Why Do Some People Not Care?

staffs_bloke

I cannot speak for anyone else except myself, obviously, but it is a fact that folk tend to overlook the fact that a person can have more than one major thing wrong with them.

I have T2, but I also have clinical depression and to be honest, a lot of the time I just have no interest in anything that happens to me. Why should I watch what I eat if I have no interest in whether I live or not?

No platitudes or "pull yourself together" etc. please, I've heard them all before.

josie38

Hi stafffs_bloke,

I to suffer from clinical depression and have done for 3 1/2 years but i try to watch what i eat and make an effort to care about my control.

Maybe you should see your gp who could recommend some further help,like a psychologist, to get your depression under control then you could start to care about your diabetes.

Josie

RussG

staffs_bloke said:
I I have T2, but I also have clinical depression and to be honest, a lot of the time I just have no interest in anything that happens to me. Why should I watch what I eat if I have no interest in whether I live or not?

No platitudes or "pull yourself together" etc. please, I've heard them all before.

Hi Staffsbloke,

At the risk of sounding obvious, you must at some level be concerned or you wouldn't be posting here. The question is also one that only you can answer.

But I do think it's good that you are reading the forum, so welcome. If you have questions, people will share their views, like Josie did.

I think a common fault of the healthcare system is treating the condition, not the person, and this often overlooks multiple conditions that impact on each other.

Unbeliever

Hi staffs bloke, I would suggest hat if you are eating then his involves some sort of choice so you may as well make the choice that will do you less harm and cause you less hassle.

Do you mind me asking if your depression is linked o the diabetes?

I think I maybe one of the people that seems not to care :( ,I have type one and have had it for 11yrs now and I eat so much food I shouldn't eat some times I can't believe it myself.
I have never really had good control since having it which I no is not good but It feels like it's just the norm and I do have the mindset that nothing will happen.
I've been warned that my eyes are getting a bit damaged and if I don't get my levels under control the damage will be permeant but it seems not to sink in,I ask myself why as does my worried wife :( but I still carry on.I've spoke to the nurses/doctors and it's like just do this just do that see you next time so I get to the point were I feel what's the point in going,but I really need to sought myself out if not for myself for my kids :cry:

Sorry for such a long post :wink:

annette57

Dislikes
strawberries cold days dark nights rudenness and theives
paula1974 said:
To answer the OPs question - I DONT CARE - at the moment.
I have so much else going on at the moment physically, mentally and emotionally that diabetes just doesnt come into it. Ok I still take my insulin (not enough) and met but then tend to have big blow outs - takeaway pizza being the last one.
My last hbA1c was 6.9. Im due for another soon and yes, it will be a lot higher. But everything else in my life is so f***ed up at the mo.
As Cuglia once said to me "diabetes has to take a back seat sometimes"

this was so me for a long time until my son was getting married an i ended up in hospital 2 days before wedding on a sliding scale. this opened my eyes but i still think the whole implications dont sink in
i was never given proper facts or information just told do this or that and i still feel this is the
case i went to see a dietician recently who couldnt answer my questions and i still struggle .
i have bad control and my latest hba1c is 11.and would love to lower it ......and care.....thank god i have found this site at last.....i can now find the answers and more important the information i am looking for

annette57

Dislikes
strawberries cold days dark nights rudenness and theives
i certainly intend to use this site like my bible you will see many questions from me :D

AliB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
As I haven't posted on here very often until now, I missed jumping in at the beginning, but I feel one of the biggest problems is that we have become a very 'dependent' and in some ways 'brainwashed' society - having had the ability to think for ourselves overwhelmed by a plethora of 'Big Brother' tactics. We are told what to do in so many areas of our lives that we follow without question.

Since the induction of the Welfare System, the ability to think for ourselves on the subject of health has largely been taken over by the Medical Profession.

These days people tend to rely on their Doctor to give them the 'pill to end all ills', and never stop to even wonder if there is any alternative, or whether they could actually do anything themselves to help their situation or even prevent it in the first place.

Unfortunately, the medical profession is not about prevention, or cure. They are about maintenance. And the only people who really benefit from maintenance are the pharmaceutical companies.....

It is good to see that some people have taken back responsibility for their own health. It is quite liberating to realise that Doctors don't have all the answers, and that you don't have to follow the well-trod path of 'diabetic complications' and the inevitable slide into 'progressive' degeneration.

The other issue is that carbohydrates are very addictive. We are a very self-indulgent society. If we want it we have it. What we want, when we want it and as much as we want.

Food is such a necessary part of our life. We cannot avoid it - it's not like alcohol where you have a choice as to whether you drink it or not. We HAVE to eat food. But what type of food is completely up to us. We can listen to the 'experts' but what actually goes in our mouth is completely our responsibility.

Having the ability to put two and two together and realise that what goes in our mouth = how our body responds to it, is a big step forward.

People seem to think that the body is a bottomless garbage can. They can throw whatever they like at it and it 'can take it'. Not true. If your car can't run on Coca-cola then why would you think that you can? Not all food is good food. Not all food gives the body what it needs. Food can harm, or food can heal. Food can damage, or food can repair. Food can degenerate, or food can restore. The right food can also prevent.

