belt clip is better and yes it is fairly slim and small. But without the CGM, it’ll function like other pumps.

Reactions: LizzieNI