LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Afternoon friends,

I was lucky enough to be “upgraded” from the Libre to Dexcom G6 on Friday - so it was quite a day, all in all. Clinical exams in Swansea the morning, straight to the clinic just north of Cardiff in the afternoon! There as only two patients in my clinic with the G6, I’m the first they’ve issued it to; the other arrived there already a user. So I had a fun afternoon as the guinea pig while the rep taught them how to set it up and get it up and running.

I’m using it as the CGM for my Loop DIY artificial pancreas (Libre+MiaoMiao kept drifting off and I was a bit all over the shop) and two days in it seems very stable and reliable. Yesterday I was in my 4-7mmol range 98.6% of the 24h period, which makes me very happy.

The sensor/transmitter itself is much smaller than the Libre+MiaoMiao combo - about 40% of the side, I think. The dressing sticky makes it look much bigger than it really is. Feels secure, and unlikely to catch in the same way Libre is prone to.

The native apps aren’t particularly appealing, so I’m still using Spike for night time alarms and as a nightlight, as the screen is a dark background. I’m just uploading the data via Nightscout. The watch app is a bit basic too, although it does rattle my wrist if I go out of range, which is useful.

So all in all, I’m happy so far, and so grateful to the wonderful NHS for making it possible.

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Wow, you are so lucky.
Iff you don't mind me asking, What was the criteria that they used to allow you to change?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m not entirely sure, to be honest - when I asked, she just said “you need it”. I suspect it’s because they want to see just what I can achieve with it and that it’s not going to be wasted on me. Not only can I understand all the data it throws my way, I act on it and use it to make wise decisions. Maybe they’re using me as an example of what can be done with this technology to secure further funding for it? Ive always been happy for them to use my CGM data via Nightscout for research etc. I’m the only person in the clinic Looping too, and they’re very interested in that - one patient has the 670G.

Reactions: porl69

Cbmod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Please can I ask what pump you are on? I have just got a self funded trial of the G6 and was thinking of trying an open loop to help me with decisions. I would be interested in one day looping but my current pump isn't loopable and I'm really worried about losing funding if I don't use what they have given me!

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Please can I ask what pump you are on? I have just got a self funded trial of the G6 and was thinking of trying an open loop to help me with decisions. I would be interested in one day looping but my current pump isn't loopable and I'm really worried about losing funding if I don't use what they have given me!

Hi @LooperCat is on the Omnipod

Cbmod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you :) I tried to look but it said your profile is limited in who can see it- I probably didn't look properly though!

(Edited for grammar)