What is garbage and what is good? Again we are too busy listening to the 'experts' to actually go away and find out for ourselves. Much of what we are told is 'right' has entered in to the public psyche through the media with little or no real 'evidence'. More brainwashing....

Something is causing the explosion in Diabetes and obesity. What is it? It can't be fat - Society has been eating low-fat for the last 40 years and that hasn't stopped it. Meat? Nope - there are plenty of societies that eat copious meat but don't get diabetes. Fruit and vegetables? There are plenty of communities that eat lots of fruit and veg that don't get diabetes.

So what's left?

I'll leave you to figure that one out for yourselves.....

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Public Health is a recognised medical discipline and is about prevention of ill-health, among other things.

AliB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It may be a recognised medical discipline - but what do they actually prevent? If they could stop people getting diabetes, we wouldn't have the epidemic on our hands. They don't appear to even 'know' what causes it, let alone prevent it.....

They haven't yet stopped people getting cancer, or lung disease, or heart disease, or multiple sclerosis, or arthritis....or....or....

They come up with ideas like - reduce fat to lower your cholesterol, or reduce salt to lower your blood pressure, or stop smoking to reduce lung cancer, but in reality many people still get high cholesterol whether they lower their fat intake or not, they still get high blood pressure whether they lower their salt intake or not and they still get lung cancer whether they smoke or not. Apparently, 50% of lung cancer sufferers have never smoked.

Prevention is about not getting it in the first place.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually, Public Health works on populations, not individuals - attempting to reduce numbers / % of people within a given population eg country / region / county getting certain conditions.
In some situations, this approach has been very successful eg
Compare how many people died of cholera in 19th century London with how many people die of faecal borne infections in London these days.
Immunisation has led to virtually no cases of polio in UK since 1960s, and TB cases have reduced, too, despite limitations of BCG vaccine.
Food poisoning & contamination is very much rarer now, due to work of environmental health officers and food safety inspectors.
While evidence is controversial, passive smoking can affect lung cancer rates. Asbestos is a factor in many cases of what is called lung cancer by lay people, but is usually mesothelioma, cancer of chest wall lining, but exposure to asbestos fibres is compounded by smoking.

But outbreaks still occur eg lower rates of MMR immunisation has led to increase in cases of measles; foot & mouth outbreaks occured when veterinary public health and farm hygiene broke down.

Advice given by public health professionals requires individuals to take actions themselves.

Sweetwii044

Dislikes
Diabetes, Sometimes Parents, Homework
You do whats right and you'll stay healthy and well. "Don't give in to temptation" -easier said than done :(

paula1974

Update. I did have my hba1c a couple of months ago. It was higher than normal - 8.2% too be expected BUT it shook me up and I have started caring. Yes, I do have multiple conditions and was diagnosed imn March with a cateract (they cant say whether diabetes related or not), but I have to care about ALL of them, including diabetes. I am due hba1c in Sept. Hopefully massively improved. I will update.

It may be a pain, and complications sometimes see a log way away, but you must care. It is a serious illness and must be treated with respect. I understand how some people dont care, but one day you will get a wake up call in one way or another.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Thanks for your post, Paula - so glad to see that you've taken control again and started to care for yourself. We're all here to cheer you on - please let us know what your next HbA1c is! :D

Viv 8)

edited once for typo :oops:

paula1974

Hi Viv, as promised - my results. And IM SO PROUD OF MYSELF!!!

Hba1c - was 8.2, now 6.7!!!
Total Chol - was 4.7, now 4.2
HDL stayed at 1.1
LDL - was 2.8, now 2.2
Trig - was 3.2 now 2.1

Am so happy and yes, I DO CARE!!!!!

Paula

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
Funny, since diagnosed t2 18 months ago I almost never eat any sweet stuff. Was not a big sweet eater before diagnosis though rather a savoury man. Low carb diet also now.

One man's meat....

Funny, since diagnosed t2 18 months ago I still smoke around 12 cigarettes per day and drink aprox 8 bottles+ of red wine per week.

One man's meat....

I work very hard, play very hard, have excellent bg control, down from high at diagnosis(metformin, low carb diet) a feel pretty good.

One man's meat....

squeeze321

Dislikes
Hypos
Hi everyone,

I don't know why some people don't care. Maybe they feel restricted by diabetes and I know that I used to when I was a child (diagnosed at 9).

I have known many T2 diabetics in the past who regularly forgot their Metformin but still ate anyway, then they would tell me how ill they felt afterwards. :shock: If I did that I would be dead! I hate high blood sugars because they do make you feel so sick and unwell.

I like to have an occassional treat, which I think is healthy because you don't feel deprived, or that your missing out just because your diabetic. What I don't like is when you get 'brittle' none diabetics who say " you can't have that" Urghhhhh I just tell them to wind their neck in :)

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
squeeze321 said:
I like to have an occassional treat, which I think is healthy because you don't feel deprived, or that your missing out just because your diabetic. What I don't like is when you get 'brittle' none diabetics who say " you can't have that" Urghhhhh I just tell them to wind their neck in :)

I got angry with someone once when they tried that. I think I remember saying something along the lines of "I'm old enough and ugly enough to know whether or not I can eat a slice of cheesecake on my birthday meal out!" lol