GAD Autoantibody Help

JoeJOns

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi friends,

I'm just looking for some insight into my situation at the moment. I was diagnosed through DKA recently, I had all the typical symptoms of DKA except when my GAD auto antibody results came back, I was barely on the positive side. I was told by the doctor that generally these antibodies are high in a type 1 diabetic. What could this mean?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I don't think you should read too much into it. Your GP is right in saying that 'generally' the tests come back positive, mine was.

But some T1's don't exhibit high GAD numbers and I believe that the anitbodies can be present in people who are not diabetic. Treat it as a guide as opposed to a rule.

Reactions: Rose22 and JoeJOns

JoeJOns

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think you should read too much into it. Your GP is right in saying that 'generally' the tests come back positive, mine was.

But some T1's don't exhibit high GAD numbers and I believe that the anitbodies can be present in people who are not diabetic. Treat it as a guide as opposed to a rule.
Thank you for the reply! I understand what you mean. What are some of the reasons for type 1's not producing GAD antibodies?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There are more antibodies than only the GAD ones. It might be you would test positive for any of those. I was only tested for GAD (and C-peptide, to see how much insulin I produce). My Gad was negative and C-peptide just below the normal range. I still got a T1 diagnosis based on my history though.

You could ask for the other antibody tests.Are you being seen by your GP or by an endocrinologist? GP's usually don't have too much knowledge about T1, especially not about T1 in adults.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
What are some of the reasons for type 1's not producing GAD antibodies?

That's a good questi0on and one that I cannot answer.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are 3 antibodies they can test for - but I can't remember them right now. You might be positive on one of the others.

You could also have a c-peptide test to measure your natural insulin production. Mine was significantly below the norm

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Be aware that viruses can also cause beta cell death. This is not generally well understood by the experts and I believe is the cause of my LADA signified by a high white cell count shortly before diagnosis. I also have a friend who had a liver virus as the cause. A much more useful test than GAD is the c-peptide which measures the state of beta cells rather than trying to find the cause of their death

Reactions: Rose22

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
A much more useful test than GAD is the c-peptide which measures the state of beta cells rather than trying to find the cause of their death

Agreed. If you're no longer producing insulin then the T1 route is the way to go. I very much doubt that anyone ever bothered to give me a GAD test (diagnosed as a child nearly 50 years ago :)).

On the other hand, I would hope that they did do a c-peptide test, since I believe that a few T2s do get DKA on diagnosis?